Reverse Pyramid Training and My Workout Plan

I was referring to your general anti-social, I’m better than everyone attitude in this thread…as if all the “advanced lifters” OWE YOU something. The level of analysis you are seeking you can only get by actually paying a professional.

good job on the improvements, but remember that sustained effort over one month is hardly noteworthy.

keep it up.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
good job on the improvements, but remember that sustained effort over one month is hardly noteworthy.

keep it up.[/quote]

I agree. But I’m keeping track of my progress so I can monitor any failure.

In all likelihood though I’ll be going back to 5/3/1 (this one’s more like 8/6/4/1) very soon.

[quote]sepandee wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Man, I’d be surprised if OP has any friends other than his mom IRL. [/quote]

Umm, bravo. Point well made. You’ve clearly shown your ability to critically analyze my counterpoints in the same way a third grades retorts against his classmates.

I just responded to the points that was made and said thanks. I’m not sure what’s going on with this last set of replies. If I’m wrong, then just say I’m wrong and why and be helpful. If you can’t bother with that, then just leave it be. For example, [quote]More constructively, your lateral deltoids need some work, still.
[/quote] and [quote]You are 160 pounds. You need mass and hypertrophy. Depending on your height, I guess you need at least 20 pounds of muscle to be able to reach some decent strength level.[/quote] are helpful, valid, and constructive tips, so thank you both for those comments.

Well, as examples, in exactly 34 days I’ve done the following:

Squat: 245 x 1 → 245 x 5
Deadlift: 305 x 1 mixed grip → 300 x 5 after a 290 x 5 set, regular overhand grip and done very easily.
Chinups: (BW+40lb) x 6 → (BW+60lb) x 6
OHP (remember, multiple shoulder injuries): 120 x 1 → 135lb x 1 (yes, still a far way to go).

I’d say that’s decent progress in one month, no? If my workout plan sucks and I stall/get injured quickly, then I’ll go back to my similar-and-not-so-similar-to 5/3/1 program from before which had a lot more volume and had me training 4 days a week.
[/quote]

As I see by your numbers, youa re a beginner I guess. So, even in the most sucky program you would made some kind of impromevent. Don’t get cocky. And the fact that you need to gain weight and that your medial deltoids needing more work, are good advice. If you insecure and can’t sustain critique, is you problem. In forums, when you ask for opinions, get ready to get called out on things. Suck it up. I hope you have/make a lot of money, or else you are going to be in deep shit in your life…

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

As I see by your numbers, youa re a beginner I guess. So, even in the most sucky program you would made some kind of impromevent. Don’t get cocky. And the fact that you need to gain weight and that your medial deltoids needing more work, are good advice. If you insecure and can’t sustain critique, is you problem. In forums, when you ask for opinions, get ready to get called out on things. Suck it up. I hope you have/make a lot of money, or else you are going to be in deep shit in your life…[/quote]

Actually, what I find very amusing is that all I did was just reply to the comments that were made, almost taking on the role of devil’s advocate to further initiate discussion so that I can understand better. At no point did I come up with a cocky attitude, and if you look at my posts, I mentioned every single time that I’m a beginner, and even pointed out that my gains right now are just newbie beginner gains.

So no, good sir. I’m very open to suggestions and advice and constructive criticism and I’m not worried about my own attitude. It’s you who should worry, easily becoming judgmental over nothing.

I posted here so I can get some feedback. I replied to the feedback so I can get more out of it. I’m not sure where it is that I’ve erred, offending so many in the process. If I am that blind and I can’t even see my supposed “cocky” attitude, then I sincerely apologize for offending anyone with my hostile attitude.

I’m not sure, but it could be that first paragraph.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
I’m not sure, but it could be that first paragraph.

[/quote]

I said that because of the tendency of most people to give an opinion on workout plans and lifting exercises after hitting the gym only twice. Just take a look at every bodybuilding/lifting forum: it’s full of ridiculous crap. I’m just trying to avoid more ridiculous crap being spread (of which there’s plenty), that’s all.

OK, so after taking everything in consideration, I’ve come up with the following changes (changes are indicated by and -: plus means it’s an addition, and minus means it’s been taken off):

Mondays (Deadlift and Chinup day)

Deadlifts 2 x 3-5
Chinups 3 x 4-6
BB Bent Over Row: 3 x 5
Face Pulls 3 x 10-12
Lateral Raise 3 x 10-12
BB Curls: 1 x 10-12

Wednesday (Press)

Bench Press 3 x 6-8
Overhead press 3 x 6-8
Inclined Bench Press 3 x 5 or 6
Some shrug exercise x 2 sets of 8-12 reps
----- Tricep dips: 1 x 8-10 reps
Some tricep exercise like cable pushdown or cable tricep kickback 2 x 8-12

Friday (Squat)

BB Back Squat 3 x 4-6
Hip Thrusts 3 x 6-8
----- Front Squat
Either Good Morning or Romanian Deadlift 3 x5-8
Underhand narrow grip (almost shoulder width) seated cable rows 2 x 8-10
Rear Lateral Raise 3 x 8-12
Tricep dips: 1 x 8-10 reps, and not to failure (just because I love this exercise)

Now, does this look better in terms of distribution and keeping my shoulders safe?

