Revolution, A Log.

14/7

Stations of The Cross

Long Hill:
sprint up, run down x5, x6 (to catch up with Kev!!), x5, x5

Papal Fran:
21/15/9 Burpees + Squats
Time: 4 mins 14 seconds

The long hill’s absolutely evil. I don’t know why anyone would run around in circles for half an hour when you can just batter yourself into the ground with some sprints. I love it.

HUGE PR on my Papal Fran as well. Last time I did it was exactly 3 weeks ago and I scored a 5.46. Knocked 1 minute and 32 seconds off that today so big strides are being made in my conditioning. Sooo breaking 4 mins next time.

Re-testing proper Fran at some stage next week, so hoping for big improvements there too.

15/7

5/3/1 - Wave 3 - “5/3/1” Day

Pull Ups:
bodyweight 2x10

Deathlift (an hommage to Misha and Kev):
60kg x5
100kg x3
140kg x2
170kg x5
195kg x3
belt
220kg x5 - I found my deadlift mojo again

Speed Pulls:
140kg 8x2

SLDL off a plate:
115kg 5x10

GM’s:
77.5kg 3x15

Pulldown Abs:
warm ups
stack +20kg 2x10, 1x8 - and my ab strength seems to be returning too!!

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
17.5kg 'bells 3x15

Alriiiiiiiight!!! Stepped it up a bit today and things came around nicely, even after running my guts out yesterday. My body seems to be my friend again

Pull ups were sweet, just banged them out cold and coulda kept going on both of em!

Gritted my teeth and went for it on the DL’s too. Mighta got a 6th, and probably shoulda gone for it. Disappointed in myself in that regard. But considering my first 5/3/1 wave I only got 210x3 I’ll take the improvement. Not too far off PR levels either, maybe 5kg away (the 232.5kg x5 I did had rest of like 10-15 seconds between reps).

Speed pulls are back cos they REALLY helped coming up to this years nationals. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to show it, but based the ease with which I pulled 250 in training they were doing the job. Probably need to introduce some grip work now cos a lot of my heavy DL’s are being done with straps cos of the crap bars in TF.

SLDL’s were nasty, gut jammed into legs and a serious back pump = sick feeling.

GM’s were much the same!

Pulldown Abs are starting to work their way back up thankfully. Not too far off PR levels there, and the cool thing is that I know when I put up 5kg more my core’s strong enough to support a 310-320kg squat!!

That’s my training fully up to date from where my last log finished off!!

Tis good to be back.

Glad to have you back in this section brother…it wasn’t the same without ya…I’ll be watching

Good to have you back!

How did the exams go anyway?

About damn time! Haha.

Hello.

Where you attending college finished UCC last year myself still living in Cork :slight_smile:

Tis good to be back lads!!

Ruggerlife, not too sure about em. Literally coulda gone either way in all cases really. Optimistic ignorant me says I may have got all 4. The realist says be happy with 3!! I’ll know for sure on August 14th!!!

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
Hello.

Where you attending college finished UCC last year myself still living in Cork :)[/quote]

I’m outta college a year and into the big bad world mate!! The exams were the chartered accountancy ones!

Based up in Dublin tho.

Torture Session

500m Row Intervals, rest as long as needed, 3x:

Total: 4mins 36.3 seconds

Tabata Intervals on “The Grappler” - http://www.exercise.co.uk/images/prod/prop_1_1084.jpg
20 seconds on, 10 off x8

Distance: .88

Today was fcuking UGLY. Absolutely horrible workout to try and do. The rows sound easy on paper, but after about 250m going hard you begin to think “why am I doing this” and with 150m left it’s just a case of grit your teeth and keep going.

Coming into the last interval Kev was leading 1-0 (with a draw on the second one) and he said sure fcuk it, we’ll go for total time, no doubt thinking his 1.3 second lead had him safe!! I actually got psyched for the last one (how ghey is that???) and just nicked him. Doubt I’ll be as lucky next time. I don’t think either of us woulda got those times withotu each to push tho so everyone wins.

The tabata’s on the grappler suuuuuuuuuuuuck. My shoulders felt like they were gonna die. Kev got his revenge here and beat me by .01. Sickening, but deserved.

Twas really nice not to have something beat the sh!t outta my shins too!!

Bench:
60kg x5
75kg x3
90kg x2
110kg x5
125kg x3
137.5kg x2 - Vooooooooooooom
100kg x10,9,8

Dips:
bodyweight +10kg 3x12

Pull Ups:
bodyweight +10kg x10, 9, 6

Face Pulls w/ straight bar on cable crossover:
82.5 3x15

supersetted with

One Arm Barbell Curls:
22.5kg x10, 6, 8

Total vomit session to be honest. Shoulders were toast after that stupid grappler yesterday.

Kev tells me when Wendler started conditioning his upperbody strength dropped off and his legs stayed ok, so he better be right!!

Shirted Bench Day

Bench:
60kg x5
80kg x3
100kg x2
120kg x1
140kg x1
shirt on - 44 Katana
160kg x2
180kg 5x2
170kg 5x2

2 Board Press w/ doubled mini bands:
60kg x5
80kg x3
100kg 9x3, 1x5

Probably doesn’t look like a whole lot, but I spend about 90 minutes on the bench today. Absolutely shagged now and my hands are red raw.

