T Nation

Rib Injury on Leg Press

Ok so this is the 2nd time this has happened in the last 5 months so something is wrong. I was doing leg press last week not really that heavy, I was doing 3x8-12 with 6 plates on each side. I was half way through my 2nd set and got a sharp pain in my side on the way up. I thinking it could be cartilage strain or something and it is more annoying than anything.

Hurts when I lay one make it hard to breath when I lift but other than that not much of a hindrance. Now I had a rib injury in high school and just kind of let it heal itself and was thinking that might have something to do with it.

Has this happened to any of you? Any advise?

Actually, when I first started training this did happen to me and I experienced exactly what you described. Since it didn’t cause me too many problems I just left it alone(being careful to avoid movements and activities that caused me pain) and in a few months it healed up fine.

I asked a doctor about it sometime later and he said I probably tore some cartilage and if that is what I did it wouldn’t have mattered much if I had come in for it anyways since there’s generally nothing that can be done about it.

Yeah that is generaly what I thought. Thanks, I was wondering if this had happend to anyone else

Happened to me several months ago. I may have let the weight drop too fast and (what felt like happened) was a bit of cartilage popped out from between my ribs and then went right back in. It was a very unpleasant feeling and I had a dull pain there for several weeks. It limited most movements that hit my core (which is most of them) for awhile. Time is the only thing that helped. Still scared of going too heavy on the damn leg press becuase of it.

I had something similar, though not necessarily from the leg press itself – I was doing lots of squats, leg press, and basketball. Doctor said I strained my oblique. I was out of the gym for a whole month.

yup…here too . felt a POP…then discomfort…then I played a little raquetball the next day and all hell broke loose . couldnt sleep ; hard time even gettin’ outta bed ; sneezing/coughing REALLY sucked .

stayed out of the gym for about 3 weeks . and took it real easy when I started back …especially benching

Yeah after the first time I did it I have made sure to go for slower movements when I do leg press. It hasent stopped me from going to the gym though. I havent wanted to do squats but I did some leg press 2 days ago. Again hard time taking a deep breath and slight discomfort but thats it.

And sneezing/coughing REALLY DOES suck

Not to dig up an old issue (but I am), but this happened to me this morning - heard the snap crackle and pop and mild pain in the bottom left hand rib cage.

Feels a lot like torn cartilage but must only be mild. I’ve had rib injuries before and they suck big time with many many weeks of healing. I’m back in the gym tomorrow and hopefully will try some back exercises, the chest will probably aggravate it too much.

Anyway - I was surfing around here to see if this has happened to anyone else on the leg press - asked and answered!
Cheers.

Ya it sucks, the last time it happened to me it took about 2 weeks to get back to 100%. But doing deads and pull-ups and stuff like that didnt hurt much but it was hard to catch my breath, and it will get worse b4 it gets better. Just dont push to hard and make it worse and get back to 100%

Cheers mate, my last rib injury took 3 months to heal. This is nowhere near as bad but… well, you kow what it’s like - annoying bloody thing.

I start a new job in 4 weeks so I want to get in as much training as I can before then.

Cheers mate.

told you what it was boy. First sign of old age. When your cooking a hog, know how you tell it’s done? Meat pulls away from the ribs. RIP boy, it’s all down hill from here.

I guess it’s time to stop using the leg press.

This just happened to me today - angled leg press - just felt like two of my ribs ground next to one another. Just going to take it easy on legs for a while - doesn’t seem to affect chest and back - did some back extensions after and not a lot of discomfort.

Mine healed in a couple of weeks and I could still train back, arms and legs in the meantime. Chest exeercises caused some issues.

Re-injured it again the other day doing pullovers but it’ll be okay in a week or so.

Just make sure you give it time to fully recover - unlike me.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Happened to me several months ago. I may have let the weight drop too fast and (what felt like happened) was a bit of cartilage popped out from between my ribs and then went right back in. It was a very unpleasant feeling and I had a dull pain there for several weeks. It limited most movements that hit my core (which is most of them) for awhile. Time is the only thing that helped. Still scared of going too heavy on the damn leg press becuase of it. [/quote]

I have gone to the gym off on on over the years and just recently hired a trainer. He has me doing a lot of core training, less weight and faster sets. I experienced precisely what you described. It felt like my guts pushed through my ribs and then went back in. I was doing a one legged press on a squat machine. It has been almost a week and I am still sore. I searched the internet and found this forum and sounds like I should be able to recover in a few weeks. Thanks for your post.

Yeah, pop ouch, no more leg work for a while. I stopped using leg press and do squats, deadlift, and lunges. No problems from those.