That looks ‘alright’ but…I honestly can’t see any ‘-’ or ‘+’ symbols so my eyesight could be lacking…
The shrugs after your day with loads of back work are going to be sub-par due to fatigue (assuming you go all out for the back work on monday) so are not really useful.

Lateral raises are a good addition. Face pulls also. Though If I was to do your split (I wouldn’t, honestly) I’d swap laterals to day 2 and shrugs to day 1. (Obviously trapezius is involved in pressing and pulling but a) trapezius interferes with deltoid recruitment and b) lateral raises are not ‘pulling’).

For the BB curls, you have grudgingly put in a single set haven’t you lol? Obviously I think a bit more would not hurt (biceps can recover quickly relative to other muscle groups, perhaps as they are built for long-duration carries?
But anyway, If you are stuck on doing only one set, it won’t be ideal. Make that set FUCKING INTENSE contraction and really control the negative. You say you love good form, so that should be fine.

Tricep isolation movement is a good idea. See above: focus on the triceps, make it intense, make the few sets count as much as possible.

While I think the rear laterals on leg day are okay (won’t hurt, and I am an advocate of doing loads of rear laterals for shoulder health) the tricep dips and cable rows on leg day are random, due to the fact you’re only training 3 days per week. Won’t hurt, I guess.

STILL absence of direct abdominal work. STILL you have a good ‘chest’ day, an okay ‘back’ day, a sort-of okay ‘legs’ day, some other stuff sprinkled throughout, it is what it is. You asked if you should be safe: yes.

Regarding attitude (as others have mentioned) attitude is subjective, and you don’t perceive yourself as having an attitude. Fine. Realise however that you asked a bunch of good guys, more experienced guys than yourself, for advice, and when they gave it, you quoted vague memories of studies to contradict them, among this you said some silly stuff like ‘deadlifts hit the arms almost better than anything else’ - lmfao. Just remember, if you don’t like the answer you get, don’t ask questions.

I hope you progress a lot and add 10-20% to all your lifts, and that will be a good result

The complete lack of enthusiasm for your plan should be telling you something but I’m guessing you’re at the age where it’s not.

Oh, the plusses disappeared. :S

Forgot to mention that I do three sets of leg raises on deadlift and squat day for now. THis might change and I might instead only do it on squat day but add something like ab-ripperX on two off days.

Regarding attitude, biceps, etc., I’ll get back on that as I have to go to the gym now. Just one thing: if you hated my previous workout and think the updated one is so-so, then what do you think of Martin Berkhan’s workout or Starting Strength?

Those have even fewer exercises and less overall volume, and neither Martin nor Rippetoe think it necessary to add core workouts, or that, as someone else mentioned on this thread previously, a skinny guy can’t work on strength until he adds 20lb of muscle.

[quote]sepandee wrote:
Oh, the plusses disappeared. :S

Forgot to mention that I do three sets of leg raises on deadlift and squat day for now. THis might change and I might instead only do it on squat day but add something like ab-ripperX on two off days.

Regarding attitude, biceps, etc., I’ll get back on that as I have to go to the gym now. Just one thing: if you hated my previous workout and think the updated one is so-so, then what do you think of Martin Berkhan’s workout or Starting Strength?

Those have even fewer exercises and less overall volume, and neither Martin nor Rippetoe think it necessary to add core workouts, or that, as someone else mentioned on this thread previously, a skinny guy can’t work on strength until he adds 20lb of muscle.[/quote]

I did starting strength. I think it’s shit (read my earlier replies for reasons why). It builds average levels of strength, and fails to address weaknesses entirely.
I think Berkhan has interesting ideas about diet but his advice regarding training is not ideal - see above. I have not read his ‘specific’ plan - but I know the gist of his philosophy - compounds, infrequent, etc.

I like to either: do full body 6x per week, A/B fashion (ie train half body with 1-2 movements each on alternate days) a1,a2,b1,b2,c1,c2 (get me?) Or do a standard bodybuilding sort of split (5 day, 6 day etc) - See Kingbeefs ‘do this routine not that dumb one’ thread and basically pick any one mentioned there, do not second guess it. That guy is very intelligent about his training and has a sick build top show for it.

Maybe not the answer you want. You are making a compromise by training only 3 times per week, which is fair enough. You may be busy. But ask yourself: to be good at a thing, would you do it 3x per week, or 6x? Please take the advice in the nature it’s intended. If you disagree, please train hard in your style for 2-3 years and try to prove any naysayers wrong!