Reverse Grip Close Grip Bench

Whilst I’m not a bodybuilder I thought this might be the best place to post my question.

I’m trying to find a good exercise to target my triceps, when I use standing triceps extensions my triceps ache the next day letting me know that the exercise is indeed working the intended muscle more so than any other triceps exercise.

My problem is that I suffer with tennis elbow in my left arm due to using that exercise even though the bar I use allows me to use a neutral grip so I’m looking for a good alternative as I had to have 7 months off training last time due to the pain.
My main goal is to build strength in my triceps to help build my bench press although obviously I wouldn’t mind if my triceps got bigger in the process, I already perform close grip bench press but don’t get the muscle ache that I do from using extensions which makes it hard for me to know if I’m benefitting from the exercise or not.

One alternative I’ve thought about using is perhaps a reverse grip close grip bench press has anyone tried these and if so would you recommend them ?

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Whilst I’m not a bodybuilder I thought this might be the best place to post my question.

I’m trying to find a good exercise to target my triceps, when I use standing triceps extensions my triceps ache the next day letting me know that the exercise is indeed working the intended muscle more so than any other triceps exercise.

My problem is that I suffer with tennis elbow in my left arm due to using that exercise even though the bar I use allows me to use a neutral grip so I’m looking for a good alternative as I had to have 7 months off training last time due to the pain.
My main goal is to build strength in my triceps to help build my bench press although obviously I wouldn’t mind if my triceps got bigger in the process, I already perform close grip bench press but don’t get the muscle ache that I do from using extensions which makes it hard for me to know if I’m benefitting from the exercise or not.

One alternative I’ve thought about using is perhaps a reverse grip close grip bench press has anyone tried these and if so would you recommend them ?
[/quote]

I really like smith reverse bench. Incline and flat. Dips are always good too but that may give you issues

Don’t forget about more elbow friendly extensions.

V-Bar/Rope extensions on a cable
1 arm tricep extension on cable with D Handle
Hand tri’s extensions

Rolling Dumbbell Tri Extensions
Tate Presses ( elbows out tri extensions)

Neutral grip dumbbell presses, flat or especially incline hit my tris.

Old school dudes like Marvin Eder loved dips.

Just for me personally, sore elbows mean I need to upper back work. The back muscles determine where your scapula, upper arms, and elbows go when you bench press. When my elbows act up, it’s usually because my wrists and elbows aren’t lined up correctly whenbenching. Check out Heavy Triple’s log for more info.

If you know overhead triceps extensions target the tris for you better than anything else, you might try going really light on them to prefatigue them. Then do dips, close grip bench, whatever you want really. That might clear up your elbow pain. I only get elbow pain when I start progressing to heavier weight on isolation exercises.

Thanks for the replies it’s much appreciated, I tried the reverse grip close grip bench and to be honest I’m not really sure about the movement as in I didn’t get any muscle ache in my triceps the next day but that’s probably due to it being just another variation of benching as I bench regular anyway.

Whilst I know you can do rolling triceps extensions which are easier on the elbows and I’ve heard that if you allow the elbows to flare out that’s also easier on the elbows as I had to have 7 months off training due to using extensions I’m reluctant to go down that path for the time being.

The use of really light high rep extensions between sets of close grip bench might be an option once I’m feeling a bit braver though :slight_smile: