Reverse Hyper Alternative

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1123088889212.ReverseHyper.JPG

i think i love working out maybe too much because i thought of this in a dream.

you will need those straps for the ankles with drings. you will also need an adjustable pulley weight stack.

im sure its been done before but since i have not come across it, i would like to put it mainstream for those who have the equipment available.

this exercise does look a little weird though, expect some weird looks… but most T-people should be used to that with the one arm barbell snatches, jumpsquats, zercher squats, etc. just another day in the life of a T-person.

enjoy the pic. a camera would have been a lot cooler.

You can do the same thing with one leg while standing up - makes the execution a bit easier. Brad Cardoza has a vid of it on his site if you want to see it for yourself.

BTW, it is awesome that you dreamed it up, literally!

Nice.

I usually dream of things that get me trouble.

That all depends. Was the person in the dream doing the exercise a guy or a girl?

It seems to me that any substantial amount of weight would pull your hips up off the bench. Maybe it would work if you strapped yourself to the bench, but thats just asking for trouble. Cool dream though.

[quote]Bob423 wrote:
You can do the same thing with one leg while standing up - makes the execution a bit easier. Brad Cardoza has a vid of it on his site if you want to see it for yourself. [/quote]

lloks badass, can’t wait to try it

thanks for the input.

i have tried the one legged version while standing and i think this beats it by a mile. if you put enough weight on there, the force of friction is not enough to keep your other foot from sliding forward, at least the way i did it. and i also found this one to be a lot more comfortable to do, as well as get in and out of. to get in i hooked the carabiners to the end cable loop. then to get out i made sure the straps were on the outside and just pulled them off all quick release like, and then took them off and put them back around the ankles.

yea the dream was weird… just as i was waking up, i was in the gym and saw myself doing the movement. its not gay if it was me right? not that there is anything wrong with that…

-viz

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
It seems to me that any substantial amount of weight would pull your hips up off the bench. Maybe it would work if you strapped yourself to the bench, but thats just asking for trouble. Cool dream though.[/quote]

Couldn’t that be avoided by staying tight in the lower back?

[quote]DON D1ESEL wrote:

Couldn’t that be avoided by staying tight in the lower back?[/quote]

Possible, but I think doubtful. Give it a shot and let us know.

When doing real reverse hypers your lower back rounds so your hips should come off the bench in this variation. The variation with one foot on the ground prevents your spine from flexing so I don’t think you could count them as an exercise similar to reverse hypers.

Also, when doing real reverse hypers theres a swing to the weight which you’re suppose to control but it allows you to use more weight. In the lowering portion you’re fighting the swing so it’s a little built in extra eccentric stress.