rice bran oil

in researching Rice bran I came across an Item that may be of interest, rice bran oil. I found this interesting bits of info. I apologize for the length.

Fats and oils act as a heat transfer medium, but also become a component of the food.  Because of this dual function, the oil must meet a number of requirements.  It must have good thermal and oxidative stability.  It must also have good flavor, good shelf life and acceptable cost.  Finally, it must have consumer appeal.

There are two types of fats we consume in our daily diets.  One is visible fat, which comes from all natural fat present in vegetables, fruits, cereals, poultry, meat, fish and other foods.  The other one is visible fat, which is the cooking medium, salad oils and other added sources of oils.  We have no control over the invisible fat intake. However, the quantity and quality of visible fat intake need to be controlled to maintain better health.

Comparing known vegetable oils and rice bran oil to the fatty acid profile recommended by the American Heart Association, we find RBO is the closest to the AHA recommendations.  AHA recommendations are that SFA in the diet above 10% is not good, as it tends to raise the cholesterol levels.  SFA below this 10% level is good for health.  MUFA at 10% and above is good as it maintains cholesterol levels, but below this level is not good for health.  PUFA at the 10% level is good, but too much of PUFA is known to generate free radicals and aid carcinogenesis and hence is not good for health.  PUFA below 10% is not good, as the body needs essential fatty acids for its metabolism.

Another component of fats and oils is the unsaponifiable fraction (unsap), which contains the antioxidants and micronutrients of the oil.  RBO has 4.2% of unsap, whereas all other oils have unsap less than 1-2%.  It is the combination of an excellent essential fatty acid profile and a high unsaponifiable fraction that brings about cholesterol reduction.  In addition to this RBO does not produce any allergenic reactions when ingested, as does several oils.  RBO has the highest cholesterol reduction capacity of any other oil.

RBO unsaponifiable fraction is rich in vitamin E complex, tocopherols and tocotrienols, a unique antioxidant known as gamma oryzanol, high quantities of phytosterols, polyphenols and squalene.  RBO has a very good shelf life compared to other cooking oils because of these antioxidants.  These compounds are nutritionally very valuable and it has been shown to be responsible for the hypocholesterolemic effect.  RBO appears to be the richest source of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Hence RBO not only has a good fatty acid profile, but also is a rich source of antioxidants and micronutrients.

Hypocholesterolemic Effect of RBO

Studies have shown that RBO in the diet significantly reduces LDL cholesterol and triglycerides; it increases HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol), inhibits platelet aggregation and prevents cardiovascular diseases.  Clinical studies from Japan, India and the U.S.A. have confirmed these results and named RBO as ”Health Oil”.  In every 1% reduction in cholesterol, there was a 2% decrease in the risk of coronary heart disease.  Thus RBO in the diet significantly reduces cholesterol without any side effects known to exist with pharmaceutical drugs and is the healthiest of all oils for human consumption.

Safety of RBO

A safety evaluation of RBO was carried out by the FDA/WHO protocol.  It was proved to be safe for human consumption, without any side effects.  RBO has earned GRAS status in the U.S.A.

Taste and Acceptability

Foods were prepared in several ways, such as deep fried, pan fried, baked foods and salad dressings in rice bran oil.  Similar foods in peanut oil, palm oil, soybean oil, olive oil and corn oil were prepared and compared.  Taste panel, color, appearance, smell and texture were the criteria for the acceptability of the products.  RBO prepared foods scored highest in all the panels, also rated highest shelf life when compared to the other products.  RBO was found to be more economical as less oil is absorbed in the food, almost 20% less when compared to other oils.  This lower absorption rate is related to the viscosity of RBO, a physical quality of the oil, which makes it light and non-sticky.  The high smoke point prevents the isomerization and polymerization of the fatty acids and also the generation of free radicals at high temperatures.  There are many beneficial aspects of RBO that attracts consumers to utilize RBO in their diet.

Rice bran oil is highly therapeutic because it actually elevates the levels of the major neurotransmitters in the brain: norephinephrine, serotonin, and melatonin. It is reccomended in the diets of autistic children.

Got this info from this www.californiariceoil.com.

This may be a better alternative to flax oil. It resists oxidation, and has a high smoke point, higher than olive oil, which would make it better for cooking. Maybe if some of you science guys could look into it, and let us know what you think. At 17 bucks a gallon it would be cost effective as well.

Sounds interesting. I’d like to know the PUFA breakdown of omega 3 vs omega 6 in RBO.

Damn, it dos not have omega 3 fat, only omega 6. Oh well, it is still better than olive oil.

Right now, in addition to fish oil, I supplement with 1/2 flax oil and 1/2 olive oil. It looks like 1/2 flax and 1/2 RBO would be a better choice, for sure. I’m going to check around and see if I can purchase any RBO locally. Excellent post, ko. Let us know if you find out more.

Heb good job and thanks for posting this. At first I was asking, “I eat alot of rice, wouldn’t I be consuming this anyway?” But then I looked at their explanation on their page. (It’s under the “about rice” page).

Rice bran is the part of rice that is REMOVED during processing. This includes brown rice. I think of it as the “husk” of the rice itself. So it’s impossible for anyone to get this oil in their diet no matter what kind of rice they eat.

I think the thing that was exciting about this when I read it was that it contains alot of vitamin E. One of the other sites I read said to always take some antioxidants if you are supplementing with oil, as they can introduce free radicals into the body. But if RBO has vitamin E already built into it, that’s a big plus.

I am going to read up and see what the deal is with this. I also use olive oil in addition to flax and fish oil, so this sounds exciting.

I’ve got my RBO - $7/25oz at local natural foods market. Olive oil still has twice as much MUFA as RBO, so I’m going to start supplementing my EFA’s with 1/3 flax, 1/3 olive, and 1/3 RBO - that seems like an ideal blend of omega-3, omega-6, omega-9, and saturated fat. (I get very little omega-6 from other sources, so should work well). Thanks ko.