First day back in my shirt, and man it’s loose. Touched 170kg today like… was taking 200kg when I was at my heaviest a few months back. That’s just ridiculous. Buuuut it means I should be able to open on normal weights in the future!!

Groove really started to come back towards the end of the benches and the bar started to move really well. Was a bit nervous coming into it cos I knew I’d a hard day on Friday with the bench but things seemed alright today.

Gonna gradually bump up the weight on the board presses and just keep the volume really high. Hoping that’ll allow my top end strength to come back a bit quicker with comprimising recovery.

Huh, you just finished wave 3 for bench on 5/3/1… And one day later you do shirted work and board presses?

You’re crazy. You hear that? Crazy!

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Huh, you just finished wave 3 for bench on 5/3/1… And one day later you do shirted work and board presses?

You’re crazy. You hear that? Crazy!

[/quote]

Ya reckon?? If I’m putting my shirt on, it’s always on Sunday mornings so that’s just how it worked this time!!

Funny thing is, I reckon I’d have done more reps with 140kg today than I did with 137.5kg on Friday!

whoa don’t know how I missed your log v.2

glad to see you’re back

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
whoa don’t know how I missed your log v.2

glad to see you’re back[/quote]

It’s only been around a few days… just went on a mass posting spree with the workouts I hadn’t logged!!!

Squats:
60kg 2x5
100kg x3
130kg x2
155kg x5
175kg x3
belt
195kg x3
wraps
220kg x1
240kg x0

wraps off

160kg 3x5

Hack Squats:
90kg of plates 3x8

Pulldown Abs:
stack +20kg 3x10

Lying Leg Curls:
stack minus a plate 2x12

supersetted with

Machine Preacher Curls:
stack minus 2 plates 3x12

Not quite as ass kicking as I’d like… but there were mitigating factors that I’m using as my excuse;

1. 4 hours sleep last night
  2. work from 7.30am to 5.30pm with half an hour for lunch
  3. trained 7 days out of the last 8

So yeah, I’m a pussy basically!!

The squats felt ok really… not spectacular. I caved forwards in a bad way on the 240kg… if my abs had of held I’d have got it. 220kg came pretty easy like so I figured I’d go for an all time wrapped PR but it was not to be!! Happy enough considering the shocker of a day I’ve had and the fact I haven’t really had any serious weight on my back in some time.

My glutes are a bit of an issue I feel, so I’ve added in some deep as fcuk hack squats to see if it helps.

Ab strength’s coming around… I’ll push for more weight next time.

Losing weight makes gaining strength so depressingly hard, but I’ll keep pushing as always!!

[quote]Originally Posted by Hanley
29/4/09

2km in 13 minutes 22 seconds[/quote]

[quote]
Originally Posted by Hanley View Post
14/6/09
Last time I did my 2km run it was in the above time…

Well today I did it in…

12 minutes 20 seconds!!!

A 62 second PR without doing anything other than hill sprints and skipping. Pretty damn happy with that!!

Best part is, my lungs were good for way more. My calves and lower back cramping up is the only reason I didn’t go faster. I had enough energy to jog comfortably the whole time and still be able to pick it up with a little kick every now and again. I reckon the sub 12 mins 2km is on soon… Happy days.

Might take a crack at a sub 5 min 1km during the week too.[/quote]

Today, I did it in;

11 mins 25 seconds!!!

Sweet ass 55 second PR having not done a 2km since the aforementioned one!!

Pretty damn happy with that… and the best part is… NO SHIN PAIN

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Losing weight makes gaining strength so depressingly hard, but I’ll keep pushing as always!![/quote]

I’ll second that! I’ve dropped from near 260 to just under 230 and I’ve had to readjust my form. I don’t have that gut to use as counter weight anymore! I think it’s also brought out some of my weak areas as well.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Losing weight makes gaining strength so depressingly hard, but I’ll keep pushing as always!!

I’ll second that! I’ve dropped from near 260 to just under 230 and I’ve had to readjust my form. I don’t have that gut to use as counter weight anymore! I think it’s also brought out some of my weak areas as well.[/quote]

SERIOUS killer eh?? I reckon that’s why my glutes are getting hammered harder now. They’re having to do more work cos my stance is the same width it was when I had my power belly, but don’t have it to rebound off now!

Barbell Curls:
20kg - 40kg x5
50kg 2x15

Military Press:
30kg x5
45kg x5
60kg x5
67.5kg x3
75kg x4 - I know, I suck

Standing One Arm Dumbbell Press:
27.5kg 'bells 4x10

3 Board Press:
60kg x5
80kg x3
100kg x3
add in 3 board
120kg x3
135kg 5x5

Pendlay Row:
60kg x5
85kg x5
105kg 5x6

Chins:
bodyweight +15kg x10, 6, 6

Weighted Decline Sit Ups:
10kg plate on forehead 5x12

supersetted with

Face Pulls:
plate 75 5x12

End of wave 3!!

Curls were ok… first set was strict-ish. Second half of set two was sloppy.

And i know, I suck, my shoulders are ghey and my pressing strength is on par with that of a child. But I don’t care, cos strong shoulders don’t matter. (that’s what I’m telling myself!!!)

The one arm presses continue to go up. Pretty cool!!!

Board presses are coming back to, like Kev said, “it’s neural” hahahaha!! +5kg again next week on 'em.

Pendlay rows remain strong, scope for more weight there too.

Decently happy with the chins too.

Ab + upper back superset = no fun. Still, volume and all that!!