RexDavenport Log

I’m 47 and came back to lifting after at least a 20 year vacation. I work a professional office/desk job and between work and family commitments, I have to maximize my time. I gravitated toward CT’s layer system and DC training due to efficency. Recently I tried out Arthur Jones’ Colorado Experiment style of training and enjoyed it. I will probably revisit it soon. I’m back to DC for the time being. At my age, I’m not chasing numbers, just size and loss of bodyfat. I come in right now at 225-230 depending on what day it is and estimate my bf to be in the 18-20% range. Since I started back, my weight has remained about the same but I have dropped pants size from 38 needing a 40 to a 36 waist. Almost ashamed to say that I dont really deadlift, just the occasional rack pull, but I have maxed on SGHP at 325, BP at 325 and Squat at something around 450-500 but not recently. Lets get started:

1 Like

9/29/19
B
EZ Bar Pull Over 75 x 35 DRP
Shrugs 225 x 25 DRP
Hanging EZ Curl 65 x 22 DRP
Reverse Curl 65 x 16 DRP
Paused Front Squat 3 x 8 w 135 SS
RDL 3 x 8 w 135 SS

10/01/19
A
Guillotine Press 185 x 17 DRP
Upright Row 135 x 21 DRP
CGBP 205 x 18 DRP

1 Like

Pull Over 80 x 25 DRP
Shrug 245 x 30 DRP
Hanging EZ Curl 65 x 24 DRP
Squat 315 x 15 Felt a strange tweak in my knee and quit in my first rest-pause set

1 Like

Not really understanding the secret code but welcome a board!

DC is doggcrapp which is a highish frequency training program that incorporates double rest-pause sets (DRP) some straight sets (SS) and loaded stretching. You have workouts A and B and alternate between the two. A is chest, shoulders and tris. B is back width, back thickness, bis, quads and hams. You do one movement per body part. The template calls for heavier weight and slightly less frequency than I am doing. You should search out the articles on it on this site. I have really enjoyed it.

Thanks for clarifying. The DRP had me wondering, and SS for me means super sets. We all type it out a little different. Now we’re on the same page.

I am in the middle of a 5/3/1 hardgainer marathon right now. Ya know, cause I don’t want to work too hard… lol I may check it it out come January.

Incline DB Fly 50s x 16 DRP
DB OHP 50s x 28 DRP
BB OH Tri Ext 115 x 24 DRP

Squat 315 x 23 DRP
EZ Pullover 85 x 28 DRP
Shrug 245 x 32 DRP
Hang Curl 65 x 27 DRP

Was going to do some leg curls but the knee tweak from the other day hurt a little while I was warming up. It was fine squatting. Go figure.

I’ve been starting back on a modified DC split with more frequency and more reps. Instead of 3 workouts per week alternating A, B, A and B, A, B each week, I have been doing A, B, off, A, B, off, etc. I have been doing this a couple of weeks and recovery doesn’t seem to be a problem. I’m going to stay at it as is for now. I’m doing low intensity cardio on off days. I’m going to mix in some abs on off days starting this week.

2 Likes

Guillotine press 205 x 17 DRP
Upright row 135 x 20 DRP
Close grip BP 205 x 20 DRP

1 Like

Squat 315 x 25 DRP
Shrug 245 x 34 DRP
Pull Over 90 x 24 DRP
DB Curl 25s x 28 DRP

1 Like

Pleased to have gotten 12 reps w 315 on my first set of reps tonight. Wonder what that might equate to in terms of 1rm?

Edit: I found a rep max calculator online and it said 440. Not so sure. Also too old to find out.

incredulous
Dude you are a beast

Not so much, but thanks. I’m trying.

Low incline DB fly 50s x 21 DRP
DB lateral raise 25s x 28 DRP
Lying DB Tri ext 25s x 25 DRP

I am getting back into golf after a 12 year layoff. Finding that due to my much larger size my swing path is markedly different than it used to be. I am remembering how slowly. Hit a 535 yard par 5 in 2 this afternoon. Soft fade off the tee with the driver and a soft, high draw to 8 feet with a 17degree hybrid. I missed the eagle putt badly, but hey it felt nice to briefly feel good at it again.

Enjoy your training and gains.
Family,work ,training can be a challenging balance.
I don’t think it makes a huge difference how you train ( DC, 531, conjugate) if you can make gains from your starting point, improve your health and have some fun.
Good luck

I agree. Unless you’re training sports specific movements or competitively I think just being under a bar is the important thing. I like the various HFT styles because I can get in and out in less than an hour and I’m still moving relatively heavy weight without beating my old ass up with volume.

1 Like

Training on the road in Chicago. The Sheraton has a decent fitness room. Machines and, surprisingly, dumbbells up to 50s.

Machine press 210 x 25 DRP
OH seated DB press 50s x 22 DRP
DB standing Tri Ext 50 x 21 DRP

Toured Soldier Field today. It was awesome.

1 Like

Pull over 95 x 24 DRP
Shrug 265 x 22 DRP
DB curl 25s x 33 DRP
Squat 315 x 26 DRP

Moving to the regular 3 day per week DC workout. I reached the end of my rope on my other schedule.

Low incline BP 205 x 20 DRP
Upright row 135 x 22 DRP
Face pull with 3 bands of unknown weight 40 DRP
Lying DB Tri ext 25s x 32 DRP