Ridiculous Made-Up Lifts

The one that I see the most that drives me nuts is standing side bends while holding a 45 lb plate in each hand. WTF the weight is balancing each other out your are only giving yourself a minor grip warmup.

If I was to make up an exercise I’d do Curls in the Squat Rack while on a Bosu ball, talking on the phone, and watching youtube on a laptop.

Pretty much any physioball exercises should be thrown out the window. Number one, they don’t really help you do anything functional. Number two, why would you want to sacrifice the amount of actual weight you can move by performing a movement on an unstable surface. Ridiculous if you ask me. Like that guy doing the squat on the ball in an avatar above. What the hell kind of sense does that make…yeah, I can squat on ball with 135lbs?!? Lame!

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
I did a shirted, reverse band two board press once. True story.

Depending on the shirt and the bands, I think it would take around 1000 pounds on the bar to make that an effective lift.[/quote]

Not quite. It’s a pretty effective way of building lockout strength. I’ve heard Big Iron does this once a week.

I miss my old gym…always rigging some goofy shit together with bands, chains, and specialty bars.

[quote]gremlin1267 wrote:
Like that guy doing the squat on the ball in an avatar above. What the hell kind of sense does that make…yeah, I can squat on ball with 135lbs?!? Lame![/quote]

I haven’t a clue what they’re trying to accomplish. Someone sent me the pic and it cracked me up.

I just wish there was a video.

It will take a bit of visualization, but picture this:

Seated good morning with a traditional clean style grip

So, as you lean forward more than 5 degrees, the weight no longer rests on your delts and you have to hold them up in your hands. Obviously, you usually do a seated good morning with the bar across your back… but not for this champ.

I read about some trainer prescribing it (maybe here on T-Nation?) and needless to say, that trainer was soon fired.

[quote]al1492 wrote:
gremlin1267 wrote:
Like that guy doing the squat on the ball in an avatar above. What the hell kind of sense does that make…yeah, I can squat on ball with 135lbs?!? Lame!

I haven’t a clue what they’re trying to accomplish. Someone sent me the pic and it cracked me up.

I just wish there was a video.[/quote]

[quote]VonStinkle wrote:
Hell i’ve practically been told that weight training period doesn’t really exist. Some people are just so very special.[/quote]

The girl in your avatar is super cute! God damn.

[quote]GrayCrane wrote:
al1492 wrote:
gremlin1267 wrote:
Like that guy doing the squat on the ball in an avatar above. What the hell kind of sense does that make…yeah, I can squat on ball with 135lbs?!? Lame!

I just wish there was a video.

Hahaha good find