T Nation

Review this BULKING Diet

Name is MC, 22 years old, on a bulking diet. Working out 3 days a week: Mon: Chest/Tris, Wed: Legs/Shoulders/Traps, Fri or Sat: Back/Bis. Diet is:

Meal 1 (pre-workout): 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbs honey, cinnamon, vanilla flavoring, whey protein shake (1 cup skim milk, 1 cup water, 1 scoop ON 100% Gold Standard vanilla ice cream whey protein, 1/3 cup dry milk powder, 1 packet carnation instant breakfast), 1 banana, 1 Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron)

Right after workout: 1 cup water, 1 scoop ON whey protein powder, 1 Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron)

Meal 2: (within 30 minutes after workout): 1 cup egg whites, 1 whole wheat bagel, whey protein shake

Meal 3: whey protein shake, 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 apple, 1/4 cup raisins

Meal 4: whey protein shake, 4oz chicken breast, green vegatable (green beans/asparagus/etc)

Meal 5: whey protein shake, 4oz salmon fillet, green vegetable

Meal 6 (before bed): 8oz Ocean Spray cranberry juice cocktail, Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron), whey protein shake, 1 cup egg whites, 4oz sliced northwestern turkey breast (from grocery deli)

Alright, that’s it, have at it.

First thing you should do is change some of those shakes to solid foods (steak, fish, potatoes,etc.)

Just found my favorite bulking food

8 eggo nutri-grain waffles
8 Tbsp extra crunchy peanut butter
Aunt Jemima Butter Light syrup
24oz glass of milk

mmmmmmm baby

Without your weight and goals its hard to get an accurate critique, however I would have to say that the calories are low, you lack whole food, and its (Im gonna get blasted for this one) too clean. Without some not super clean foods, and whole foods, I don’t think you will have the success you would like in sticking to your diet.

Your PWO sucks ass.

Add a chicken/sweet potato meal in there. Its good, just not what is normally thought of as a “bulk diet”.

Bro keep it clean, just add more food. Don’t listen to the fat f@ckers. They end up cutting for months at a time and lossing thier gains anyway.

More food…

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Your PWO sucks ass.[/quote]

Exactly! And the post above is correct–too clean. Not that you have to slob down dbl cheeseburgers, but egg whites? Skim milk?

You don’t have near enough fats in that diet. And no carbs after a workout is always a no-no, but a big humungo no-no when trying to add mass.

Get some fats in there and it will be real easy. Use the yolk. Use 2% or whole milk. Add a tbsp of olive oil to something you are eating or drinking–it will do your body good–trust me.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Your PWO sucks ass.[/quote]

bet it tastes good tho

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:
Name is MC, 22 years old, on a bulking diet. Working out 3 days a week: Mon: Chest/Tris, Wed: Legs/Shoulders/Traps, Fri or Sat: Back/Bis. Diet is:

Meal 1 (pre-workout): 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbs honey, cinnamon, vanilla flavoring, whey protein shake (1 cup skim milk, 1 cup water, 1 scoop ON 100% Gold Standard vanilla ice cream whey protein, 1/3 cup dry milk powder, 1 packet carnation instant breakfast), 1 banana, 1 Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron)

Right after workout: 1 cup water, 1 scoop ON whey protein powder, 1 Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron)

Meal 2: (within 30 minutes after workout): 1 cup egg whites, 1 whole wheat bagel, whey protein shake

Meal 3: whey protein shake, 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 apple, 1/4 cup raisins

Meal 4: whey protein shake, 4oz chicken breast, green vegatable (green beans/asparagus/etc)

Meal 5: whey protein shake, 4oz salmon fillet, green vegetable

Meal 6 (before bed): 8oz Ocean Spray cranberry juice cocktail, Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron), whey protein shake, 1 cup egg whites, 4oz sliced northwestern turkey breast (from grocery deli)

Alright, that’s it, have at it.[/quote]

You definitely have enough food and a great base, but it could be improved.
Green veggies are awesome, so are purple, red, white, yellow and orange ones. I’d add some variety and more of them, aiming for 1 veggie every meal but PWO and 1 or 2 more.

