Rich Franklin Moving Up to 205

He is slated for UFC 88 at 205 vs Matt “The Hammer” HamilL

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AlCmUI1sseWCZIjp1e707n09Eo14?slug=mmajunkie-Franklin_Hamill_UFC_88&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

Article states Rich’s move up most likely won’t be permanent, but if he stays there for more than this fight, it could provide for some interesting match ups. I know it has been talked about for a while, but this is the first time I have seen it reported as happening.

As for his fight vs Matt Hamill. I am a big Matt Hamill fan (got to support my fellow deaf fighters, being hard of hearing myself), but honestly I do not see him standing a chance against Rich, even with the obvious strength advantage. I feel sort of bad for Matt as I think he is improving and can become something, but right now at 4-1, he wins off strength alone really. His punches are beyond slow and although strong, if he faces anyone worth a damn, I don’t consider him having a real chance. His submission game is just as bad. Telegraphed and slow. On the flip side, I think it is a good fight for Matt, if he wins, WOW, if he loses maybe it will force some perspective into where he really is at.

On the flip side, this seems like an odd move for Franklin. I know he has no where to go but 2nd place with Anderson sitting on his chest, but at 205 the level of competition is stiff and there are a lot more “top” guys than at 185. Where does he think he can go there? And a loss to Matt Hamill? Geez then what?

I dunno, opinions?

I always thought Franklin seemsed like a big middle weight, but I don’t know if he can hang in that weight class. I would be interested to see him versus Liddell; I don’t think at this point he would be a good match up for Jackson. I just see Franklin being overpowered.

That being said, good luck to him. He has always come off (to me at least) as one of the more classier fighters.

He isn’t going to beat Anderson, and they won’t let him sit around plinking off title contendors. Probably a good move for his career in the UFC.

That’s a tough fight for Franklin. Hamill is a beast and could easily lay-and-pray his way to a decision.

Great news…he made the right decision.

OMC

I train with Rich and his short term goal is to put a little time in LHW, but I believe you’ll see him back in MW not too far in future. He’s getting things settled for his retirement, but he’s not done yet. He’s a huge MW and actually can make a pretty large LHW. As you know he fought in that weight class for awhile.

I see Rich beating Matt, but it will definitely be a great fight.
Remember, Rich has a few fights he must do either way on the contract. I think you’ll see Dana find some exciting fights with Rich involved. Don’t count Ace out yet. Everybody thought Rich was Anderson years back. Unbeatable. Silva will lose someday and somebody else will be called unstopable.

Side note: Rich is spending much of his time right now training at JG’s. That’s odd for him. He told me he misses teaching and he’s going to be doing it soon again. Knowing Rich and that being said, he’s thinking retirement soon. That’s easy to say when your a fighter, but hard to do. I tried it and I came right back. That bug you get to fight and train is too much…lol

So obviously take what he says with a grain of salt right now.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
That’s a tough fight for Franklin. Hamill is a beast and could easily lay-and-pray his way to a decision.[/quote]

That’s true and that will be his gameplan. I don’t see him keeping Rich down though.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
He isn’t going to beat Anderson, and they won’t let him sit around plinking off title contendors. Probably a good move for his career in the UFC.[/quote]

I agree. I don’t see that he has many fights left in him so they will have him fight a couple of well known guys in the stacked LHW division to help sell PPVs. This makes much more sense.

[quote]Millhouse340 wrote:
I train with Rich and his short term goal is to put a little time in LHW, but I believe you’ll see him back in MW not too far in future. He’s getting things settled for his retirement, but he’s not done yet. He’s a huge MW and actually can make a pretty large LHW. As you know he fought in that weight class for awhile.

Remember, Rich has a few fights he must do either way on the contract. I think you’ll see Dana find some exciting fights with Rich involved. Don’t count Ace out yet. Everybody thought Rich was Anderson years back. Unbeatable. Silva will lose someday and somebody else will be called unstopable.

Side note: Rich is spending much of his time right now training at JG’s. That’s odd for him. He told me he misses teaching and he’s going to be doing it soon again. Knowing Rich and that being said, he’s thinking retirement soon. That’s easy to say when your a fighter, but hard to do. I tried it and I came right back. That bug you get to fight and train is too much…lol

So obviously take what he says with a grain of salt right now.[/quote]

That’s cool that you train with Rich. Do you fight as well? What weight class?

Do you do most of your training at Gurgel’s place?

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Millhouse340 wrote:

Do you do most of your training at Gurgel’s place?[/quote]

Yeah I have fought for about 5 years now. Trained MMA for about 8 years. Really buckled down last few years.

I fought my first two fights at 205 and now I get down to 185. It’s rough, but I make it.

I train at Jorge’s mostly, but also travel around a bit. I trained with Andre Arlovski and POW in Chicago for a awhile. I originally was a Nova Unaio fighter years back (BJ Penn, Vitor Riberio,Renato Varissimo,John Lewis,etc affiliate). Trained my Jiu Jitsu under a Carlson Gracie Black belt for years.

