T Nation

Rifle Lovers

Where’s Elkhntr when you need him!?!

Got to love the G36c and it’s price is comparable to a M16, cheap for a high quality HK.

Kind of new, but very cool. HK makes the ulitmate M16, the HK416 and there’s talk about a HK417 chamber in 308(7.62x51mm)

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:
Blood is Metal wrote:
diesel25 wrote:

You silly Wabbit! Bang!

I think you mean Elmer J. Fudd.

I am considering a Mini 14 as well. Love the AR too. Still doing the comparison pros / cons.

I’ve been shooting a Mini-14 for years, and love it. Much more accurate than an SKS.

Irish: see if you can find a reproduction Sharps 1874. Unbelievable accurate, and more fun that a barrel full of monkeys.[/quote]

That’s breech loading right? I have seen pictures of’em. Sharps rifles were wicked for the accuracy- I think they were the sharpshooter’s choice in the civil war

[quote]CEZAR wrote:
Kind of new, but very cool. HK makes the ulitmate M16, the HK416 and there’s talk about a HK417 chamber in 308(7.62x51mm)[/quote]

OMG! I am in love. Too bad the normal guy would have to take out a second on his house to purchase one tho…

[quote]Blood is Metal wrote:
CEZAR wrote:
Kind of new, but very cool. HK makes the ulitmate M16, the HK416 and there’s talk about a HK417 chamber in 308(7.62x51mm)

OMG! I am in love. Too bad the normal guy would have to take out a second on his house to purchase one tho…[/quote]

Correcting myself, a NORMAL guy probably couldn’t buy that anyway, no matter what! But a guy can dream, right?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
A friend of mine had a british FAL .308, and that thing was a cannon. Like an AR-15 on steriods. We used to take that, his mini-14 bullpup, and my SKS out and go ballistic on water jugs and a couple of old cars.
Now all I have is a Savage .243 bolt action. Not as much fun as just going apeshit with a nice semi auto, but what the heck- It goes boom![/quote]

FN FAL is Belgian. As far as I know it was fully auto, we had the semi version known as the SLR and also 7.62mm. Now of course we have the SA80 which uses the standard Nato 5.56 like the M16.

Lee Enfield .303 bolt action, now thats a rifle !

[quote]Blood is Metal wrote:
Blood is Metal wrote:
CEZAR wrote:

OMG! I am in love. Too bad the normal guy would have to take out a second on his house to purchase one tho…

Correcting myself, a NORMAL guy probably couldn’t buy that anyway, no matter what! But a guy can dream, right?[/quote]

I think since most of the tech like the gas piston system they borrowed from the g36 and the fact that they are trying to compete FN for the SCAR contract, the price won’t be as high as normally a HK rifle like the HK53 would be.

Also I think they might also just sell the upper reciever which has all the upgrades. I’m not up on the laws, but i don’t see anything illegal about that the normal person couldn’t buy.

How bout people start listing their rifles? I have a few, I’m not going to list them at the moment, I’m going to make the list sometime tomorrow, and will be up sometime tomorrow.

So what do you guys have in your closet, I have a 3 shot guns, and 7 rifles.

Hand guns I have about 10, only 4 aren’t part of the cowboy collection I have.

[quote]DrewZ wrote:
diesel25 wrote:
Any rifle lovers here? I’m over my head about buying the commercial version of the M-16. I’ve had some time on it in the military, and won’t mind shelling out over a grand to get one!

Any others here?

If you like the M16/M4, then check out the SR25. Like a 16, only bigger, heavier, and it shoots a 7.62, .180 grain. I personally am in love with the 300 Win Mag though. Having been physically attached to an M16 or M4 for 12 years I think I’ve developed an allergy to them.[/quote]

The SR25 is one awesome rifle. The secret service countersnipers use them. What a great weapon. I think the SEALS were using them in afganistan as well. Nice. Very nice.