Onions and sweet peppers can be sauteed in a pan and then cooked with your egg whites. You could add mixed greens, red cabbage and carrots to meal 3 along with the walnuts, apple and raisins to make a pretty bitchin salad. Or you can cut out that shake, BECAUSE DUDE YOU HAVE TOO MANY SHAKES, and have the salad with a bowl of yogurt and the fruit on the side.

Meal 4 or meal 5 can also lose a shake in favor of a brown rice or quinoa pilaf or maybe some beans, they all have protein, I promise.
PWO shake needs some simple carbs, e.g. dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

And add some fish, flax and olive oil in there. flax oil on the salad, olive oil for cooking, fish oil before bed maybe.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Your PWO sucks ass.

bet it tastes good tho[/quote]

A cup of water, a scoop of Fuckin’ ON whey and a vitamin tastes good?

Uggh.

Ok now that I have more time…

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:
Name is MC, 22 years old, on a bulking diet. Working out 3 days a week: Mon: Chest/Tris, Wed: Legs/Shoulders/Traps, Fri or Sat: Back/Bis.[/quote]

For a bulking phase- your workout is pretty weak. Why only work each muscle group once a week? Check out some of the programs on this site. I think you’ll find something more suitable.

[quote]Diet is:

Meal 1 (pre-workout): 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbs honey, cinnamon, vanilla flavoring, whey protein shake (1 cup skim milk, 1 cup water, 1 scoop ON 100% Gold Standard vanilla ice cream whey protein, 1/3 cup dry milk powder, 1 packet carnation instant breakfast), 1 banana, 1 Alive! whole food vitamin (with iron)[/quote]

Holy concoction batman! Why mix so much stuff together? Just keep it simple. Have a full serving of oatmeal (lord help us if it’s instant…) and a 2 scoop shake with just water (or milk if you prefer). If you have 40 minutes to put your breakfast together, go for it. Most people don’t have that much time.

You need carbs PWO dude. Read the thread on Surge. Ditch the ON whey here and at least drink some chocolate (not skim) milk.

Are you cutting? Also you should wait 60 minutes. Eat the whole damn egg and about 6 of em and a couple bagels.

Are you in kindergarten? Actually this isn’t horrible. Not that much food though.

Again with the small protions and the whey. Whey alone will not make you gain weight. Ditch the shake here and double the meat, hell triple it and add in some healthy fat.

Ditto.

Why is your last meal bigger than most of your other meals? You should also consider something like cottage cheese (if you like it) or the like. Read the thread on Metabolic Drive where it discusses Micellar Casein Protein.

How’d I do?

I know it always seems like we around here suggest food and more food and then some more food, but really that is about the only way to increase size. You can’t eat like a bird and think you’re going to get results just because you’re drinking protein shakes.

You also need to take a look at your workout and find one that will help you take advantage of your caloric surplus.

Agreed. You can take all the whey protein shakes and all the Alive! whole food vitamins (with iron) that you want and it will not get you big. If you want to get big you have to eat whole food.

Meat, healthy fats, fiber carbs and whole milk are what people have used all along to get big. These foods are clean, healthy, whole and not shaken or in vitamin form. Futhermore your body will feel better and perform better eating whole food.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
…Meal 2: (within 30 minutes after workout): 1 cup egg whites, 1 whole wheat bagel, whey protein shake

Are you cutting? Also you should wait 60 minutes. Eat the whole damn egg and about 6 of em and a couple bagels…
[/quote]

ATTA BOY, LOL! That’s where I was goin.

It’s too bad everybody landing here looking to improve couldn’t be put under deep hypnosis and have every single shred of mainstream nutrition propaganda expunged from their memory.

The OP is getting some good input all over the place in this thread.

