Right Direction, Lacrosse Training?

I’ve done a lot of reading on this site as well with others, all of which pulling me in opposite directions at times it seems, so I thought I’d post here and get some suggestions about my particular situation.

I’m entering lacrosse season. I dont know if a lot of you are familiar with it, but its a cardio intensive sport like soccer but is full contact, kinda like hockey. Anyway, I’m straying way off topic.

I have access to a well-equipped gym and am able to go there 5 times a week. I’m willing to spend however long it takes to get results in the gym: time is no factor.

I’m basically looking to be setup with a weight-training program and a cardio plan which will keep me balanced, since I can’t be a big muscular slug out there. I’ve read a lot of articles about doing cardio and consequently having muscle loss, and that kinda worries me.

Some stats:
6’4
190lbs. yes, i’m a skinny fuck.
Anything else? Ask

Anyway, any tips, suggestions, opinions, whatever and I’d be greatful. Thx.

I am not an expert nor as experience as many of the people who post here about weight lifting and bodybuilding but I am very familiar with LAX! (I still play in a very competitive league and I’ve been out of school for…uh…well let?s just say a long time.) So my general advice to you is to hit the weights! At 6’4 I’m guessing you’re a defender so you need to have the strength to stand you ground and speed to chase those attack-men. You?ve come to the right place cause the guys that post here know what they are taking about and you should find some good work outs. I wouldn?t worry about becoming a slug though. Remember Lacrosse isn?t really a sport so much as it is sanctioned armed combat! Little has changed since the Iroquois invented it, we just can?t kill anyone on the field and take their scalp any more! Rock on!

I am not an expert nor as experience as many of the people who post here about weight lifting and bodybuilding but I am very familiar with LAX! (I still play in a very competitive league and I’ve been out of school for…uh…well let?s just say a long time.) So my general advice to you is to hit the weights! At 6’4 I’m guessing you’re a defender so you need to have the strength to stand you ground and speed to chase those attack-men. You?ve come to the right place cause the guys that post here know what they are taking about and you should find some good work outs. I wouldn?t worry about becoming a slug though. Remember Lacrosse isn?t really a sport so much as it is sanctioned armed combat! Little has changed since the Iroquois invented it, we just can?t kill anyone on the field and take their scalp any more! Rock on!

I played lacrosse for about 9 years up until recently so I have some experience with this. For me the best decision I made was using Joe Defranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards combined with a twice weekly track session. I followed the program as close as my equipment would allow. For the running I just did one medium distance day 200-600 meters and one shorter day 20-100 meters. Not real scientific I know. As long as you have some athleticism and strength you will do fine assuming your skills are on par. Before and after every session I would throw against a wall, 100 right/left handed 100 switching right to left/ left to right. Keep your fundamentals sound.
If you don’t mind telling, what state are you from? Despite what my information says I was born and raised in Maryland, where real lacrosse is played( sorry guy from Michigan).

I must give respect where repect is due and as Scottiscool states Maryland is a hotbead for Lacrosse! Here in the midwest it is just catching on. I am proud to say that when I played it was still pretty rare, we had to travel out of the state to play a lot of the teams.

Oh and why did my post appear twice?

If your coach is like ours, you’ll be running alot. I wouldnt suggest any outside track workouts. And maybe a very basic 3 day a week 2 compound movements per workout.

Obviously, since you already know you’re a ‘skinny fuck’ you need to eat. Especially practicing for 3 hours a day, you’re going to need to eat that much more.

Its getting old, but EAT EAT EAT is the best advice for you. You seem to have a fast metabolism, and add more cardio to the mix and you’re going to have to eat your fuckin ass off all day everyday.

Just think about it this way, generally, the bigger you are, the harder you hit.

have a good lawyer on retainer and stay away from team parties.

At the very least–don’t go to the bathroom alone! Have someone with you that can verify times,places,etc…

Its funny cause its true.

[quote]BodynDragnet wrote:
I’ve done a lot of reading on this site as well with others, all of which pulling me in opposite directions at times it seems, so I thought I’d post here and get some suggestions about my particular situation.

I’m entering lacrosse season. I dont know if a lot of you are familiar with it, but its a cardio intensive sport like soccer but is full contact, kinda like hockey. Anyway, I’m straying way off topic.

I have access to a well-equipped gym and am able to go there 5 times a week. I’m willing to spend however long it takes to get results in the gym: time is no factor.

I’m basically looking to be setup with a weight-training program and a cardio plan which will keep me balanced, since I can’t be a big muscular slug out there. I’ve read a lot of articles about doing cardio and consequently having muscle loss, and that kinda worries me.

Some stats:
6’4
190lbs. yes, i’m a skinny fuck.
Anything else? Ask

Anyway, any tips, suggestions, opinions, whatever and I’d be greatful. Thx.[/quote]

Here’s a couple random thoughts:

1.) Yes, you’ll be pulled in multiple directions by this site. This site is about weightlifting in general, and isn’t really sport-specific. Thus, many of the articles and posts won’t be much use to you.

2.) You’re not going to become a big muscular slug. Don’t worry about that for now.

3.) You should probably limit your lifting during the “on” season for any sport. Otherwise your performance on the field will suffer. I.e. only lift once or twice a week, and do it when you don’t have practice the next day. That said, if you don’t really care that much about this season, lift as much as you want, and be twice-as-strong for NEXT season. You?re body will tell you when you?re training too much. Listen to it.

4.) Westside for Skinny Bastards. Search for it. Squatting and Deadlifting will up your sprinting and hitting power.

5.) Cardio causing muscle-loss is not your concern right now. You want strength and power, not big showy muscles. You need the cardio/endurance-work to last through a game.

6.) Try interval training. I.e. jog for 3 minutes, SPRINT like a motherfucker for 1 minute, jog for 3 minutes, repeat until you puke. Wipe your mouth off and do it some more.

Just some thoughts.