T Nation

Review/Criticize This Program?

Good times people,

I have made workout for myself to train to gain muscle, get bigger, wider back, shoulders, arms and legs. Not just bigger, definite and powerful.

Could you review it and tell me what is wrong, weak or needs change?
Much appreciated.

Height: 183cm
Weight: 76kg

Sunday #1:
Weighted pull-ups on machine - 4 sets, 7x7x7x7, 2 sets at 80kg, 2 sets at 86kg.
Seated Rows on machine - 4 sets, 7x7x7x7, 1 set at 82kg, 3 sets at 86kg.
Legs press on machine - 4 sets, 7x7x7x7, 2 sets at 80kg, 2 sets at 86kg.
Shoulder press on machine - 4 sets, 7x7x7x7, 1 set at 50kg, 3 sets at 59kg.

Monday #2:
Bench press - 4 sets, 7x7x7x7, 2 sets at 80kg, 2 sets at 90kg
Biceps seated curls - 4 sets, 10x9x9x8, 1 set at 25LBS, 3 sets at 35lbs
Triceps on row machine - 4 sets, 8x8x8x8, don't remember the weights :confused:

Wednesday #1.
Thursday #2.

ABS every workout, but I'm sure it is proper.

What are “Weighted pull-ups on machine”?

Looks awful to me, but what do I know.

I’m intrigued how you do triceps on a rowing machine, or why you would do it.

I’m also intrigued why you would need a machine to do weighted pull ups? I normally use a pull-up bar and some weights.

More constructively though:
Do you have access to free weights?

my guess is he means the opposite of weighted pull ups. He probably means weight-assisted pull ups. Those things you can put your knees on that go up and down…

This routine will not likely make you ‘powerful’. It’s a very limited routine, and since it’s comprised entirely of machine-work, it ends up compartmentalizing your body to an undesirable degree. I think if you’ve never really worked out before, you’ll be able to make some progress doing this, but it’s not a good long-term program.

So a few questions: how did you come up with this program? have you considered simply doing a more well thought-out program that has been written by someone else? There are plenty of well-designed programs in the archives on this site written by awesome coaches. Also, is there a reason you’re almost completely avoiding barbells and dumbbells? Why are you bench pressing free weights, but shoulder pressing on a machine? Why free weight biceps, but triceps on a machine?

Also, is there any flexibility in your programming to accommodate slowing/stalled gains? What about manipulation of set and rep schemes?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
my guess is he means the opposite of weighted pull ups. He probably means weight-assisted pull ups. Those things you can put your knees on that go up and down…[/quote]

I had thought about that, but am confused since he says he weighs 76kg and will be using 80kg - 86kg. Does that make sense for machine assisted pull-ups? I’ve never actually used one of those things.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
my guess is he means the opposite of weighted pull ups. He probably means weight-assisted pull ups. Those things you can put your knees on that go up and down…

This routine will not likely make you ‘powerful’. It’s a very limited routine, and since it’s comprised entirely of machine-work, it ends up compartmentalizing your body to an undesirable degree. I think if you’ve never really worked out before, you’ll be able to make some progress doing this, but it’s not a good long-term program.

So a few questions: how did you come up with this program? have you considered simply doing a more well thought-out program that has been written by someone else? There are plenty of well-designed programs in the archives on this site written by awesome coaches. Also, is there a reason you’re almost completely avoiding barbells and dumbbells? Why are you bench pressing free weights, but shoulder pressing on a machine? Why free weight biceps, but triceps on a machine?

Also, is there any flexibility in your programming to accommodate slowing/stalled gains? What about manipulation of set and rep schemes?[/quote]

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

I’m also intrigued why you would need a machine to do weighted pull ups? I normally use a pull-up bar and some weights.

Do you have access to free weights?[/quote]

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
my guess is he means the opposite of weighted pull ups. He probably means weight-assisted pull ups. Those things you can put your knees on that go up and down…[/quote]

I had thought about that, but am confused since he says he weighs 76kg and will be using 80kg - 86kg. Does that make sense for machine assisted pull-ups? I’ve never actually used one of those things. [/quote]

Sorry, I meant Weighted pulldowns (lat pulldown) :smiley:
On row machine I do triceps with standing position facing the machine and pulling the rope down, back up, again down. If it is not appropriate to do triceps like that, which is much effective?)

