T Nation

Revolution is My Name

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Court wrote:
So I just secured the receiving of my new (old) squat suit. The woman that has it has been crazy busy this week, but is dropping it off tomorrow evening. I told her I wanted to use it on Saturday, so she said she will drop it off for sure tomorrow.

My plans for tomorrow night include: trying on new squat suit, picking at sewn seams that severely shortened said squat suit, cuddling with puppy.

Saturday plans: Squatting with new squat suit using archaic looking suit clamps to temporarily shorten straps which will be too long.

Are you squatting Sunday?[/quote]

No…Sunday is deficit deads and rackpulls… plus some form of bench… perhaps speed bench or something of the sort…

However if you want to train together, I’m up for it if you need a spotter and such. I also found I got lazy with my form after not squatting with people around for a while (hence all the yelling from Matt last week) so it might be good for ya.

Only thing is I’m going to NY after training Saturday if my brother is in the lineup to watch his hockey game… he’s playing as close to home as he will get. I’ll either be making the 4 hour drive home after the game or in the morning, so it may have to be a little bit later in day… like 1ish… I could go straight to the club in Hamilton or Burlington though as I will have all my gear with me.

[quote]Court wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
Court wrote:
So I just secured the receiving of my new (old) squat suit. The woman that has it has been crazy busy this week, but is dropping it off tomorrow evening. I told her I wanted to use it on Saturday, so she said she will drop it off for sure tomorrow.

My plans for tomorrow night include: trying on new squat suit, picking at sewn seams that severely shortened said squat suit, cuddling with puppy.

Saturday plans: Squatting with new squat suit using archaic looking suit clamps to temporarily shorten straps which will be too long.

Are you squatting Sunday?

No…Sunday is deficit deads and rackpulls… plus some form of bench… perhaps speed bench or something of the sort…

However if you want to train together, I’m up for it if you need a spotter and such. I also found I got lazy with my form after not squatting with people around for a while (hence all the yelling from Matt last week) so it might be good for ya.

Only thing is I’m going to NY after training Saturday if my brother is in the lineup to watch his hockey game… he’s playing as close to home as he will get. I’ll either be making the 4 hour drive home after the game or in the morning, so it may have to be a little bit later in day… like 1ish… I could go straight to the club in Hamilton or Burlington though as I will have all my gear with me. [/quote]

That sounds good. I was thinking last night that no one (that counts) has seen me squat in a while. My last few sets last night I concentrated on form and depth using the big toe wiggling method of making sure I’m back on my heels.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
That sounds good. I was thinking last night that no one (that counts) has seen me squat in a while. …[/quote]

So then why do you want to squat with Court?

oh snizap

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
That sounds good. I was thinking last night that no one (that counts) has seen me squat in a while. …

So then why do you want to squat with Court?[/quote]

Buuuuuuurn.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
That sounds good. I was thinking last night that no one (that counts) has seen me squat in a while. …

So then why do you want to squat with Court?[/quote]

If you’re not careful I’m going to send ouro over to go Tim Hortons on your ass. Not only for being rude to me, but also for continuing to type the underscores. I can’t help but read it as “underscore Court underscore” and it drives me bonkers.

Remember we’ll likely be at the same meet. Don’t think I’m afraid to Nancy Kerrigan you before you deadlift.

I wanna be Gilooly!

[quote]Court wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

So then why do you want to squat with Court?

If you’re not careful I’m going to send ouro over to go Tim Hortons on your ass. Not only for being rude to me, but also for continuing to type the underscores. I can’t help but read it as “underscore Court underscore” and it drives me bonkers.

Remember we’ll likely be at the same meet. Don’t think I’m afraid to Nancy Kerrigan you before you deadlift. [/quote]

Court (yes I did that on purpose),

I would not recommend the “Nancy Kerrigan approach” (do you do the same thing with quotations when you read them?). I cry and squeal much worse than she did, it may be enough to turn your stomach.

Regards,

Ruggerlife

Court - so your journal is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with! I thought about making it a full-time job… but I am not sure that I could buy protein powder with food stamps…?

Anyway, I was reading how you were having shoulder issues… Not sure if someone else has given you advice yet or not… but here is a shit-ton of stuff for your shoulders to prevent pain and/or to help fix pain if you are having it:

SHOULDERS:

Warm Up:

• DC Broomstick Exercise (Holding a broomstick and keeping arms completely straight, raise your arms over head and bring the broomstick behind your back, still keeping arms straight. Then raise it back over your head and bring it in front of your body again.

