Right Foot, Left Foot

On second thought, if you’re squatting over 300 lbs, your back is probably fairly strong already. I’d be surprised if you couldn’t DL more than me. Are you getting any particular problems from the back?

Welcome, I like waffles.

DDay have you tried switching to sumo DL?

Welcome. Good luck in your pursuits. Your training regime sounds similar to mine. Pushing 37 years old, I train for both powerlifting and races of all sorts (Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, countless pump and runs, sprint triathlons), despite the fact that I too hate running (exerise-induced asthma sucks). I also eat low carb and use Fitday to keep track of my eating.

5/3/1 worked well for me last year, but I switched to a modified Westside template a few months ago to gain muscle endurance for my pump and runs. And while I am certainly no expert, but I would be cognizant of not overtraining. For me, at age 36, cardio everyday is too taxing on my system. That may be a factor of also running a caloric deficit so that I lose weight, but my joints also appreciate the down time.

Echoing sentiments above, the Warrior Dash is not that difficult given the fact that the obstacles break up the cardio. And unlike the Tough Mudder, none of the obstacles are demanding.

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Welcome, dday. You say your spine is twisted - is it scoliosis? I have scoliosis, and have learned how to DL. Just had my first meet yesterday, in fact, and lifted stronger than ever before. (Oh god, now I’m bragging on other peoples’ threads. I may be getting completely unbearable.)[/quote]

Thats it exactly. Please share how you do it, any tips I can get I’m excited to learn. Congrats on you meet, feel free to brag, gives me a goal to strive for.

My chiro pretty much said no DL no squat but I’ve never been a good listener and honestly I feel better now than I have in years. Mine curves from the pelvis to the left through the lumbar, back to the right through thoracic and back left in the cervical, the twist is in mostly the lumbar. [/quote]

My (former) chiro told me never to squat or deadlift again. Bulged disks and what not. Haven’t had a problem in years. I have a couple of training partners who are record holders with scoliosis. It’s not a deal breaker.

[quote]PeteS wrote:

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Welcome, dday. You say your spine is twisted - is it scoliosis? I have scoliosis, and have learned how to DL. Just had my first meet yesterday, in fact, and lifted stronger than ever before. (Oh god, now I’m bragging on other peoples’ threads. I may be getting completely unbearable.)[/quote]

Thats it exactly. Please share how you do it, any tips I can get I’m excited to learn. Congrats on you meet, feel free to brag, gives me a goal to strive for.

My chiro pretty much said no DL no squat but I’ve never been a good listener and honestly I feel better now than I have in years. Mine curves from the pelvis to the left through the lumbar, back to the right through thoracic and back left in the cervical, the twist is in mostly the lumbar. [/quote]

My (former) chiro told me never to squat or deadlift again. Bulged disks and what not. Haven’t had a problem in years. I have a couple of training partners who are record holders with scoliosis. It’s not a deal breaker.

[/quote]

I have three herniated and was almost put in a position to get a fusion with a cage. However I decided to strengthen my back instead. Just my .02 DDay, however maybe your Chiro would rather you stay somewhat weaker in the back so he has repeat business? You have more risk doing Squat than DL with scoliosis. Just a thought.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Have you looked into this article from a few months ago?.. admittedly some of it was a bit over my head, but I have the attention span of a goldfish.

[/quote]

Thanks Matty, I have not read that article yet but plan to today at lunch. Gotta get that squat down so I can at least mean it when I say how much I squat.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
DDay have you tried switching to sumo DL? [/quote]

I toyed with it once or twice, never really tried to pull heavy. It is a great idea. Hows this for a plan, run 5/3/1 BBB and do my normal rack pull for the 5/3/1 then the BBB sumo to see how it feels…yep, I like it, Thursday it begins.

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I toyed with it once or twice, never really tried to pull heavy. It is a great idea. Hows this for a plan, run 5/3/1 BBB and do my normal rack pull for the 5/3/1 then the BBB sumo to see how it feels…yep, I like it, Thursday it begins.[/quote]

I switched to Sumo in fall of 09, dropped and worked on my form. About 6 months ago switched back to conventional and tweeked the back. I decided fuck it I want to grow an ass anyway and went back to sumo and have no plans to ever switch back. I have short arms so leverage is all fucked up for conventional. Maybe you have the same problem.

[quote]kickernine wrote:
Welcome. Good luck in your pursuits. Your training regime sounds similar to mine. Pushing 37 years old, I train for both powerlifting and races of all sorts (Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, countless pump and runs, sprint triathlons), despite the fact that I too hate running (exerise-induced asthma sucks). I also eat low carb and use Fitday to keep track of my eating.

5/3/1 worked well for me last year, but I switched to a modified Westside template a few months ago to gain muscle endurance for my pump and runs. And while I am certainly no expert, but I would be cognizant of not overtraining. For me, at age 36, cardio everyday is too taxing on my system. That may be a factor of also running a caloric deficit so that I lose weight, but my joints also appreciate the down time.

Echoing sentiments above, the Warrior Dash is not that difficult given the fact that the obstacles break up the cardio. And unlike the Tough Mudder, none of the obstacles are demanding. [/quote]

No doubt, sounds like we’re working for simular goals. I have a feeling you’re right about the cardio everyday might get to be to much. I’ve walked everyday on higher calorie diets before but never walked/ran daily on a low calorie diet. As the Government says, this is a living document(program) so it will change and evolve along the way.
Thanks for the advice, I certainly try to listen to everyone.

