T Nation

Ridiculous Gym Numbers

Alright, I’m not the biggest guy in the world but look like I’m in pretty good shape, and because of that I get approached about all things workout related. It usually starts with “what ya bench?” And when I reply I get the"I used to bench (insert made up number)" or “my cousin can…” And despite the fact I know they’re talking out their ass, I usually let it slide. But, in the last two weeks I’ve had two separate coworkers (superiors actually) tell me something so fucking stupid I couldn’t let it go.

First, the area director of my dept tried to tell me he can currently run a 4.3 40. This guy’s early 30’s, about 5’5" and maybe 150 lbs. That was so fucking stupid I had to call him out, and we ended up arguing about how my middle aged area director could keep up with a young Randy Moss in a sprint. I then of course challenged him to a sprint and he hit me with the ol’ “just did legs yesterday” routine and I could only nod and walk away. He also tried to tell me he can do 72 ( SEVENTY-TWO) pullups in a row. You can imagine my reaction to that…

Yesterday, my manager was asking about leg training. We were going over some things and he said that when he was in high school wrestling (which he told me several times he was"gifted in") that he set the school record in the squat at 650 lbs. This kid is 5’7"and 150 lbs soaking wet. “No you didn’t” fell out my mouth without even thinking, and I explained to him that that would be a world record and yada yada yada, and he started back peddling til he wound up at 5-hundo.We argued for awhile and he hit me with the “I’m pretty sure I got at least 5 hundred, 'cause I remember being really proud of that” to which I could only laugh and excuse myself.

So, either my company exclusively promotes closet physical specimens or I’m surrounded by morons.

Got any big fish gym stories to share?

I used to work with a guy that would tell obvious lies about his bench…I don’t remember the numbers but I knew at the time it was hogwash.

The same guy said he could run a mile faster than me or said I was too fat to run it in whatever time ( I think my fastest, like 20 years ago was 5:50) so I arranged to meet him at the local high school track some Saturday at noon and he didn’t show up…At work later I asked him why he didn’t show up and he said he did but that it was me that didn’t show. I actually called him an idiot or whatever because it was always him challenging others or making fun of how much they (well me) could lift.

Haha, the funny (sad) thing is that that dude is so fucked up he may have really believed that you bailed. Observing how defensive pathological liars get about their bullshit is a trip.

I dont give enough of a fuck to care about bullshit stories.

Even if I did see it I wouldn’t really care. Possibly because I am just interested in myself where the gym is concerned.

HOWEVER!

Should these people get adoration by the ignorant masses or actually try to ‘help’ other people with their shitty ways then I will don the whiteknight armour and gladly tell them where to go.

Be a cunt in your own world but dont ever try and help others to be like you is something I firmly believe in.

My roommate overheard a guy in his class telling a girl that he benches 840 raw

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Alright, I’m not the biggest guy in the world but look like I’m in pretty good shape, and because of that I get approached about all things workout related. It usually starts with “what ya bench?” And when I reply I get the"I used to bench (insert made up number)" or “my cousin can…” And despite the fact I know they’re talking out their ass, I usually let it slide. But, in the last two weeks I’ve had two separate coworkers (superiors actually) tell me something so fucking stupid I couldn’t let it go.

First, the area director of my dept tried to tell me he can currently run a 4.3 40. This guy’s early 30’s, about 5’5" and maybe 150 lbs. That was so fucking stupid I had to call him out, and we ended up arguing about how my middle aged area director could keep up with a young Randy Moss in a sprint. I then of course challenged him to a sprint and he hit me with the ol’ “just did legs yesterday” routine and I could only nod and walk away. He also tried to tell me he can do 72 ( SEVENTY-TWO) pullups in a row. You can imagine my reaction to that…

Yesterday, my manager was asking about leg training. We were going over some things and he said that when he was in high school wrestling (which he told me several times he was"gifted in") that he set the school record in the squat at 650 lbs. This kid is 5’7"and 150 lbs soaking wet. “No you didn’t” fell out my mouth without even thinking, and I explained to him that that would be a world record and yada yada yada, and he started back peddling til he wound up at 5-hundo.We argued for awhile and he hit me with the “I’m pretty sure I got at least 5 hundred, 'cause I remember being really proud of that” to which I could only laugh and excuse myself.