Try not to have so many shakes, get your protein from real sources.I know its easier and quicker but I did this for a long time and since I’ve got back to natural sources of protein I’ve made much better gains.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
n3wb wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Your PWO sucks ass.

bet it tastes good tho

A cup of water, a scoop of Fuckin’ ON whey and a vitamin tastes good?

Uggh.[/quote]

I was lookin at the first meal didnt read his post all the way

Thanks for the input, boys. The reason why I have so many shakes in the diet is because I don’t have time to prepare meals. College and work. I can just whip up 6 shakes the night before and be good to go the next day.

Plus, the shakes provide:
420 calories everytime
45g protein
70g carbs
5g fat

Times that by 6, and it’s 2,520 calories easy, 270g protein easy, and 420g carbs easy. I will try to change the post-meal shake. I know you seee it. I mean, I know that I need to make it some sort of crazy concoction. So, I’ll do it. Any takers? Also, don’t count on more whole food, I just don’t have time to sit down and have a good meal every 2 hours. I have about 15 minutes to each each meal, if that.

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:
Thanks for the input, boys. The reason why I have so many shakes in the diet is because I don’t have time to prepare meals. College and work. I can just whip up 6 shakes the night before and be good to go the next day.

Plus, the shakes provide:
420 calories everytime
45g protein
70g carbs
5g fat

Times that by 6, and it’s 2,520 calories easy, 270g protein easy, and 420g carbs easy. I will try to change the post-meal shake. I know you seee it. I mean, I know that I need to make it some sort of crazy concoction. So, I’ll do it. Any takers? Also, don’t count on more whole food, I just don’t have time to sit down and have a good meal every 2 hours. I have about 15 minutes to each each meal, if that.[/quote]

You’re missing out on so much’other stuff’ by not eating real food. You have to set your priorities and do the best you can. I just don’t believe you can bulk effectively on a shake based diet.

And you’re getting nowheres near the fat you should be taking in. 5g out of 420 calories is not enough.

Also, it is not near as vital to eat every 2-3 hours when bulking as when cutting. You don’t go to school on the weekends. You could at least throw some roast beef in a slow cooker. Ham in the oven. Steak and burgers on the grill…

I’m trying to do this in a healthy way, too, men. I don’t want to die of a heart attack at age 40. I’m trying to keep things as clean as possible because with all of this food that I’m intaking, all of the bad things can add up just as much as the good things. I can actually get a good 4000-5000 calories in a day with a heavy shake diet.

Isn’t it true that the only thing that matters is calories, no matter how you do it?

[quote]UrbanSmooth wrote:
I’m trying to do this in a healthy way, too, men. I don’t want to die of a heart attack at age 40. I’m trying to keep things as clean as possible because with all of this food that I’m intaking, all of the bad things can add up just as much as the good things. I can actually get a good 4000-5000 calories in a day with a heavy shake diet.

Isn’t it true that the only thing that matters is calories, no matter how you do it?[/quote]

If you think a diet based on shakes is the healthy alternative, I’d disagree.

If you think eating a diet that is aprox. 60/30/10 c/p/f is healthy I would disagree.

I’m in my mid-forties and eat aprox. 30-40% of my calories from fat. Acalorie is not just a calorie. While overall calories is important, where you get them from and their macro makeup is important as well.

I see your body peaking and valleying a lot with that intake. I don’t see satiaety. Flavor. Phytos.

The diet is not entirely shakes. There is more food there than the shakes. The shakes are there to add the extra calories and protein in a convenient way. If you think I’m having a Thanksgiving feast every 2 hours, you have too much time on your hands. I’m guessing this will work, provided I haven’t had too much criticism. It seems like I need to add another solid meal and have a full protein shake right after my work out with 8oz Welch’s 100% grape juice and one Alive! Whole Food Vitamain. Which, I will.

Five will get you ten that I’ll see some crazy gains before you can flick mud at a cow in the rain. But first, I’m off to the mall to get some more plates for my barbell set. Gonna switch the cell phone to silent mode, this is business. Stupid rush hour traffic! Crazy Madison streets! But, for the prize, I will get there and win!