Reversing Gum Disease...

Is it possible to reverse a receding gumline with a non-medical method?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Is it possible to reverse a receding gumline with a non-medical method?[/quote]

Hey, BB. I’d ask how you’ve been, but I think the answer is in your question.

In general, no. Typically gums receding will not regenerate or reattach to the exposed tooth. In most minor cases, scraping the gums (sometimes called scaling, and very unpleasant) can help; in worse cases, surgery to reattach the gums is required. There is a new procedure available that amounts to gluing the gums back with a dental adhesive, but it’s not widely available.

If your gaps are greater than 5mm, you’re looking at having things done that fall on the ‘seriously not fun’ end of the scale. Gaps don’t get smaller by themselves, unlike other regenerative parts of the body.

Sorry, man.

SDSR/Cap’nSpackle

Luckily it’s not for me. :slight_smile: I was hoping that some daily gentle stimulation might help but I don’t want to exacerbate the problem.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Luckily it’s not for me. :slight_smile: I was hoping that some daily gentle stimulation might help but I don’t want to exacerbate the problem.[/quote]

Right on. Honestly, if the problem isn’t as bad as 5 and 6mm gaps, flossing and brushing with stimulator brushes will slow or stop the progression. So, yeah, stimulation helps; have your friend get a rubber tip (even big toothpick stimulators work – look in your pharmacy dental section) and push the tip into the gap between teeth. It makes a difference wrt slowing the development of a problem.

[quote]sdspeedracer wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
Is it possible to reverse a receding gumline with a non-medical method?

Hey, BB. I’d ask how you’ve been, but I think the answer is in your question.

In general, no. Typically gums receding will not regenerate or reattach to the exposed tooth. In most minor cases, scraping the gums (sometimes called scaling, and very unpleasant) can help; in worse cases, surgery to reattach the gums is required. There is a new procedure available that amounts to gluing the gums back with a dental adhesive, but it’s not widely available.

If your gaps are greater than 5mm, you’re looking at having things done that fall on the ‘seriously not fun’ end of the scale. Gaps don’t get smaller by themselves, unlike other regenerative parts of the body.

Sorry, man.

SDSR/Cap’nSpackle[/quote]

Agreed, there is nothing outside of surgery that can be done. The question is, what is causing the gum recession? If it is not due to poor hygiene, than the massaging may not be as helpful. My gums receeded due to two factors. I brushed my teeth way too hard, and I have TMJ (meaning that I clench my teeth all the time). Both of these lead to gum recession.

So, my point is that gum recession is a symptom of something. Find the something and you’ll be OK.