T Nation

Riflemen & Assorted Others

Anyone ever done this: http://appleseedinfo.org/

Thinking about bringing the boy and learning some rifle skills.

I haven’t but there was a guy on get off the x that does it and has a thread about it I believe.

getoffthex.com and search for it if interested.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
I haven’t but there was a guy on get off the x that does it and has a thread about it I believe.

getoffthex.com and search for it if interested. [/quote]

Thank you sir…

Now to convince the wife I need a .22 for this class… AND the bigger rifle for once I’m done, lol.

I’ve been seriously considering it as I would love to take a basic rifle course and they have one close by several times a year. I’m a little hesitant because of the “history lesson” part of the course. I’m not saying that the history they teach is bad, (I really don’t know either way) but I read a FUCK LOAD of history, and if what they teach is inaccurate or dumbed down that would annoy me.

I’d be happy just to shoot and go home and read a book.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I’ve been seriously considering it as I would love to take a basic rifle course and they have one close by several times a year. I’m a little hesitant because of the “history lesson” part of the course. I’m not saying that the history they teach is bad, (I really don’t know either way) but I read a FUCK LOAD of history, and if what they teach is inaccurate or dumbed down that would annoy me.

I’d be happy just to shoot and go home and read a book.[/quote]

I have similar concerns but it isn’t like I’ve never had revisionist history thrown at me lol. Most Oliver Stone films just about anything politically/historically themed on HBO or Showtime has to be worse than what these people are going to tell me.

Why not just join a range and start making friends? From what I can see, they want you to be able to have a 1inch grouping at 25 meters. I’m sure someone at the range would be willing to give you a few pointers to get you started.

[quote]Will207 wrote:
Why not just join a range and start making friends?[/quote]

Already doing that.

The point would be these guys are here to teach me, and other, specifically.

I’m not big on asking anyone, friend or not, to give me the kind of attention this class would, for free, and take away from their enjoyment time. If they offered it is different.

You know what I’'m saying?

I’m not bashing your idea as much as saying I’d be more comfortable taking a class than trying to constantly pick the brain of someone who might very well just want some alone time at the range after a brief “how’s it hanging” conversation.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:
Why not just join a range and start making friends?[/quote]

Already doing that.

The point would be these guys are here to teach me, and other, specifically.

I’m not big on asking anyone, friend or not, to give me the kind of attention this class would, for free, and take away from their enjoyment time. If they offered it is different.

You know what I’'m saying?

I’m not bashing your idea as much as saying I’d be more comfortable taking a class than trying to constantly pick the brain of someone who might very well just want some alone time at the range after a brief “how’s it hanging” conversation. [/quote]

I didn’t mean to suggest you and your boy show up and start asking for lessons, but yea I know what you’re saying.

I’ve been looking online at various pistol and rifle courses and some seem way over the top on the volume of shooting they have doing. I’m talkng 1500 rounds. For me at a certain point too much practice becomes counter productive. It’s better to lift weights one hour a day six days a week, than lift for six hours one day a week.

I’ve been looking online at various pistol and rifle courses and some seem way over the top on the volume of shooting they have doing. I’m talkng 1500 rounds. For me at a certain point too much practice becomes counter productive. It’s better to lift weights one hour a day six days a week, than lift for six hours one day a week.[/quote]

My sweet spot is between 250-350 per day. I believe frequency is more important than volume.

Yo Beans, you might be interested in some of the NRA basics courses. They include a lot of fundamentals like gun safety and even cleaning that I’m personally not interested in now, but would have loved when I bought my first firearm 15 years ago.

This is what I’m leaning towards myself: bangsteel.com. I have no experience with scopes myself, other than shooting a few friend’s rifles so once I scope up my M-14 I’m going to take one of their courses.

Yo Beans, you might be interested in some of the NRA basics courses. They include a lot of fundamentals like gun safety and even cleaning that I’m personally not interested in now, but would have loved when I bought my first firearm 15 years ago.

This is what I’m leaning towards myself: bangsteel.com. I have no experience with scopes myself, other than shooting a few friend’s rifles so once I scope up my M-14 I’m going to take one of their courses.[/quote]

Thanks! I’ll look into it.

Very much a novice in all respects to firearms. OUtside of being comfortable I can clear the vast majority of weapons I’ll ever come across, I’m a total newb!