Ridiculous Creatine Rumors

So, how many other high schools have the rumor going around that creatine will put holes in your muscles and ruin all athletic ability? I train a few athletes at a local high school and a couple of them were calling me throughout the day and trying to figure out if this was true or not. I wonder where people come up with this.

“holes in your muscles”? Weird, just weird.

[quote]mj_gk wrote:
So, how many other high schools have the rumor going around that creatine will put holes in your muscles and ruin all athletic ability? I train a few athletes at a local high school and a couple of them were calling me throughout the day and trying to figure out if this was true or not. I wonder where people come up with this.[/quote]

Someone has GOT to inform Biotest. And then, someone has GOT to call katie couric.

[quote]mj_gk wrote:
So, how many other high schools have the rumor going around that creatine will put holes in your muscles and ruin all athletic ability? I train a few athletes at a local high school and a couple of them were calling me throughout the day and trying to figure out if this was true or not. I wonder where people come up with this.[/quote]

I can only imagine how tired someone would be if they spent their time trying to shoot down the many rumors that pop up in high school.

Tell them no, thats not true, but it is true that their dicks will fall off.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Tell them no, thats not true, but it is true that their dicks will fall off.[/quote]

I wish I could, but that’s what Vitamin B12 does…

“Creatine is the same as steroids”.

I dunno man, your boy Old hitter lays some knowledge down about creatine. Bad stuff according to him.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1414604

holes in the muscles? crazy. i do stay away from creatine myself though. i passed a kidney stone last year for the first time ever, and it hurt like hell. i didn’t know what it was at first either so it was scary too.

after it was analyzed, the crystal was shown to be made up primarily of creatine powder with a smaller amount of calcium around the outside. the urologist believes that the creatine formed the initial chrystal which then collected calcium that would have otherwise flushed through my body due to the make up of the stone.

i had never had kidney problems prior to then. after an x-ray, my kidneys are shown to be pockmarked with kidney stones, and the doc believes they were formed in the same way.

now that they exist, they will only grow and grab on to any substance passing through even though i’ve quit using creatine.

not cool. i followed the recommended doses and drank more than the required water as well.

i would be curious how many other people have impending kidney problems, as stones aren’t generally looked for until one is passed and you don’t know you have one until it sends pains shooting up your sides strong enough to curl you in a fetal position on the ground.

texasguy, how much were you taking when you were taking it?

[quote]Rusty Barbell wrote:
texasguy, how much were you taking when you were taking it?[/quote]

5 grams per day, mixed with grape juice in the morning after my work out. i drank a gallon if not more of water every day.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
after it was analyzed, the crystal was shown to be made up primarily of creatine powder with a smaller amount of calcium around the outside.[/quote]

Was it made of creatine or creatinine? They are different things, although related. The kidneys extract and excrete creatinine.

[quote]yorik wrote:
texasguy wrote:
after it was analyzed, the crystal was shown to be made up primarily of creatine powder with a smaller amount of calcium around the outside.

Was it made of creatine or creatinine? They are different things, although related. The kidneys extract and excrete creatinine.

[/quote]
creatine according to the doc.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
[/quote]

You sure? The way creatinine is pronounced, it often sounds like creatine.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
texasguy wrote:

You sure? The way creatinine is pronounced, it often sounds like creatine.[/quote]

yes. he mentioned creatinine and the risk of elevating it’s amounts during creatine ingestion, but said that the stone was made up of undigested creatine.

really, i wouldn’t doubt if lots of creatine users have kidney stones because of it and just don’t know yet. you never know they are there until they drop and cause problems.

apparantly they just drop at random and can sit for a few months, or a few decades.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
yes. he mentioned creatinine and the risk of elevating it’s amounts during creatine ingestion, but said that the stone was made up of undigested creatine.
[/quote]

That makes no sense. How does undigested creatine get from the intestines to the kidney? Not possible.

You need to get this clarified.

[quote]yorik wrote:
texasguy wrote:

That makes no sense. How does undigested creatine get from the intestines to the kidney? Not possible.

You need to get this clarified.
[/quote]

It doesn’t make much sense. He probably simply heard wrong or misunderstood what was being said. It is a huge leap to make a claim that creatine CAUSES kidney stones when many times the cause of them is unknown. Just because you never got a kidney stone previously but got one during a period of using creatine doesn’t mean that creatine caused it. Was the stone sent off to a lab after it was passed? How was he able to determine what minerals it was composed of?