Ridiculous Teacher Suspension

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
The only thing worse than that girl calling 911 is the authors writing. And the fact that it reads (horribly) like an advertisement to get rich people to come to their neighbourhood, doesn’t help either. How many times did it say that it was the “richest” or second “richest” zip code in America?[/quote]

This, lol.

If anything, besides the whole Atherton blah blah blah richness bit, it seemed to me as if that girl has some mental issues/traumas or whatever. If anything they should be looking into her situation and whatnot.

/Armchair psychology

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
[

The dispatcher replied: ‘Think happy thoughts’.

[/quote]

That is so fucking awesome. I’m going to have to tell everyone at work. I wonder if I’d get in trouble for saying something dumb like that. Better hold off until I’m off probation. Best recorded dumbshit thing on our system is a cop running a subject to us and he said “black male” you can hear the subject in the background yelling “I’m not black”. The cops says “correction white male”.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
[

The dispatcher replied: ‘Think happy thoughts’.

[/quote]

That is so fucking awesome. I’m going to have to tell everyone at work. I wonder if I’d get in trouble for saying something dumb like that. Better hold off until I’m off probation. Best recorded dumbshit thing on our system is a cop running a subject to us and he said “black male” you can hear the subject in the background yelling “I’m not black”. The cops says “correction white male”.
[/quote]

LMFAO! That’s hilarious.

Sounds like your typical little 14 year old self-entitled asshole.

Is the economic status of her parents and peers any coincidence here? Do we believe that a 14 year old girl from a lower economic class would be cowering in the bathroom while dialing 911 in the same situation?

Fucking UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

Is the economic status of her parents and peers any coincidence here? Do we believe that a 14 year old girl from a lower economic class would be cowering in the bathroom while dialing 911 in the same situation?

[/quote]

I know, right?

Yes, I’m sure this shit is happening around the world - but my guess is it’s mostly 1st world countries that are breeding this type of shit.

You’d probably be hard pressed to find this kind of news coming out of Russia or Southern Africa (The parts that have schools).

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[/quote]

I know, right?

Yes, I’m sure this shit is happening around the world - but my guess is it’s mostly 1st world countries that are breeding this type of shit.

You’d probably be hard pressed to find this kind of news coming out of Russia or Southern Africa (The parts that have schools).[/quote]

In Soviet Russia, desk rattles you…And then the KGB storms in and captures 4 of your class mates for having rational thoughts.

I had a teacher in Jr. High who recently passed away, great teacher though.

He had a paper club, that is to say a roll of paper about 1m long and probably 4" in diameter that he used to beat students with when they got unruly. The funny part is that he was quite small and even in Jr. High most of us could easily have taken it away from him and beat him with it but he used it as an opportunity to give kids who needed a little movement break a movement break.

If anyone knows who Jarome Iginla is (plays for the Calgary Flames) I distinctly remember that teacher chasing him around the class whacking him with the club. Good times. . .

Her phone had run of out batteries? Seriously, it ran out of battery life, or the battery died. What dumb shit wrote this article?

[/quote]

Do poor kids have cell phones? Most poor schools already have police and swat on site at the school anyway.

[/quote]

I don’t think being wealthy has to do with it, I think it is more of a societal thing where people are content now, so they lose track of their priorities. I doubt any of my children would be scared of this guy, they might straighten up, but for the first two weeks all I heard was “you ain’t my daddy.” I tried using the, “well then I’ll just call up your daddy.” But that pretty much stopped after I started getting, “good let me know when you get a hold of him, he owes my mama child support.” Now, they fear the wrath of reciting Latin for grades, except the ones with fathers and then I usually let them get their asses beat when they get home.

The kid is probably a mental case. I’ve known kids like her.

What horrible reporting. Atherton is about 400 miles from Santa Monica. The median wage of $200,000 and median home value of $4,000,000 are correct. As someone else said, most rich people do not make most of their money from wages, but from investments or by taking money out of the companies they own. Also, Atherton has a lot of retired people who bought their houses for under $1,000,000 (sometimes way under) in the 1970s and 1980s and these houses are typically paid for.

No need for teacher’s unions. If the administration does not support this teacher, the administrators should be replaced. It is like any relationship between employer and employee. A sensible employer treats his employees fairly if he wants to stay in business. (This only works in education if parents have a choice of schools.)

While this idea does not always work in practice, teacher’s unions are much worse than free competition. Any benefits from having a union are overwhelmed by the union’s ability to keep bad teachers from being fired while also keeping good teachers from being paid more, so over time, talented teachers leave the field, and only the bad ones remain, except in exceptional school districts.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
The only thing worse than that girl calling 911 is the authors writing. And the fact that it reads (horribly) like an advertisement to get rich people to come to their neighbourhood, doesn’t help either. How many times did it say that it was the “richest” or second “richest” zip code in America?[/quote]
I was thinking the same exact thing. How is that information even a relevant part of the news story?

[/quote]

It is surely unbelievable, but if she really was THAT scared by so little, there is something wrong with her. It doesn’t matter how much money her parents make if they’re also beating their kids/allowing abuse/whatever. Or she just could be a nutcase, who knows… My concern was more over how the school dealt with it.

[quote]parsnip1965 wrote:
The kid is probably a mental case. I’ve known kids like her.

What horrible reporting. Atherton is about 400 miles from Santa Monica. The median wage of $200,000 and median home value of $4,000,000 are correct. As someone else said, most rich people do not make most of their money from wages, but from investments or by taking money out of the companies they own. Also, Atherton has a lot of retired people who bought their houses for under $1,000,000 (sometimes way under) in the 1970s and 1980s and these houses are typically paid for.

No need for teacher’s unions. If the administration does not support this teacher, the administrators should be replaced. It is like any relationship between employer and employee. A sensible employer treats his employees fairly if he wants to stay in business. (This only works in education if parents have a choice of schools.)

While this idea does not always work in practice, teacher’s unions are much worse than free competition. Any benefits from having a union are overwhelmed by the union’s ability to keep bad teachers from being fired while also keeping good teachers from being paid more, so over time, talented teachers leave the field, and only the bad ones remain, except in exceptional school districts.[/quote]

All this sounds great, sounds like a dream. But the realist in me wonders if this sort of systematic change could actually work. Also, after taking a look at the school districts with voucher programs, the results weren’t/aren’t so nice.

So, basically, I agree with your ideal, but I wonder how we can possibly get there. Eh, IMO without systematic change, just tearing down a union will just make things worse.

my 2 cents.

[quote] jaseyhcx

In Soviet Russia, desk rattles you…And then the KGB storms in and captures 4 of your class mates for having rational thoughts.[/quote]

Lol you have it all wrong

That was one of the dumbest news articles I have ever read and I’m not just talking about the girls actions. A middle school student could write a more coherent article than that. I don’t understand why the author felt the need to tell the audience that the incident took place in the area that it did multiple times. It wasn’t really THAT relevant to the story.

This is what I mean:

[i]The shakedown took place at Selby Lane School in prestigious Atherton near Santa Monica in California â?? one of the most expensive zip codes in the country.

Atherton, were Stanford church stands, is one of the most expensive places in America to live. The average house costs an enormous $4 million

Atherton came second in Forbesâ??s list of the most expensive zip codes to live in in the country.

The average cost of a house in the 94027 code is a staggering $4,010,200, just short of the number one spot in Duarte, California, where the average house price is $4,276,462.

Residents, where the average wage is nearly $200,000 a year, include Google CEO Eric Schmit and Republican nominee for California Governor, Meg Whitman. [/i]

This person needs to find a new career.