T Nation

Rifle Trouble

Alright, I’ve put about 60 rounds through my recently bought used M1A. I haven’t been able to put a zero on it since then. I’m putting 3-shot groups in 2-2.5" at 100 yards from a prone position with SA milsurp.

This doesn’t seem like a problem except that fact that I group well, then adjust my sights to center mass but the next group is always somewhere else completely off of where it should be. The next group is still 2-2.5" though.

My sights aren’t loose. Any ideas what the problem could be?

mike

These are iron sights? You are saying that after you sight it in, when you adjust for distance back and forth it doesn’t group where yoy think it should? I don’t know the exact problem, but it has to be your sights. Has a gunsmith looked it over? Next step.

My first guess is the sights. After that I would check the inletting. If the barrel isn’t free floated or at least well bedded shooting prone can cause different points of impact because of variances in hand placement.

[quote]brownab wrote:
If the barrel isn’t free floated or at least well bedded shooting prone can cause different points of impact because of variances in hand placement.[/quote]

say what?

i would say you’re simply adjusting the sights wrong, are you using a mil-standard zero paper target?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
brownab wrote:
If the barrel isn’t free floated or at least well bedded shooting prone can cause different points of impact because of variances in hand placement.

say what?

i would say you’re simply adjusting the sights wrong, are you using a mil-standard zero paper target? [/quote]

I agree, the easiest way to sight in a gun in put it in a gun vise shoot a round at a target, then adjust sights to where the round hit

Basic question…did you start at mechanical zero?

I was at the range with a buddy last fall. He had a similar problem, but with an M4 not M1A. He solved it by adjusting the rear sight to full stop one direction, then the other and brought it back to mechanical zero. For some reason, the sight was binding and bringing it one way then the other worked out the “kink”.