Reverse Hypers

I just started to add them to my core workout and boy are they hammering my back. I dont have the machine but I have been doing it off my weider single bench with a suzzane sommers step up box under the end that I have my legs hanging over. I used 5lb ankle weights for 15 reps and 3 sets. I thought it wouldnt be enough but my lower back isnt as strong as I thought it was. well my question would be how could I add more weight and what set/rep scheme do you guys use for gaining super lower back strength??

I do dead lift occasionslly but I dont know exactly if I am doing it right because I have never been coached on it, so i dont do it as much as I should.

While the reverse hyper is a great machine and great exercise, it is not the be all, end all in lower back strength. You can get strong without having ever done a single rep.

There are plenty of deadlift variations that will strengthen your lower back. Regular back extensions, both flat and 45 degree, do wonders as well. And don’t forget that heavy squatting will also hit your back.

Now if you are doing reverse hypers, great; even if they are makeshift. Start with 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps and work from there. Don’t get wrapped up in some magical set/rep scheme. Experiment and do what works for you and get stronger. Be instinctual and listen to your body.

My body says Ding-Dongs are yummy,
Toddy