T Nation

Revolution is My Name

So I’ve been a relatively quiet lurker for a while, but now that I officially have my next goal, I’ve decided to post my log to get there. No, despite the thread name, I do not want to weigh 225… but that’s what I want to squat by September 30th. Prior to January, I had never ventured over to the “boys” side of the gym - however now, I love being one of the few girls over there and I love lifting. So much so that since I ran my half-marathon in May, I’ve had zero desire to do cardio (except some HIIT) and now lift 4-5 times a week.

So a bit of background… I was always ‘in shape’ growing up due to sports. Played tons of volleyball, soccer and ran track. University came and I met alcohol and relationship weight and by last July was 175lbs and a size 12 (this picture is from Dec 06, just a little smaller than July 07). When my size 12 work pants were getting tight, it hit me - I hated being like that. I wasn’t as confident as I used to be, and I certainly hated having to position my face ‘just so’ in order to try to minimize the double chin look, so I cleaned up my diet and played soccer all summer and (very irregularly) jogged. I’d lost 20lbs and was ‘almost’ a size 8 as of December.

That’s when my best friend got me back into the gym and running and I decided I was going to begin my quest of running a marathon by doing a half in a nearby town in May. I had my last “hoorah” in Cuba with my family over Christmas, then buckled down. I enlisted the help of my friend Todd to build some weight lifting programs as well as nutrition breakdowns for me and went to it. Getting there I went through some pretty high highs and some pretty low lows. I realized just how ‘tough’ I am and how much I can push myself through. There was a point about 3 weeks before my race when I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to do it.

I strained both of my hamstrings in one workout and on the following week’s long run, it felt like someone was taking a sledgehammer to my knee. I reached out to Bartl as I knew he was going through some of the same things in his Physique Clinic as he prepped for his Tri. He had some great advice and I went into my half KNOWING I could do it, even though I didn’t run at all in the 7 days leading up to it. On May 11th I finished my half marathon (almost in tears and with an unbelievable amount of pain in my knee) in just over 2 hours.

Since December I’ve lost only 5lbs, but have replaced a lot of fat with muscle, as I’m now sitting comfortably at a size 6 (which I haven’t been in close to 6 years). I’ve never been one to care about scale weight and track my measurements more closely (although I’d love to sit below 150). After my half, I tried a few different things, but started to get bored. I felt like I had nothing to work towards and I’m a very goal oriented person. After talking with Bartl and Todd, it was decided that I will be squatting two plates by September. And will have video to share :D.

With this log, I’ll track my progress, my workouts, as well as some ranting, raving and random thoughts to keep it interesting. Feel free to add in any advice or encouragement, or if I’m being down and a lazy ass, tell me to suck it up and hit the gym to train.

I’ll post tonights training likely tomorrow from work.

Edit: As I was browsing for that pic, I cringed. That person is gone like it’s nobody’s business. Can’t believe I actually posted it. Ah!!!

Right on court! I’m glad you set your sights on 225 because after training with you, I know you will get there.

Just remember, load for 6, lift for 8 and anything is possible!

Okay, so I just had to post a more recent pic because having that one look at me is just too much. This is one from my trip to California when I had the honor of training with Bartl and Mr. Alwyn Cosgrove!

So here goes my workout from last night. I didn’t train with Todd, but heard his evil laughter throughout most of the workout. I also heard him calling me soft/weak etc… which just fires me up and pushes me harder.

A. Back Squats - 6x4 @ 145lbs. 90s rest.
B. Deadlifts - 4x8 @ 90lbs. 60s rest.
C1. Sumo Squat - 3x8 @ 50lbs. No rest.
C2. Leg Curl - 3x8 @ 75lbs. 45s rest.
D1. Step Ups - 2x25/leg @ BW. No rest.
D2. Leg Extensions - 2x25. Set 1: 7@60lbs, 18@45lbs. Set2: 10@45lbs, 15@30lbs.
E. Calf Circuit consisting of a few different exercises.

Thoughts:

1. My deadlift sucks. I haven’t really done it before, but I feel my form was good. Maybe it was after killing myself in my squats and trying to fight off the last of this cold that’s nagging me, but I felt like I couldn’t lift anything. The goal was 125, but when I tried to do a warmup set at 90 and struggled, I decided that was my working weight. I thought it would be close-ish to my squat weight, but was promptly thrown back down to reality. It will get there. Determined.

2. My hips are mofo tight. I was knew this before, but was also told this by Alwyn, and have been trying to work on some mobility exercises, plus foam rolling like it’s my job.

3. Some of these exercises are “keep Court’s legs sexy” exercises. Therefore they suck. Ie. Going from that many step ups to extensions was cruel and unusual punishment. Almost downright evil. I could see Todd laughing at me and hear Bartl telling me to load for 6, lift for 8 as I set my determined look on my face and finished up my last set of 25. Todd didn’t know it, but we weren’t friends during my workout.

