T Nation

Reverse Hyper

Like many people I dont have a reverse hyper, and have been using RDL’s, one-leg back extentions and weighted 45 degree backextentions. But I was wondering if doing a reverse hyper with out the machine is a waste of time ( I was thinking of attaching weights to my ankles and doing the exercise that way).
Any thoughs?
Will42

Well, that’s how I do 'em, so I sure as hell hope they aren’t a waste of time!

Seriously, at my sissified gym theres a table(?) that comes to about belly button height, and is pretty narrow, a little less than shoulder width. I use those ankle straps that the housewives use to hit their inner and outer thighs and I wind a football belt through their buckles. Then I attach a dumbbell to belt (sorry I can’t think of any clearer way to describe it.) It’s pretty tough, but i think it hits my posterior chain pretty hard.

I got a football routine from Coach John Davies a while back and he had me doing them (even if it was over the cab of a pick-up truck) three times per week in sets of twenty with no weight. So do 'em any way you can!

[quote]Will42 wrote:
Like many people I dont have a reverse hyper, and have been using RDL’s, one-leg back extentions and weighted 45 degree backextentions. But I was wondering if doing a reverse hyper with out the machine is a waste of time ( I was thinking of attaching weights to my ankles and doing the exercise that way).
Any thoughs?
Will42[/quote]

do’em…if you get stronger then they’re not a waste of time…if they don’t make you any stronger then drop’em.

I’ve tried to do them with cables from a weight stack, and though they work well, a true R.H. machine will kick your ass like no other type of extension you can make up in the gym. Either way, no lack of machinery will ever retard desire. Good luck on what you are doing.

Yeah, its really annoying not having a reverse hyperextension in my gym. I tend to high reps with no weight but would love to do them loaded. Its the same with glute ham raise bench. Ive started doing natural glute ham raises and they are a killer and dont need any extra weight at the moment. I also do romanian deads, box squats, good mornings for hip extensor function and leg curls and natural glute ham raises for knee flexor work. Anyone else got any good ideas for substituting reverse hypers?

There are alot of PC exercises but the best two other than the reverse hyper and GHR are Dimel deadlifts and pull throughs.

I should mention nothing can fully replace the RH or GHR though.

Another exercise I like to use is a back extension on a roman chair or 45 degree bench. You can hold weight whilst doing these and also one legged style. If you bend your knees a little and really concentrate on driving through the balls of your feet you can get some good hamstring activation.