Reverse Hyper alternative

Well I don’t know any gyms round my way that have a reverse hyper. So I built my own. This is the prototype. Need to upholster the top, put on some handles and get a decent strap, but never felt anything hit my hamstrings like this. And my lower back felt great after squats.

Previewed but didn’t reattach

Damn hope it comes out this time!

Slight thread hi-jacking, but is there any significant difference between the three Rev-Hypers? I am going to purchase one slightly and I want to know if the standard is just as good as the Pro.

Creed, nice job man!

Rick I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I dont think that rigging something up with benches and bands and what not is worth the time. There are other things more effective and its not gonna be even close to a reverse hyper. I dont have a reverse hyper or glute ham raise at my gym so I improvise every day. dont tell me about improvising. Im the king of rigging shit up. Now if you were to build a machine that was similar to a real reverse hyper then you might have something. but taking a bench and doing it with a band and a chin dip belt or whatever is a waste of time.

Goldberg,
I actually tend to agree with you, about stacking benches on dip bars and such, not being the same as a real RH. After using a RH I tried to simulate it with benches on top of pulling boxes, the Swiss Ball and so on. That’s why I plan on building a real one.

creed, you are the man my fried, mcgyver would be oh so proud

Due to the positive response my deluxe line is now available. Get your ‘Proline Inverse Hyper Extension TM’ now for only $1250 + shipping (power rack not included)
*free ab-wheel for the first hundred customers
Cash or personal cheques only.

I was just looking in the FAQ section on EliteFTS and they said that you could use a movement similar to the reverse hyper on a high table or box. This was dated 3-10-03, and I know that Westside’s recommendations change, as they evolve. Is this one of those cases? I know many guys here have spoken to the guys at Westside directly, and I was curious if their thoughts had changed, or if your opinions were solely based on your own empirical observations.

Pat and I worked out at the Portland State weight room yesterday. They have a glute-ham bench.

The only thing it is used for is sit-ups and hyper-extensions.

Sad, sad, sad.

I won’t even talk about the lifting deck, bumper plates, and fat bar.

MOve your dip stand as close as possible to a low pulley lat machine. Attach a circular leather strap to the low pulley, hook your ankles in the strap, lay down on the bench and reverse hyper away!

Derek- Thats what I do, but instead of a dipstand, I use a powerrack that has a low cable pulley.

The fact is, they reverse hyper machine is very very hard to duplicate. I made one myself that mimicks a real machine very very closely, but I did it after study photos of real ones for hours to get the proper relationships for the length of the pivot arm, relative position of the pivot to the edge of the table, height of the table, etc…

All these things need to be correct or what you end up with is subpar. The reason is, where your hips are in relation to that pivot point is totally critical to the machine doing what it is supposed to do for you.

In the end, I ended up with the real deal and a call from Louie himself(thanks Louie!).

Anyhow, for the reasons listed abover, there simply is no substitute for a machine from Louie.

seanc
I have no idea what a real reverse hyper feels like, cause I’ve never used one. But i did muck around with mine for some time to get the pivot arm right and moved the pivot point around (by changing the relative height of the table to pivot and where the edge of the table was) until I got that right too. Of course this is all what feels right to me. (Of course this may change when i upholster it with 2" high density foam this weekend). And I added some PTFE bushing to the pivot point so it glides almost as smooth as a needle bearing now.

Does anyone have any idea how effective it would be to do them on a high platform with free weights attached to your ankles. I figured out a way to attach at least 150lbs to my ankles if I had to, just to start out with. I’ve never done them before and want to start but I also don’t have access to the real machine.