Rhadi Ferguson on YouTube

and

Man, I’d like to see more competitors like that.

yea he’s great. Very impressive guy.

Here’s another illustration: Rhadi Ferguson's Squat Workout - YouTube

That seems pretty strong/powerful to me…

[quote]danew wrote:

That seems pretty strong/powerful to me…[/quote]

Especially if you’ve ever heard him talk about how he really can’t squat much because of his bad knee.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:
danew wrote:

That seems pretty strong/powerful to me…

Especially if you’ve ever heard him talk about how he really can’t squat much because of his bad knee.

[/quote]

Well if he can’t squat much, then I can’t squat dick shit that’s for sure.

Another great video:

http://thejudopodcast.com/?p=350

He is really explosive and a great athlete…

I just get a little tired of his endless self promotion
of the various sites/dvds/books he produces. :slight_smile:
He is good for the sport, even with his sales approach…

That being said he is a nice, nice guy in person,
and exciting to watch. what I like is he made
a style , a very athletic , explosive style really work for him.
He used to come to NYC and play at the NYAC…

kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote: He is really explosive and a great athlete…

I just get a little tired of his endless self promotion
of the various sites/dvds/books he produces. :slight_smile:
He is good for the sport, even with his sales approach…

That being said he is a nice, nice guy in person, and exciting to watch. what I like is he made a style , a very athletic , explosive style really work for him.
He used to come to NYC and play at the NYAC…

kmc[/quote]

So sick of hearing black guys called explosive.

Blacks are NEVER technical, or crafty, or smart, or tactical. Just explosive!

If you’d read The Grappling Game Plan, you’d realize that his mental game was actually his biggest asset. He’s a very smart guy.

But, hey, he’s a big bald black guy. So explosive is what he be.

uhm actually I have met him in person,
a few times. he played at one of the clubs I used to play at

and he is a thinking man in Judo… super articulate
he is a good good strategist, a great coach, has a real mind for training.and happens to be phenomenal athlete .

would you prefer a different word than explosive?
remind me to ask your permission on
use of synonyms.
go bust somone elses balls.

kmc

Yes.

[quote]and he is a thinking man in Judo… super articulate
he is a good good strategist, a great coach, has a real mind for training.and happens to be phenomenal athlete .[/quote]

That works. :wink:

Look, man, consciously or not, there is racism involved whenever the first thing that comes to mind about a black athlete is “explosive.” Look at Fedor. He is explosive. One of the most explosive guys in MMA. Yet people don’t just call him explosive. They talk about his skills, strategies, calmness, etc.

It just so happens to be that he’s white. So people don’t just think of his braun.

I’m not busting your balls. I don’t think it was conscious with you. Yet in your initial post, you said “explosive” instead of “super articulate he is a good good strategist, a great coach, has a real mind for training.and happens to be phenomenal athlete.”

He is all of those things. “Explosive” is but one part of it.

Racial bias is in all of us. It’s unconscious in most. So we should try to eradicate it in ourselves and others. When I see “explosive” and nothing else when a black guy is discussed, I say something.

Fair enough and thanks for the reasonable reply…
and I can see your rational.

Judo- in particular often lacks athleticism until the very top.
Rhadi is a very exciting player yes his strategies
and work ethic are huge, but when watching him
its easy to only discuss his visible attributes
and if you know him its by design

kmc

I feel you. His style is very Russian or Mongolian. A larger focus on power and strength rather than “grace.” As you probably know, the Japanese want to ban double leg takedowns, as they are not “pure” or “graceful” judo, whatever that means.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Look, man, consciously or not, there is racism involved whenever the first thing that comes to mind about a black athlete is “explosive.” Look at Fedor. He is explosive. One of the most explosive guys in MMA. Yet people don’t just call him explosive. They talk about his skills, strategies, calmness, etc.[/quote]

�??He�??s very explosive in his hips with very fast movements,�?? says McCarthy afterward. �??He�??s very quick in trying to move to those positions that he wants to get to with that explosiveness. He�??s just a phenomenal athlete.�??

�??Fedor is a remarkable fighter. He�??s the Mike Tyson of MMA, that guy that is so explosive and so dominant in this sport,�?? says McCarthy. “The biggest problem is he�??s Russian and a lot of people here in North America don�??t know him. The hardcore people know him, but the average fans don�??t really know how good he is.”

Nogueira: "Further, the fact that he is fat makes it even more complicated when it comes to such an explosive, slippery fellow.

http://www.graciemag.com/?c=147&a=3190

People talk all the time about how Brock Lesnar was explosive, Sean Sherk is explosive, Tyson Griffin is explosive. They also go on and on about Anderson Silva’s technical ability or David Loiseau (god they never shut up).

When Rhadi Ferguson picks people up off the ground and over his head, or does 500 pound squats, I’d say that is a good reason to say that the first adjective that comes to mind is

No it doesn’t exist in all of us. It exists in some. The problem is that those who have been taught to see it see it in everything. Oh, he’s not helping me out at the clothing store, it must be because I’m/that guy is black. They’re helping me out immediately…it must be because they want to hustle me out because they think I’ll/that black guy will steal something.

Blah.

Take it somewhere else.

Besides, I think there are a lot worse things to call someone than explosive.

It’s obvious from your post that you don’t train Judo or understand it. We were having an interesting and civil discussion before you joined in. Please keep to starting childish discussions, and leave the adults to talk about adult subjects like Judo. Thanks.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Fiction wrote:blabber

It’s obvious from your post that you don’t train Judo or understand it. We were having an interesting and civil discussion before you joined in. Please keep to starting childish discussions, and leave the adults to talk about adult subjects like Judo. Thanks.[/quote]

Please fill me in on how this is at all relevant. Your criticism, and my response deal with the supposed “racial bias” that exists in all of us at that apparently permeates athletics.

If you wanted to avoid so-called “childish discussions” don’t accuse people of “unconscious racism” and appeal to bullshit for your support. Most people backpedal when called a racist for any reason, so I understand how you thought you could get away with it, but you got called on it. Take it like a man and don’t throw some lame diversion like “you don’t train Judo and we were having and interesting Judo discussion so back out”. Judo was contextually irrelevant and you know it.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Fiction wrote:blabber

It’s obvious from your post that you don’t train Judo or understand it. We were having an interesting and civil discussion before you joined in. Please keep to starting childish discussions, and leave the adults to talk about adult subjects like Judo. Thanks.

Please fill me in on how this is at all relevant. Your criticism, and my response deal with the supposed “racial bias” that exists in all of us at that apparently permeates athletics.

If you wanted to avoid so-called “childish discussions” don’t accuse people of “unconscious racism” and appeal to bullshit for your support. Most people backpedal when called a racist for any reason, so I understand how you thought you could get away with it, but you got called on it.

Take it like a man and don’t throw some lame diversion like “you don’t train Judo and we were having and interesting Judo discussion so back out”. Judo was contextually irrelevant and you know it.[/quote]

+1

He should follow his own advice

Rhadi was never a top-level judo player and lacked the technique to defeat opponents that he couldn’t physically overwhelm. He does have a relatively good ground game and could become a very good sub-grappler.