That is 1 rep. As you get more flexible, move your hands in closer together, but ALWAYS keep your arms straight. Shoot for 20-50 reps)
Looks like this:

• Applying Blue Heat lotion from Elite FTS to your shoulder when warming up

Exercises:
-Scapular Pushup (2-3 sets of 15-20 each week)

• Supine One Arm Dumbbell Protraction (2-3 sets of 15-20 each week)
  • Scapular Wall Slides
  • Behind the Neck Band Pulldowns (Band wall slides)
  • External Rotations (cable, band, DB, weight plate)
  • STRICT Seated Cable Row
  • Lateral Raises with arms 30’ forward and thumbs pointing down
  • Taking a BREAK from squatting and pressing with barbells and instead do Overhead Pressing and Bench Pressing with Dumbbells and a neutral grip (Palm-in) and squat using a cambered bar, safety bar, etc or do front squats. Do this for a couple weeks every couple of months.
  • Also take a break from full range of motion pressing. Try floor press, pin press, board press, or overhead rack lockouts.
  • Prone Lying Internal Rotations
  • Unilateral Movements (1 arm OH press, 1 arm DB Press, Alternating DB Press, etc)
  • Deceleration or “Catch” drills
  • Isometric Elevated Push-up Holds (exactly what they sound like)
  • High Rep Pushups and Scap Pushups on unstable surfaces (swiss ball, dyna-disc, Bosu Ball, etc)

Stretches:

• Regular ART, rolfing, deep-tissue massage, foam rolling, etc
  • Thoracic Extensions on the foam roller
  • Shoulder Traction with bands (or a partner pulling on the arm)
  • Doorway Stretches for Pecs

Hope these ideas help!! Shoulder pain BLOWS!

For ideas for other parts of the body, check this thread out:

Hope it feels better…

It is a full time job keeping up with my log! At least work has been slow lately for me so I can do it at work (ssshhh). However to your point, I doubt you can get protein powder with food stamps… I’ll do a weekly summary of all the important training things and email them to you :wink:

I’ve started doing more mobility and warm ups than I ever have. A lot of what you noted are now included in what I am doing. I’m going to add that DC broomstick thing though!

Bartl also has suggested/threatened to kick my ass if I don’t give up full ROM bench for a bit. The only thing I’m allowed to do with a barbell is speed press with like 55-60% of my max. He also suggested neutral grip stuff. Maybe he knows a thing or two after all!!

[quote]mmgalb727 wrote:

• Taking a BREAK from squatting and pressing with barbells and instead do Overhead Pressing and Bench Pressing with Dumbbells and a neutral grip (Palm-in) and squat using a cambered bar, safety bar, etc or do front squats. Do this for a couple weeks every couple of months.
    [/quote]

I’ve kept that part quoted because it made me laugh. Quite a bit. I know, it would be in my best interest to give up back squatting for a bit, however I’m a stubborn ass and that’s just not going to happen.

We don’t have a cambered bar either. My ART guy is going to come to the gym and watch me squat if I still have issues after the latest attack on me. I’m also taking from next Tuesday to the following Thursday off completely (unless wine glass curls count) from training so hopefully that will help as well.

Bartl will be massaging my shoulder like it’s his job. I’m such a nice person that I will even let him massage my shoulder on his birthday :smiley:

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Court

… (some stuff about Rugger being a pussy) …

Ruggerlife

[/quote]

I hate you.

This log is temporarily being placed on hold while I figure some shit out.

Training didn’t go overly well today and my body hates me. I’m re-evaluating life…

Court,

I don’t like the sound of your last post. I hope things work themselves out.

We’re hear for you.

So I left in a bit of a rush. I was horribly horribly frustrated last night. By the end of my training session I realized I couldn’t do a single one of the big three lifts pain-free. I’m not talking ache-free. I’m talking full out pain free.

I wanted to throw things, I cried, I took my frustration out on Bartl… and today I was frustrated some more.

After being honest with myself and what I can do without MORE pain than before I started each training session, I’ve decided to put the traditional back squat, bench and deadlift on hold. I’m doing a pretty intense rolling, mobility and stretching routine daily and am going to focus on movements I can do without pain. To be honest, there aren’t a ton.