[quote]PeteS wrote:

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]cavalier wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks, very encouraging to say the least. I try not to let it keep me down, traditional deadlift has so far been the one lift that’s given me consistant problems.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I have three herniated and was almost put in a position to get a fusion with a cage. However I decided to strengthen my back instead. Just my .02 DDay, however maybe your Chiro would rather you stay somewhat weaker in the back so he has repeat business? You have more risk doing Squat than DL with scoliosis. Just a thought.[/quote]

I should have stated he is my former chiro, guy turned out to be the kind that gives them all a bad name. I’m in the market for a new one but he has to understand that I’m going to lift, those guys seems few and far between around here.
When I first starting lifting seriously again just standing in the smith machine with 205 killed me, I did a lot of reverse hypers and light weight good mornings for reps which has helped considerably. I can now good morning 175x15, not huge numbers but when I started something like 95x10 was a PR.
It’s a process.

If your doing 5/3/1 and the BBB template maybe use the rack pull as an assistance exercise with Sumo DL being the main lift of the day…that being said does anyone have the EFS article that tells you if you should be pulling Sumo or Conventional?

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I toyed with it once or twice, never really tried to pull heavy. It is a great idea. Hows this for a plan, run 5/3/1 BBB and do my normal rack pull for the 5/3/1 then the BBB sumo to see how it feels…yep, I like it, Thursday it begins.[/quote]

I switched to Sumo in fall of 09, dropped and worked on my form. About 6 months ago switched back to conventional and tweeked the back. I decided fuck it I want to grow an ass anyway and went back to sumo and have no plans to ever switch back. I have short arms so leverage is all fucked up for conventional. Maybe you have the same problem.[/quote]

I’m actually all arms and legs, can’t buy a long sleve shirt they all stop in the middle of my forearm.
Thursday is back day so I’ll get a video of me pulling and post it in here both styles to see what everyone thinks about form.

[quote]dday wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I have three herniated and was almost put in a position to get a fusion with a cage. However I decided to strengthen my back instead. Just my .02 DDay, however maybe your Chiro would rather you stay somewhat weaker in the back so he has repeat business? You have more risk doing Squat than DL with scoliosis. Just a thought.[/quote]

I should have stated he is my former chiro, guy turned out to be the kind that gives them all a bad name. I’m in the market for a new one but he has to understand that I’m going to lift, those guys seems few and far between around here.
When I first starting lifting seriously again just standing in the smith machine with 205 killed me, I did a lot of reverse hypers and light weight good mornings for reps which has helped considerably. I can now good morning 175x15, not huge numbers but when I started something like 95x10 was a PR.
It’s a process.
[/quote]

There are a few Chiro’s on here tom63 and such. Maybe start a thread in the injury rehab section asking for good chiro’s in your area? Just a thought.

As a guy who has done traditional medicine for almost 20 years I firmly believe there is a place in medicine for chiro’s. Bad part is there are some that will convince you that they can heal ear infections with a neck adjustment.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
If your doing 5/3/1 and the BBB template maybe use the rack pull as an assistance exercise with Sumo DL being the main lift of the day…that being said does anyone have the EFS article that tells you if you should be pulling Sumo or Conventional?[/quote]

I have asked Wendler if you are going to do competitions in the future then Conventional. If you are a meat head try to be strong and live longer, then I dont think it matters.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
If your doing 5/3/1 and the BBB template maybe use the rack pull as an assistance exercise with Sumo DL being the main lift of the day…that being said does anyone have the EFS article that tells you if you should be pulling Sumo or Conventional?[/quote]

I have asked Wendler if you are going to do competitions in the future then Conventional. If you are a meat head try to be strong and live longer, then I dont think it matters.[/quote]

I found this http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deadlift_with_style.htm is that the one you’re talking about Matty?

Its not the one I was looking for but Im actually glad you found it, it looks interesting, and I have to drop the kids of at the pool so I just printed it out for some good ol terlet reading!

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Its not the one I was looking for but Im actually glad you found it, it looks interesting, and I have to drop the kids of at the pool so I just printed it out for some good ol terlet reading![/quote]

I just take the laptop in when floating one to Valhalla.

I’m really starting to see how every training log over here is 24 pages long, I’ve been reading through some of them as time permits, there are some strong guys here. So on to the purpose of this log, diet and exercise.

Break down from yesterday:

6am- cardio 30min
7am- 3 scoops ON Whey @25gs protein
9amish- half serving almonds and 8oz of Swai fish (no idea what it is, it was on sale)
12:30p- about 8oz of chicken veggies
around 3p- 8oz of Tilapia and almonds
4:45p- training(posted eariler)
6pm- Surge recovery post workout
7:30p- dinner 8oz chicken cooked in EVO with veggies
8:30ish- 2 tbsp natural PB with 1 scoop ON chocolate and 6oz of 2% milk, I don’t drink much milk and my wife like 2%.
10p bed.

4-4-2011
Diet:
P-405g
C-93g
F-140g

total calories:

Cardio:
30 min walking 3.5-3.8mph 10* incline

About 400 calories low of my goal and carbs were higher than I like however more than half were from PWO surge, still under 100g’s for the day. Probably need to get the fat up and the protein down, protein is at 2 grams per “lean” pound. I did not include any veggies when I entered this into fitday, CT says he doesn’t count green veggies.
Suggestions? Am I on track?