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Looks awful to me… [/quote]

I stand by my statement then.

[quote]AknurA wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Also, is there any flexibility in your programming to accommodate slowing/stalled gains? What about manipulation of set and rep schemes?[/quote]

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Do you have access to free weights?[/quote]

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I had thought about that, but am confused since he says he weighs 76kg and will be using 80kg - 86kg. Does that make sense for machine assisted pull-ups? I’ve never actually used one of those things. [/quote]

Sorry, I meant Weighted pulldowns (lat pulldown) :smiley:
On row machine I do triceps with standing position facing the machine and pulling the rope down, back up, again down. If it is not appropriate to do triceps like that, which is much effective?)
[/quote]

Those are just called rope pull downs. And yes, that’s a good triceps exercise.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

So a few questions: how did you come up with this program? have you considered simply doing a more well thought-out program that has been written by someone else? There are plenty of well-designed programs in the archives on this site written by awesome coaches. Also, is there a reason you’re almost completely avoiding barbells and dumbbells? Why are you bench pressing free weights, but shoulder pressing on a machine? Why free weight biceps, but triceps on a machine?[/quote]

I have read some articles before and looked at machines I have at my gym, so I thought about it all by myself. Why machines… Because I don’t know other ways more effective ways. I know it is bad, but due to the limited knowledge of exercises I am using machines. No, there is no reason I avoid them, but I don’t want to lift heavy-weights in standing positions, since I have some hope to add +3-4cm in my height :slight_smile:

[quote]

Did not get what exactly you mean

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I stand by my statement then.[/quote]

then could you advise?)

[quote]AknurA wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I stand by my statement then.[/quote]

then could you advise?)[/quote]

I would pick any program that starts with a compound movement. There are a lot.

[quote]AknurA wrote:
No, there is no reason I avoid them, but I don’t want to lift heavy-weights in standing positions, since I have some hope to add +3-4cm in my height :slight_smile:
[/quote]

You aren’t going to stint your growth lifting heavy in a standing position especially at 18.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]AknurA wrote:
No, there is no reason I avoid them, but I don’t want to lift heavy-weights in standing positions, since I have some hope to add +3-4cm in my height :slight_smile:
[/quote]

You aren’t going to stint your growth lifting heavy in a standing position especially at 18. [/quote]

At 18, you are probably not going to be adding any more height, full stop.

OP: there are plenty of well designed plans out there that will do exactly what you want very well. We can guide to towards these with a bit of information:

What equipment do you have available to you (ie. a bench, a squat rack etc.)?
What time do you have to train? Is there a reason you only train on Mondays and Sundays?
Do you have any medical issues we should be aware of?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]AknurA wrote:
[/quote]

You aren’t going to stint your growth lifting heavy in a standing position especially at 18. [/quote]

At 18, you are probably not going to be adding any more height, full stop.

OP: there are plenty of well designed plans out there that will do exactly what you want very well. We can guide to towards these with a bit of information:

What equipment do you have available to you (ie. a bench, a squat rack etc.)?
What time do you have to train? Is there a reason you only train on Mondays and Sundays?
Do you have any medical issues we should be aware of?[/quote]

bench machine on which you lay down and push the weight which is easily fixable at any height by screwing bar, squat rack is on the same machine, rope machine, dumbbells,
No there is no reason I train on those days,
I just chose the days on which I feel most comfortable, but it does not matter.
No, I don’t have any medical issues.

dagill, he said he’s training sunday Monday Wednesday Thursday. I think you missed that.

Aknur. You will have more success if you find a program written by a professional coach, and do that program. You will get better results than by doing the program you wrote. My suggestion would be 5/3/1, which is Jim Wendler’s program. He has an E-book for sale that will tell you everything you need to know to get started. The price of the book is well worth the time and effort you will save.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
dagill, he said he’s training sunday Monday Wednesday Thursday. I think you missed that.[/quote]
I missed it, my bad.

[quote]
Aknur. You will have more success if you find a program written by a professional coach, and do that program. You will get better results than by doing the program you wrote. My suggestion would be 5/3/1, which is Jim Wendler’s program. He has an E-book for sale that will tell you everything you need to know to get started. The price of the book is well worth the time and effort you will save.[/quote]

I echo this 1,000%. I wish I’d had the brains to use professional programs when I started lifting.