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I would be interested in hearing the opinions of other military and ex-military T-men on the illustrious M16. Sorry, but I’m with Zap on this one. Poodle shooter. Maybe the new M4s are vastly superior to the M16A2s I used, but for some reason I kind of doubt it.

Let’s forget for the moment the pipsqueaky gas system that always seems to collect lint, dirt and grime, the aluminum body that displays scratches and dings in the most brilliant silver. Let us even forget the weak ejector that sometimes, just for fun, dumps a hot shell down the back of your neck.

No, my friends, my beef with the M16 is its cartridge. Who the fuck had the bright idea to equip American combat soldiers with a rifle firing a varmint round with which to kill their enemies? Must have been a European. :wink:

Give me my M14 any day. I’ve got the slightly shorter barreled “scout” model, with a complete accuracy job by Fulton Armory.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the Garand. But it’s a bit long (I’m not so tall), and so not so good in cramped quarters, and that clip ejecting after the last shot…“CLANNNNGGG!!”

No, thanks.

Hell of a cartridge, though. "Ain’t too many troubles that a man can’t fix/with seven hundred dollars and a thirty-ought-six!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
That’s breech loading right? I have seen pictures of’em. Sharps rifles were wicked for the accuracy- I think they were the sharpshooter’s choice in the civil war[/quote]

Yes, breech loading. The one I’ve shot was a .45-70 with 400gr bullet. Plenty of power!!!

V

If given the choice I would take an M-14 over an M-16 any day.

Agree the cartridge is the primary reason. A 7.62 puts the man down with one shot. A 5.56 can and often does but not as reliably as the 7.62. I never fought in close quarters but I would take the M-14 if I had too. Much better penetrator especially thru cover.

Now then you want to talk stopping power most of my experience is with the 120MM smoothbore and the 50 cal. M-2…a little rough on the recoil side of the equation but either are reliable one shot stoppers and hiding in a building makes little difference :slight_smile:

Or for you aficionados of black plastic, behold the M14 SOCOM.

And remember, it’s not an “assault weapon” because it doesn’t have that evil, deadly pistol grip!

[quote]hedo wrote:
V

Agree the cartridge is the primary reason. A 7.62 puts the man down with one shot. A 5.56 can and often does but not as reliably as the 7.62. I never fought in close quarters but I would take the M-14 if I had too. Much better penetrator especially thru cover.

Now then you want to talk stopping power most of my experience is with the 120MM smoothbore and the 50 cal. M-2…a little rough on the recoil side of the equation but either are reliable one shot stoppers and hiding in a building makes little difference :)[/quote]

I agree about the 120MM. Gunner…sabot…tank!

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

No, my friends, my beef with the M16 is its cartridge. Who the fuck had the bright idea to equip American combat soldiers with a rifle firing a varmint round with which to kill their enemies? Must have been a European. :wink:
[/quote]

I think the idea is that the .556 is a “wounding” round as opposed to a “killing” round. High-powered and small, so it goes right through the target, knocking him down and requiring at least one other guy to help pull him out of the action.

Good thread,
Bob

[quote]hedo wrote:
V

Now then you want to talk stopping power most of my experience is with the 120MM smoothbore and the 50 cal. M-2…a little rough on the recoil side of the equation but either are reliable one shot stoppers and hiding in a building makes little difference :)[/quote]

Speaking strictly close quarters the m-4 is nice but I would go sub-machine gun probably an ump 45 with hollow points. A silenced mp5 is nice but the caliber is not therefore an mp10 takes precedence.

My favorite rifle that I own is my old Marlin .30-30. It is only 38 inches long, lever action, and has open sights. That rifle is a lot of fun to shoot.
Love the M16A2 because I grew up on in the Marines. The M-4 is beauty of a rifle, but my unit doesn’t have them. I’ve heard great things about the M-4 with the ACOG sights.
The AK-47 and it’s varients haven’t come up yet. What say you T-Nation?

Semper Fidelis