I train my boxing and Muay Thai a couple other gyms as well in Cincy. I was a HighSchool and College Wrestler.

I have a small MMA School affiliated with Nova Unaio. It’s been a slight issue with Jorge, but…it’s just how it’s going to be. Love training MMA and have a fight coming up soon. I have a overall record of 8-1, but haven’t fought for 2 years. It’s going to be tuner for my return. Very excited, but (I’ll admit) nervous.

Djwlfpack wrote:
Millhouse340 wrote:

Yeah I have fought for about 5 years now. Trained MMA for about 8 years. Really buckled down last few years.

I fought my first two fights at 205 and now I get down to 185. It’s rough, but I make it.

I train at Jorge’s mostly, but also travel around a bit. I trained with Andre Arlovski and POW in Chicago for a awhile. I originally was a Nova Unaio fighter years back (BJ Penn, Vitor Riberio,Renato Varissimo,John Lewis,etc affiliate). Trained my Jiu Jitsu under a Carlson Gracie Black belt for years.

I train my boxing and Muay Thai a couple other gyms as well in Cincy. I was a HighSchool and College Wrestler.

I have a small MMA School affiliated with Nova Unaio. It’s been a slight issue with Jorge, but…it’s just how it’s going to be. Love training MMA and have a fight coming up soon. I have a overall record of 8-1, but haven’t fought for 2 years. It’s going to be tuner for my return. Very excited, but (I’ll admit) nervous.[/quote]

Nice! I always give major respect to anyone that has the guts to actually get in a cage/ring and compete. I think I’ll just stick with BJJ tourneys.

Good luck with your next fight. Keep us posted on your training for the fight, and obviously, let us know how you do.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Millhouse340 wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Millhouse340 wrote:

I have a small MMA School affiliated with Nova Unaio. It’s been a slight issue with Jorge, but…it’s just how it’s going to be. Love training MMA and have a fight coming up soon. I have a overall record of 8-1, but haven’t fought for 2 years. It’s going to be tuner for my return. Very excited, but (I’ll admit) nervous.

Nice! I always give major respect to anyone that has the guts to actually get in a cage/ring and compete. I think I’ll just stick with BJJ tourneys.

Good luck with your next fight. Keep us posted on your training for the fight, and obviously, let us know how you do.[/quote]

For sure. Just joined this site and plan on sticking around a bit. Keep you posted and glad I’m here. I have enjoyed the readings here so far.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
He isn’t going to beat Anderson, and they won’t let him sit around plinking off title contendors. Probably a good move for his career in the UFC.[/quote]

He needs to go to Thailand for awhile and learn from them. Anderson may be a muay thai champ in Brazil, but I think Rich could pick it up also.

I hope he does well at LHW. I hope he doesn’t get his brain knocked around again like Anderson did to him. You don’t want to have too many fights like that.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
He isn’t going to beat Anderson, and they won’t let him sit around plinking off title contendors. Probably a good move for his career in the UFC.

He needs to go to Thailand for awhile and learn from them. Anderson may be a muay thai champ in Brazil, but I think Rich could pick it up also.

I hope he does well at LHW. I hope he doesn’t get his brain knocked around again like Anderson did to him. You don’t want to have too many fights like that. [/quote]

He has a great Thai coach who actually did all his training in Thailand. As you know two people can train at the same art, but become two different fighters. In striking Silva just has that natural ability to make anyone look bad. We’ll see in the future, but i never count Rich out. He works to hard to never give him another chance in winning. master your weaknesses and improve your game.

PRCalDude wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

I hope he does well at LHW. I hope he doesn’t get his brain knocked around again like Anderson did to him. You don’t want to have too many fights like that.

He has a great Thai coach who actually did all his training in Thailand. As you know two people can train at the same art, but become two different fighters. In striking Silva just has that natural ability to make anyone look bad. We’ll see in the future, but i never count Rich out. He works to hard to never give him another chance in winning. master your weaknesses and improve your game.

[/quote]

Yeah, but Rich still doesn’t know how to get out of a clinch or at least keep his head up in it. The times I saw him lose to Anderson, he didn’t even really try to get out. He was just stuck.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Millhouse340 wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

Yeah, but Rich still doesn’t know how to get out of a clinch or at least keep his head up in it. The times I saw him lose to Anderson, he didn’t even really try to get out. He was just stuck. [/quote]

I agree. His past (I won’t mention name) Thai coach didn’t show him this. A week after the first fight he let his coach go. He then worked with Matt Humes the second fight and Matt showed him how to roll out the side. He used in in fight two if you watch. I do agree with you he still got caught in it. he was tired and took some shots which put him in a weak position to escape the clinch.

Rich/Gurgel’s has a whole new Thai coach now that is full of drills and slick moves. I won’t argue and haven’t Rich looked like a fish out of water against Anderson’s clinch.

