Rick Perry, comedy genius

I think you guys should cut the department of world domination also well know as the department of defense.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
We do need to increase funding to the D o D in terms of our northeastern border with French Canada. We would need at least 100 troops in order to invade and conquer Quebec so we can implement an aggressive eugenics program there.[/quote]

I think 20 troops is sufficient.

Yes, they would surrender. We are speaking about French Canada, after all.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
SM, tell why the National Weather Service should not be privatized.

Be careful not to cite Fedex, UPS and the USPS as an example. Be very, very careful.[/quote]

It provides essential services and privatising essential services is almost always a mistake. I don’t know enough about your government departments but I haven’t heard anyone explain how they would re-allocate responsibilities, how much it would cost, how they would go about doing it etc.

[quote]kamui wrote:
Yes, they would surrender. We are speaking about French Canada, after all. [/quote]

That’s the thing about French rifles. Always a bargain. Never been fired and only dropped once.

EDIT: I kid BTW

‘World War I cost France 1,357,800 dead, 4,266,000 wounded (of whom 1.5 million were permanently maimed) and 537,000 made prisoner or missing - exactly 73% of the 8,410,000 men mobilized, according to William Shirer in The Collapse of the Third Republic. Some context: France had 40 million citizens at the start of the war; six in ten men between the ages of eighteen and twenty-eight died or were permanently maimed.’

[quote]kamui wrote:
Yes, they would surrender. We are speaking about French Canada, after all. [/quote]

At least we don’t have to pay for an army, we can always count on our US ally. And no need to conquer us we are already subservient to the US.

Yep, but that’s funnier when i say it.

The thing that I don’t understand about the Department of Education is that most things concerning education are done on the Local and State Level.

Does anyone have any insights on what the Department does?

Mufasa

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
SM, tell why the National Weather Service should not be privatized.

Be careful not to cite Fedex, UPS and the USPS as an example. Be very, very careful.[/quote]

It provides essential services and privatising essential services is almost always a mistake. I don’t know enough about your government departments but I haven’t heard anyone explain how they would re-allocate responsibilities, how much it would cost, how they would go about doing it etc.[/quote]

I disagree.

AND I DO get to cite Fedex, UPS and the USPS as an example. [/quote]

I don’t know enough about the US postal service but it was a huge mistake when they privatised it here. I realise there’s a push to privatise the US postal service - I would need to know more about it to make a decision. When I say ‘essential services’ I’m talking about things like water, electricity, roads, emergency services etc I’m not advocating big government via nationalised industry, healthcare etc

That’s what I think in general about privatisation. Privatisation can help pay off the national debt which is what Thatcher did in the 80’s. However Britain had far more nationalised industry to privatise than US did(coal, steel, oil etc.) Being a much smaller country Britain can afford more nationalisation than US of course.

All of the things you are citing have been privatized with raging success in the past(For example, the roads that made the Industrial Revolution possible in Britain were private). Have you actually studied real privatizations in the past or just ones where goods were handed off to cronies?

[quote]kamui wrote:

Yep, but that’s funnier when i say it. [/quote]

Thats just bullshit, it would take one Frank or Norman Knight and they would collectively piss their pants.

Before or after their beheading, the knight would neither know nor care.

And the Grand Armee, Napoleon and whatnot.

Gods on the battlefield, all of them.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
All of the things you are citing have been privatized with raging success in the past(For example, the roads that made the Industrial Revolution possible in Britain were private). Have you actually studied real privatizations in the past or just ones where goods were handed off to cronies?[/quote]

I’m not opposed at all to road or infrastructure privatization.

However, be careful what you wish for-- the trend is that more and more highways are being bought/leased/managed by foreign owners. Research the toll roads in your area and you may be surprised to find that it’s owned by or being leased/managed for 50-99 years to a foreign entity.

Ditto cargo ports, airports, wastewater systems, utilites, etc.

That’s profit that doensn’t stay in the US.

Ask Rick Perry about Cintra. Google Transurban Group, Macquarie Infrastructure Group, Veolia Water, etc.

I work for an IT company that provides real-time systems to utilities, energy, highways (think EZ PASS, passless tolls, etc)-- ie. Infrastructure. The checks from our work in the US come increasingly from foreign companies.

You know who owns your electric company? Gas company? Toll Highways? Local port? Airport?

The guys is an obvious retard.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
All of the things you are citing have been privatized with raging success in the past(For example, the roads that made the Industrial Revolution possible in Britain were private).
[/quote]

I know about the turnpike trusts - and the canals and the railroads. The turnpike system was a failure. And the fact that the roads were privatised during the early industrial revolution does not mean the industrial revolution would have been stymied had they been nationalised.

[quote]
Have you actually studied real privatizations in the past or just ones where goods were handed off to cronies?[/quote]

No, but I know a bit about English history as it relates to the issue - the enclosing of the commons, the roads, canals, railways, the East India Company, Suez canal, the nationalisation of the British railways, the nationalisation of industry in the 50’s and 60’s and the privatisation during the Thatcher years. They weren’t so much ‘handed’ to cronies as sold to them in order to help pay off the national debt.