Review My Computer Choice

You just need to get yourself a dell. It has everything you need. You don’t believe me? Check out this link :wink:

Featured Content on Myspace"

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Okay, I asked before for suggestions on what to get, and this is what I narrowed it down to. I had to copy and paste because if I post the link you’d have to log in as me to see it:

"My Components
PROCESSOR AMD Athlon? 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ edit

OPERATING SYSTEM & TV-TUNERS Genuine Windows? XP Media Center Edition 2005 edit

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS VISTA Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition edit

MEMORY 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs edit

HARD DRIVE 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache? edit

OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 16X DVD ROM Drive and 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo edit
MONITOR 19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel edit

VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE TurboCache edit

SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit

My Accessories
SPEAKERS Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer edit

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse edit (can’t choose none)

FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit

MODEM No Modem Option edit

My Software
PRODUCTIVITY No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit (I have MS Word on disk)

ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY No Security Subscription edit

PHOTOS, MUSIC & MORE! No preinstalled software edit

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Mouse Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package

Adobe Software Adobe? Acrobat? Reader 7.0

Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Future Operating Systems Windows Vista? Capable"

TOTAL PRICE: $719 with free shipping.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Cost is a pretty important factor, and I was actually looking to spend less, but really wanted the 19" flat screen, and the speakers.
[/quote]

Dude just head down to your local Fry’s Electronics and find some good deals. And if the prices are kinda high on certain items, i.e. video cards are expensive as shit at Fry’s, just get them from Newegg or Pricewatch.

Just built my first system a couple of months ago:

Athlon 64 3800+
1GB DDR400
250GB HD
Geforce 7600gt

Plays everything on high settings with AA at 1280x1024. I’m probably never going back to company built, although I’d suggest you get a Gateway. I’ve found their technical support to be excellent. If all you are doing is web surfing then I don’t see a problem with what you bought, but I’d still build one.

Dell is pretty much the worst of the computer industry. Anything pre-built from the big names is pretty much junk.

Yea, I figured getting a Dell was pretty much only best for convenience purposes.

I also remember hearing that since Dell came out with Walmart-like supply and cheap prices, it’s not worth building one from scratch anymore, where as a few years ago building your own was the best and cheapest option.

Maybe Dells used to be better, and aren’t anymore since it’s been a while since I heard that.

How to build your own. This is a very good guide:

http://www.newegg.com is the best place I’ve found to buy parts. Their prices and service are fantastic.

I read the reviews on Newegg before buying from UK firms.

I got a Benq FP91G+ monitor over here because of the reviews I read there.

For anyone thinking of building a PC, Core 2 Duo and the Quad Core Intel stuff is the best to get, the cheapest Core 2 Duo 6300 overclocks like a mutha and you can get similar performance to much more expensive chips from the same range for loads less cash this way.