Anderson can make you look stupid though. Rich not knowing correct way to break Thai clinch with Anderson will only exploit Anderson strengths.

I agree rich needs to sharpen up his stand up. He usually runs through most guys with his power and size. He ran into a skilled sharp Anderson Silva. It showed Rich’s weaknesses. You don’t know your weaknesses always until they are shown.

[quote]I agree. His past (I won’t mention name) Thai coach didn’t show him this. A week after the first fight he let his coach go. He then worked with Matt Humes the second fight and Matt showed him how to roll out the side. He used in in fight two if you watch. I do agree with you he still got caught in it. he was tired and took some shots which put him in a weak position to escape the clinch.

Rich/Gurgel’s has a whole new Thai coach now that is full of drills and slick moves. I won’t argue and haven’t Rich looked like a fish out of water against Anderson’s clinch.

Anderson can make you look stupid though. Rich not knowing correct way to break Thai clinch with Anderson will only exploit Anderson strengths.
[/quote]

It REALLY bummed me out to see Rich go down twice because of the same thing. I’m a big Rich fan and I think he could take Anderson if he ever figured out the clinch.

Getting out of the clinch was the first thing I was taught when we trained plum. Very small guys can do a lot with the clinch if they do it right and it can be tough to get out of, but I think Rich could have gotten out if he’d just tried to push up on one of Anderson’s elbows.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I agree. His past (I won’t mention name) Thai coach didn’t show him this. A week after the first fight he let his coach go. He then worked with Matt Humes the second fight and Matt showed him how to roll out the side. He used in in fight two if you watch. I do agree with you he still got caught in it. he was tired and took some shots which put him in a weak position to escape the clinch.

It REALLY bummed me out to see Rich go down twice because of the same thing. I’m a big Rich fan and I think he could take Anderson if he ever figured out the clinch.

Getting out of the clinch was the first thing I was taught when we trained plum. Very small guys can do a lot with the clinch if they do it right and it can be tough to get out of, but I think Rich could have gotten out if he’d just tried to push up on one of Anderson’s elbows. [/quote]

You and I both. I’m a fan of his, and a friend. I was at the fight (second in Cincy) and to watch Beth crying while Rich was falling apart…bothered me pretty bad.

I think a different Rich is being made now. I know this is always said after losses, but he has seeked new talent around and taken some time off since his father passed away. We’ll se how things play out. I respect the guy either way. The guy in my avatar is our boxing coach and he’s working with Rich more than ever now. I have heard nothing but compliments towards Rich’s hands lately. The gym has a different buzz around it since the losses. We seem to work harder now knowing we need some new tough talent to replace a someday retiring Rich.

Two words right now Dustin Hazlett. My boy D is young and getting really good.

PRCalDude wrote:

Getting out of the clinch was the first thing I was taught when we trained plum. Very small guys can do a lot with the clinch if they do it right and it can be tough to get out of, but I think Rich could have gotten out if he’d just tried to push up on one of Anderson’s elbows.

You and I both. I’m a fan of his, and a friend. I was at the fight and to watch Beth crying while Rich was falling apart…bothered me pretty bad.

I think a different Rich is being made now. I know this is always said after losses, but he has seeked new talent around and taken some time off since his father passed away. We’ll se how things play out. I respect the guy either way. The guy in my avatar is our boxing coach and he’s working with Rich more than ever now. I have heard nothing but compliments towards Rich’s hands lately. The gym has a different buzz around it since the losses. We seem to work harder now knowing we need some new tough talent to replace a someday retiring Rich.

Two words right now Dustin Hazlett. My boy D is young and getting really good.[/quote]

Well, no matter what happens, Rich is always a champ (though Anderson is pretty damn likable). I think he’s a smart guy and he’ll figure it out, and it sounds like he’s doing exactly that. He’s not an old guy at all and he still has several more years left in him if he wants to compete. Heck, Randy is 40 and look at him!

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Millhouse340 wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

You and I both. I’m a fan of his, and a friend. I was at the fight and to watch Beth crying while Rich was falling apart…bothered me pretty bad.

Two words right now Dustin Hazlett. My boy D is young and getting really good.

Well, no matter what happens, Rich is always a champ (though Anderson is pretty damn likable). I think he’s a smart guy and he’ll figure it out, and it sounds like he’s doing exactly that. He’s not an old guy at all and he still has several more years left in him if he wants to compete. Heck, Randy is 40 and look at him!
[/quote]

Yeah I like Anderson. Hell, our whole camp does. He’s respectful and classy. Hard to be upset by getting beat by a guy like him. I agree, according to him though it’s winding down. He’s got the bug though, so we’ll see.

Randy is a freak of nature and that’s all i can say there. Continue to support the Rich, he deserves it. He really is a class act himself as you know.

Nice chatting with you bro.

War Rich