Random thought: Why do some guys insist on doing curls in the squat rack? I will rant about this often because it pisses me right off. Seriously. If there is a barbell that goes as high as you want to curl (all 65lbs), please go use it. Some guy asked to work-in with the guy in the squat rack beside me (who was…actually doing squats) and then proceeded to do whole-body curls (you know that lean all the way forward, rock your body all the way back to lift the weight up curls). I laughed then went back to my squats. It’s like he knew if he asked to work in with me I would have promptly kicked his ass out of my squat rack. I’m not exactly the most pleasant or approachable looking person while I train and have done this in the past, (sometimes) trying to spare the guy’s ego.

So my legs were sore already last night before I went to bed. Today they feel like absolute garbage, which is possibly my favorite feeling in the world. Tonight is a nice ego-busting push routine (my upper body strength is severely lacking) before playing volleyball.

awsome transformation and great numbers, keep it up

Court, check out the “Squat Rack Curls” thread on the Strength Sports forum…CLASSIC.

[quote]All2ez wrote:
awsome transformation and great numbers, keep it up[/quote]

Thanks All2ez…it’s been hard, it’s been fun. Blood sweat and tears… mostly sweat tho :smiley:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Court, check out the “Squat Rack Curls” thread on the Strength Sports forum…CLASSIC.[/quote]

You just made my afternoon!!! I’m sitting here bored at work, just did some expenses… now I’m going to waste away the rest of my afternoon trying not to laugh too loudly and disturb my nearby coworkers/managers who will then find me something to do.

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but this and chicks that do their hair and makeup in the changeroom BEFORE going on the elliptical (with a magazine and their cellphone and pumping their arms more than their legs) are two major pet peeves.

Great goal! Good luck squatting 2 plates by Sept. What is your current max?

I find it easier to do less reps and more weight on the deadlifts. Hard lift to do high reps on.

[quote]Court wrote:
Some guy asked to work-in with the guy in the squat rack beside me (who was…actually doing squats) and then proceeded to do whole-body curls (you know that lean all the way forward, rock your body all the way back to lift the weight up curls). [/quote]

Do you mean Stiff Leg Deadlifts?

That is a great workout you have there. Is that your only leg day or do you have another? It is a very CNS intensive routine with the DL and the squats so that is why I was wondering.

You look great in your pictures and I look forward to following your progress, good luck!

Congrats on ‘going heavy’ (on the iron, that is!), and on your progress so far! I’m a bit of a PL newbie by way of cardio, too, and am really liking gaining muscle and strength. The great thing about being in the earlier stages of our lifting, is that we’re almost constantly improving and setting PR’s; hubby tells me to enjoy it while it lasts!!

Not that things get awful when you’ve got more experience, you just can’t keep making huge improvements forever, so that’s where the ‘cycles’ or whatever come in. Anyway, keep enjoying things, and I’ll bet you make your squat goal :).

Hey Court, keep up the great work. I enjoyed reading your journal, especially your rants.
There’s a girl at my gym who insists on smokey eye-shadow, ends up looking like a raccoon on crack by the time she’s done.
Makes my day…:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]cvb wrote:
Great goal! Good luck squatting 2 plates by Sept. What is your current max?

I find it easier to do less reps and more weight on the deadlifts. Hard lift to do high reps on.[/quote]

Thanks! I was actually talking to Todd today and we realized we should have tested my 1RM yesterday. Instead I’m going to do it next Monday. I haven’t tested any of my maxes yet because I have never trained for pure strength before. I’ll let you know once I get there. Todd guess it’ll be around 170. But pfft…what does he know? lol

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
Court wrote:
Some guy asked to work-in with the guy in the squat rack beside me (who was…actually doing squats) and then proceeded to do whole-body curls (you know that lean all the way forward, rock your body all the way back to lift the weight up curls).

Do you mean Stiff Leg Deadlifts?

That is a great workout you have there. Is that your only leg day or do you have another? It is a very CNS intensive routine with the DL and the squats so that is why I was wondering.

You look great in your pictures and I look forward to following your progress, good luck![/quote]

Oh no, I mean bicep curls, but using his whole body to move the weight because he was attempting something too heavy.

I have another leg day…Thursday…hypertrophy. Should be a good one :slight_smile:

[quote]micropower wrote:
Congrats on ‘going heavy’ (on the iron, that is!), and on your progress so far! I’m a bit of a PL newbie by way of cardio, too, and am really liking gaining muscle and strength. The great thing about being in the earlier stages of our lifting, is that we’re almost constantly improving and setting PR’s; hubby tells me to enjoy it while it lasts!!