I’m going to focus on dumbbells for any pressing that I do and mainly single-leg movements.

I’m essentially using Cressey’s foam rolling series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU Cressey’s mobility (plus a bit added for me in particular) from Max Strength and Mike Robertson’s Hardcore Stretching Program: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Hardcore+Stretching%2C+Part+II/

At this point I’m not sure if I’ll do the April meet. I’d rather hold off and do a later one here or one in the fall in the US once I’ve moved than do the April one when I’m in pain and therefore haven’t made any gains.

PS. I had a monster cheat day today as suggested by Chris. I think he felt bad for kind of getting under my skin with his tough love last night. My cheats included pancakes (half of them were chocolate chip pancakes) with syrup, ice cream and pizza. Quite delicious if you ask me.

[quote]Court wrote:
So I left in a bit of a rush. I was horribly horribly frustrated last night. By the end of my training session I realized I couldn’t do a single one of the big three lifts pain-free. I’m not talking ache-free. I’m talking full out pain free.

I wanted to throw things, I cried, I took my frustration out on Bartl… and today I was frustrated some more.

After being honest with myself and what I can do without MORE pain than before I started each training session, I’ve decided to put the traditional back squat, bench and deadlift on hold. I’m doing a pretty intense rolling, mobility and stretching routine daily and am going to focus on movements I can do without pain. To be honest, there aren’t a ton.

I’m going to focus on dumbbells for any pressing that I do and mainly single-leg movements.

I’m essentially using Cressey’s foam rolling series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU Cressey’s mobility (plus a bit added for me in particular) from Max Strength and Mike Robertson’s Hardcore Stretching Program: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Hardcore+Stretching%2C+Part+II/

At this point I’m not sure if I’ll do the April meet. I’d rather hold off and do a later one here or one in the fall in the US once I’ve moved than do the April one when I’m in pain and therefore haven’t made any gains.

PS. I had a monster cheat day today as suggested by Chris. I think he felt bad for kind of getting under my skin with his tough love last night. My cheats included pancakes (half of them were chocolate chip pancakes) with syrup, ice cream and pizza. Quite delicious if you ask me. [/quote]

we will be making some modifications to the rolling and stretching protocol next weekend. We will also be doing some stuff to “loosen” up those hips.

That’s what you get for taking your frustrations out on me and over doing it the “cheat” day.

Sorry for all your pain Court :frowning:

PS-Bartl- they are calling you out in the bodybuilding forum, wondering what all the post PC peeps have been up to this past year!!

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:

PS-Bartl- they are calling you out in the bodybuilding forum, wondering what all the post PC peeps have been up to this past year!![/quote]

Thanks for the notice! I headed over there myself and linked it to Bartl in an email. They stalked him and determined he’s been posting in the PW forum and were confused as to why he’d be doing that.

What can I say? I’m a catch!

[quote]Bartl wrote:
we will be making some modifications to the rolling and stretching protocol next weekend. We will also be doing some stuff to “loosen” up those hips.

That’s what you get for taking your frustrations out on me and over doing it the “cheat” day.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say I overdid the cheat day at all. It was a “make me feel good” day. You said so yourself! I had two healthy protein shakes PLUS a chicken salad as well! So THERE :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Court wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:

PS-Bartl- they are calling you out in the bodybuilding forum, wondering what all the post PC peeps have been up to this past year!!

Thanks for the notice! I headed over there myself and linked it to Bartl in an email. They stalked him and determined he’s been posting in the PW forum and were confused as to why he’d be doing that.

What can I say? I’m a catch![/quote]

Friends in University used to make fun of me because I was studying nutrition and at the school I was in, nutrition was part of the Home Economics department. After a while I pointed out that while they spend their day in the Chemistry Dept. lounge with all the other guys, I was hanging out in the Home Ec lounge with a couple dozen women. :slight_smile:

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:

PS-Bartl- they are calling you out in the bodybuilding forum, wondering what all the post PC peeps have been up to this past year!![/quote]

Yes, I saw that. Let them call me out all they want. I would rather hang out with hot women who like to lift heavy shit than hang with a bunch of swinging dicks whose strongest muscle is the mouth and it prolly isn’t from talking as much as they do either.