T Nation

REZ-V Dosage: Overkill?

I have often consumed red wine for its supposed health benefits, not because I particularly like red wine. However, recently I decided to look at resveratrol concentrations in red wine compared with REZ-V, since supposedly much of the health benefits of red wine is believed to come from the chemical. I was pretty surprised at what I found–if you were to drink a liter of Spanish red wine every day, you would be getting, at most, 12.59mg of resveratrol per day (not to mention pretty wasted). In contrast, REZ-V contains 600mg of resveratrol.

Why is this absurdly high dose necessary or even healthy? If benefits can be had at the 2-6mg levels (which is what a regular drinking of quality wines would be getting), why is the 100x that better.

Now the blurb accompanying REZ-V states that:

[quote]It’s best to take one large dose of resveratrol, instead of several smaller doses, because of the way it’s metabolized. In essence, you want to overwhelm the body’s ability to inactivate and excrete resveratrol, which is done through sulfation and glucuronidation (adding sulfate and beta-glucuronide groups).

This “overwhelming” process is accomplished at about 200 mg taken in one shot. A three-capsule dose contains 600 mg of pure resveratrol, which is also the dose we believe delivers the greatest benefit for the least cost.[/quote]

But if this was true, how would around 6mg per day account for the so-called “French Paradox”. Such an extreme dose seems wasteful at best, and dangerous at worst.

The benefits of Red Wine being attributed to resveratrol are speculative. As well, the wine is consumed over a lifetime so it is possible that the small amount is exerting a beneficial effect over a period of decades.

Remember that moderate/conservative alcohol use itself has been shown to have numerous health benefits.

There are other variables in the French Diet that could contribute to the paradox of which you speak.

REZ-V is a specific product for a specific purpose. Mainly, agonism of SIRT1 and antagonism of ERalpha. Cy Willson who was involved in the project has said that if one wanted to mimic a diet high in resveratrol one cap once a week would be good.

Hope this helps.

Also, any studies done on the benefits of alcohol consumption are retrospective and looking back on populations.

You can’t ethically do a study and give people alcohol related drink to measure it’s effects.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
You can’t ethically do a study and give people alcohol related drink to measure it’s effects.[/quote]

This simply isn’t true.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
You can’t ethically do a study and give people alcohol related drink to measure it’s effects.

This simply isn’t true.[/quote]

That’s not what I’ve been told by Dr. Cooper who does his fair share of studies. Now, I admit I have been wrong, so if I am, I apologize for spreading bad information.

Now, maybe a short term study would be fine, but to give people alcohol over 10-20 years at different doses might pose a problem.

some people take up to 2 grams of resveratrol a day and feel great.

sorry i dont have the reference, but i know that their have been studies where people have been given 5 grams of resveratrol without any negative side affects.

edit added++++
also many of the mice studies concerning resveratrol that have shown some pretty amazing things have those mice taking the equivalent of a 800 mg to 1gm a day for the average guy.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
But if this was true, how would around 6mg per day account for the so-called “French Paradox”. Such an extreme dose seems wasteful at best, and dangerous at worst.[/quote]

As others have alluded, you’re making a big assumption that Resveratrol is the sole factor responsible for the “French Paradox.”

Actually the assumption wasn’t mine, but was a selling point in the Rez-V add.

[quote]koffea wrote:
sorry i dont have the reference, but i know that their have been studies where people have been given 5 grams of resveratrol without any negative side affects.

edit added++++
also many of the mice studies concerning resveratrol that have shown some pretty amazing things have those mice taking the equivalent of a 800 mg to 1gm a day for the average guy.[/quote]

Remember there is a dosage conversion factor - I believe called the BSA factor - that translates the effective dose between two different species.

I know you said the ‘equivalent of an 800 mg’ dose, but just throwing that in there.

I think resveratrol has different effects at different dosages. Anti-oxidant, anti-aromatase, cardiovascular (like CoQ 10). At least from what I have read.