Not that things get awful when you’ve got more experience, you just can’t keep making huge improvements forever, so that’s where the ‘cycles’ or whatever come in. Anyway, keep enjoying things, and I’ll bet you make your squat goal :).[/quote]

Thanks micro! I’ve read some of your previous posts and you’re doing great!! It’s nice to be able to make gains on a weekly basis because I haven’t wanted to go too heavy too soon. But as others can attest, I definitely push myself hard and dammit, I will reach my goal!

[quote]skyel7 wrote:
Hey Court, keep up the great work. I enjoyed reading your journal, especially your rants.
There’s a girl at my gym who insists on smokey eye-shadow, ends up looking like a raccoon on crack by the time she’s done.
Makes my day…:-P[/quote]

I walked into the changeroom today and saw my favorite girl. First time I saw her, I thought she was done her ‘workout’ (not training…not even close to training) and had showered because she was curling her hair. Nope, I went to do a bit of a warm up on the treadmill and out she comes and hops on an eliptical. I went and trained, at most 45min-1hr at that time, came back into the changeroom and there she was curling her hair again! Seriously. Wtf. As for your crackhead raccoon, have a good laugh at her expense. And to think these girls actually believe guys are more into those ‘cardio bunnies’ than girls that lift. Pfft.

So I think it’s important to learn something new everyday. As of 9:15pm I hadn’t learned anything. So, on my way from the gym to volleyball, I decided to learn that once my gas light goes on, I have 48.9km before I run out of gas. Yep, I was THAT girl today. I had been rushing around all evening and thought I could make it to volleyball without stopping. Was going 120 in the fast lane and all of a sudden my speedometer starts sinking. Thankfully I was able to get over to the right hand shoulder and my father came to the rescue.
Blondness 1, Courtney 0.

(Please feel free to laugh it up… I know I won’t be hearing the end of this for a while)

Onto my workout. I hate push day because as I stated, my upper body strength sucks. I only had 45min to do it, and I made it in record time! Here it goes:

A. Bench Press 4x5
B. Push Press 4x6
C1. DB Flyes 3x12
C2. DB Laterals 3x12
D. Tricep Pressdowns 2x6,12,25 (Dropping the weight by half after the first 6 and again after the next 12).

My body was fried after. Between legs yesterday and this today, by the time I got to volleyball (only 15 minutes late), trying to jump in the sand and raise my arms above my head was pretty ridiculous. Tuesdays and Thursdays I play with Todd (my ever so supportive close friend and trainer) and he just kept shaking his head at me… On a scale of 1 - Dumb, I’m apparently a dumbass.

[quote]Court wrote:
I had a GIANT blonde moment!!!
[/quote]

No Need to comment.

[quote]Court wrote:

Onto my workout. I hate push day because as I stated, my upper body strength sucks. I only had 45min to do it, and I made it in record time! Here it goes:

A. Bench Press 4x5
B. Push Press 4x6
C1. DB Flyes 3x12
C2. DB Laterals 3x12
D. Tricep Pressdowns 2x6,12,25 (Dropping the weight by half after the first 6 and again after the next 12).
[/quote]

Where are the weights? I mean you did use profanities tonight in saying I underestimated your pressing prowess!

Just cause you’re trying to get stronger on your squat doesn’t mean you can’t get stronger elsewhere.

And you figure with all that extra protein you’re injesting you wouldn’t have a problem running out of gas!!

[quote]ddot76 wrote:

Where are the weights? I mean you did use profanities tonight in saying I underestimated your pressing prowess!

Just cause you’re trying to get stronger on your squat doesn’t mean you can’t get stronger elsewhere.

[/quote]

Me? Use profanities? Never! I’m sweet and pure and angelic and would never dream of using a profanity. Especially towards you. (Did you believe that?)

And thanks Todd… I know I can get stronger elsewhere and I plan on it. For those of you who don’t know Todd, that’s a typical ‘light a fire under my ass’ statement. And it works cuz I’m pissed off.

Okay I just dug out my training log and here are my weights. Please note that Todd had suggested 45lbs as my bench. Pfft.

A. 50lbs, 65lbsx3
B. 22.5lb DBs all sets
C1. 10lb DBs all sets
C2. 7.5lb DBs all sets
D. 70lbs/35lbs/20lbs for both sets.

Yes. I bench a measily 65lbs. And Bartl, I definitely loaded for 3 and lifted for 5 (not quite your motto, but close enough). I struggled for my 4th and 5th rep in all 3 sets at that weight, but I did it.

�??Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.�??

~Gail Devers

Nice work on your transformation, Court! That picture that you first posted and the you now look worlds apart…and you have nice legs - strong like bull; strong like ox!