So, either my company exclusively promotes closet physical specimens or I’m surrounded by morons.

Got any big fish gym stories to share?[/quote]

If they are your superiors at work. You’re barking up the wrong tree. They are threatened by you. By calling them out you’re making them feel more like the little bitch they truly are.

Take their job, then tell them how weak they are!(This should be a courage wolf)

I like measurements more than lifts.

I’ve been told by a dude that he had 36 inch biceps when he was in college…

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
My roommate overheard a guy in his class telling a girl that he benches 840 raw[/quote]

Did he actually qualify the lift to her by announcing it was “raw”? Like some fucking sorority girl would stop him mid sentence and ask “wait, was that shirted?” And then chastise him for wearing cheater gear.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
My roommate overheard a guy in his class telling a girl that he benches 840 raw[/quote]

So he raw dogs 800lb-er chicks and tells other chicks about it? :slight_smile:

occasionally i work in camp, just happened to sit at the dinner table with 2 guys who are friends with biggest guy in camp… est. 6’ 3" 250lbs, pretty big dude, anyways they proceed to tell me he has benched 700+ and squatted 900+ but this was in his prime. LOL it seems every where i go i am surrounded by record breaking lifters.

I never believe somebody’s reported numbers unless I see video, witness it in person, or have someone I know and trust about these things witness it. That includes everyone here, and is especially true for bench and squat numbers.

Just imagine if Eric Spoto had shown up here two years ago claiming he could rep 600 for a triple without video evidence. He would’ve been laughed out of existence.

This fucking asshole at work tried to tell me he used to squat 315 in high school, when he played soccer. There is no possible way this is true. It made me want to crush his face with my forehead, but then again I get that same urge every time I look at this skinny fat motherfucker. I don’t think I’ve ever hated anyone as completely and with as much reason as I hate this dude.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
It made me want to crush his face with my forehead[/quote]

classic!

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I like measurements more than lifts.

I’ve been told by a dude that he had 36 inch biceps when he was in college…

[/quote]

Gold

People talk shit to make themselves feel better, about how shitty there lives are.

At my job right now i am the youngest person in my department by a good 25 years, and to hear the geezers that i work with talk about how much more athletic they were at my age, its a wonder that they weren’t professional athletes with there 700 lb. bench presses and there 4.20 40 yd dashes that they supposedly had, instead of cutting meat at a grocery store.

this thread made me laugh while in the library

When I was in high school there was this girl on the softball team who told me she could squat 315 and was surprised that I couldn’t squat a lot more. After a few minutes of insisting that she was mistaken, because I didn’t think there was any way she was actually squatting 315, we came to the realization that she doesn’t know what a squat is. She could legpress 315…

in high school I had a huge crush on my friend and her giant boobs. She worked at the gym I lifted at and was actually pretty toned. She claimed a 135 bench. Her coworker said he spotted the rep and that she did do it. I laughed and said she couldn’t do it without the spot.

She got under 135 and just got absolutely crushed. I thought her boobs were going to explode so I pulled the bar off, and still she claimed “I almost had it!” lololol

[quote]csulli wrote:
When I was in high school there was this girl on the softball team who told me she could squat 315 and was surprised that I couldn’t squat a lot more. After a few minutes of insisting that she was mistaken, because I didn’t think there was any way she was actually squatting 315, we came to the realization that she doesn’t know what a squat is. She could legpress 315…[/quote]
hahahaha that’s why I usually don’t respond to people asking or claiming about numbers. In the end, they don’t look like what they claim

[quote]csulli wrote:
When I was in high school there was this girl on the softball team who told me she could squat 315 and was surprised that I couldn’t squat a lot more. After a few minutes of insisting that she was mistaken, because I didn’t think there was any way she was actually squatting 315, we came to the realization that she doesn’t know what a squat is. She could legpress 315…[/quote]

That’s what I told my world record squatting manager. Tried to give him an out by saying “maybe you meant leg pressing…” but he insisted out was a squat. He also tried pantomiming an air squat and was fully on his toes with his hands by his ears before he hit quarter depth. I don’t understand why someone would boldface lie about something to someone who clearly knows what they’re talking about.