Ridiculous Amount of Sodium in Olives

I love olives green, kalmata, and black but whenever I look at the sodium content its something ridiculous like 260mg per table spoon (due to the brine). Should I avoid them or is there another source u guys buy them from aside from the jar stuff at supermarkets?

Should I be worried about my Sodium content at age 23?

I’m not concerned about too much sodium, but I do rinse and store my olives in filtered water to improve their taste.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
I’m not concerned about too much sodium, but I do rinse and store my olives in filtered water to improve their taste.[/quote]

Me, too. Same thing with beans.

Don’t be that concerned with sodium if your young, active and getting enough potassium. Simplified, yes, but it’s the basic truth.

Unless you have an underlying health problem or are in the last week of sodium/water manipulation for a bodybuilding contest, I don’t think you should be concerned about sodium consumption.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
I’m not concerned about too much sodium, but I do rinse and store my olives in filtered water to improve their taste.[/quote]

Does that affect shelf life? I assume the brine is to preserve the olives

[quote]therajraj wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
I’m not concerned about too much sodium, but I do rinse and store my olives in filtered water to improve their taste.

Does that affect shelf life? I assume the brine is to preserve the olives[/quote]

He probably rinses them off right before he eats them, so they’re still preserved in the sodium until eaten. At least that’s what I do.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
HK24719 wrote:

Does that affect shelf life? I assume the brine is to preserve the olives[/quote]

It might over the long term, but I usually eat them in a week or two and have never had a problem.

Rinsing and soaking in pure water brings out the olive’s flavor.