T Nation

Rhodiola Rosea and Sex

Hey guys,

Has anyone experienced sexual benefits from taking rhodiola rosea? In particular I am interested in lasting longer / delaying orgasm. I found this article at http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/news/20040505/natural-sex-boosters-gaining-ground and it seems interesting. Here's a quote:

"Rhodiola Rosea

A perennial plant that grows in artic regions of the world, Rhodiola can boost sexual desire in both men and women, Brown says. "It's also possible, although more study is needed, that it may help premature ejaculation," he says.

While no one knows exactly how the plant improves sexuality, Brown says "it probably works on the dopamine system in the brain which is very important to sexual functioning and libido." But there may be other effects, too, he adds.

Philip R. Muskin, MD, professor of clinical psychiatry also at Columbia University, and chair of the APA scientific program committee, agrees.

"Rhodiola appears to have a beneficial effect in enhancing sexual function," he tells WebMD. "It improves satisfaction, pleasure, erections, response to orgasms."

In fact, he says, Rhodiola appears to help the body adapt to a variety of life stresses.

Muskin says that he has given the supplement to some of his own patients, many of whom reported a new sense of sexual energy.

"There was less fatigue," he says. "Menopausal women say the cobwebs are gone." "

Anyone have experience with this and/or know of other supplements to enhance your sex life?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Rhodiola Rosea, but have you checked out Mucuna Pruriens?

herbal-powers.com/macunapruriens1.html

I don't have any experience with it, as it contains L-Dopa and I'm very hesitant to start messing around with my neurotransmitters.