T Nation

Rhodiola Rosea Experiences

Hi all I’m quite curious about this product and have been wondering about others experiances of it. I’ve been taking it now 2 weeks on 1 week off for a good month and a half now. in that time I haven’t noticed any difference in recovery or gains made. although I am doing more training than before and finding it just as doable as my previous work load.

What are other peoples experiances of it and when do you think is the best time to take it? I’ve always taken it with my shake before bed, but I’m now wondering if that’s the best time. any insight would be appreciated. Cheers

i do 3 weeks on 1 week off. ive noticed that im in much better moods, my intensity is way up in the gym, i dont need as much sleep, just all around happier and a better sense of well being. i take one cap in the morning on an empty stomach and another about 7 hours after that before i work out. im thinking about taking another one in the evening… but i dont know if it will mess with my sleep because i get a good bit of energy when i take them… how is it going for you when you take it before bed? do you sleep good?

I sometimes sleep well sometimes I don’t, I have a love hate relationship with sleep as I’ve always had to either smoke weed or take a sleep aid like 5htp to get me to bed otherwise I lie there for hours completely awake regardless of how much I’ve trained that day or what I’ve eaten. but from what your saying it sounds like it perks you up so I guess taking it before bed is a bad idea. I think I’ll to swap the bedtime for breakfast time. Do you find taking it pre workout allows you to raise your workload and train at a higher intensity?

Rhodiola wakes me right up. I absolutely love the stuff. One of the only things I actually use besides the staples.

Benefits for me include:

Increased alertness. (Synergizes well with caffeine)
Better Mood.
Increased sex drive.
Improved Cardio.
Better Sleep.

It’s truly a wonder-herb, at least for me.

I take one first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and another in between lunch and my third meal.

Has anyone else noted that the concentration is guarenteed 15%, and is a 100mg dose, while there are quite a few companies out there with guarenteed 3% at a 500mg dose.

Biotest is implying that theirs gives you more rosavins, which seems to be untrue.

Well, yes, it does give you more Rosavins per milligram. The Biotest dose is more concentrated and higher percentage per cap than the lower percentage extracts.

[quote]bdog527 wrote:
Well, yes, it does give you more Rosavins per milligram. The Biotest dose is more concentrated and higher percentage per cap than the lower percentage extracts. [/quote]

But that’s pretty irrelevant if the reccomended doses mean you end up with the same rosavin

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
bdog527 wrote:
Well, yes, it does give you more Rosavins per milligram. The Biotest dose is more concentrated and higher percentage per cap than the lower percentage extracts.

But that’s pretty irrelevant if the reccomended doses mean you end up with the same rosavin[/quote]

That’s your opinion. Rosavins and Salidrosides are not the only substances contained in Rhodiola. It may not be important to you that a smaller dose of the total plant is required to get the same number of active ingredients but to others it may be desirable. I have tried several different Rho extracts and while the effect is generally the same across the board it is good to know what exactly it is I am putting in my body.

bdog527 wrote:

But that’s pretty irrelevant if the reccomended doses mean you end up with the same rosavin[/quote]

Are you illiterate?

Serving size: 1 capsule

100mg per serving = 15% rosavins

4 capsules a day = 400mg = 60mg.

bdog527 wrote:

That’s incorrect.

Chris Lockwood thoroughly addressed this in several posts on this page in the Rhodiola Rosea thread:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_article/rhodiola_rosea_the_strength_of_vikings_2?id=2262793&pageNo=3

[quote]TheG wrote:
I sometimes sleep well sometimes I don’t, I have a love hate relationship with sleep as I’ve always had to either smoke weed or take a sleep aid like 5htp to get me to bed otherwise I lie there for hours completely awake regardless of how much I’ve trained that day or what I’ve eaten. but from what your saying it sounds like it perks you up so I guess taking it before bed is a bad idea. I think I’ll to swap the bedtime for breakfast time. Do you find taking it pre workout allows you to raise your workload and train at a higher intensity?[/quote]

yeah for sure. pre work out makes my endurance really good for some reason.