Reverse Grip Bench

anybody do these on a regular basis?
I started working out with a power lifter
2 weeks ago and man I got my ass kicked wow!!
it’s great, takes some getting used to on the form but very effective.

[quote]bullddogg wrote:
anybody do these on a regular basis?
I started working out with a power lifter
2 weeks ago and man I got my ass kicked wow!!
it’s great, takes some getting used to on the form but very effective.

[/quote]

Very effective for what?

I have yeah. Very good for your triceps if i’m right in assuming your keeping your elbows tucked in. More comfortable than traditional close grip bench press. I experienced some good size and strength gains and continue to do so. Places alot of stress on the front delts though so be sure to stretch them suckers good and hard!!!

works triceps, pecs, attacks the same muscles as a flat bench but from a different direction. Grasping the bar with a reverse grip changes the way that work is distributed during the movement. a reverse grip bench press places more tension on the triceps, and can serve to build the “belly” of the triceps muscle.

I’ve never felt comfortable with a reverse grip. However I’ve heard of doing reverse grips with a loose-to-medium bench shirt if the lifter’s elbows are banged up. It still alows a th elifter to take some weight in a shirt (though by no means maximal weights) and work his triceps in a usual shirted groove but with a lot less strain on the elbows.

one thing I need to mention is it is dangerous as the bar can roll on you, you definantly need a spotter in case this happens, it almost got me yesterday but my spotter caught it in time!!!

[quote]bullddogg wrote:
one thing I need to mention is it is dangerous as the bar can roll on you, you definantly need a spotter in case this happens, it almost got me yesterday but my spotter caught it in time!!![/quote]

I wouldn’t do it. There are lot’s of ways to train without subjecting yourself to that stuff.

Best tricep exercise there is in my opinion. I have been doing these for a while. As long as when you perform the reverse grip bench, you really tuck in your elbows and only use your triceps to move the weight. Think about not using your chest when doing them.

I have made these a staple of my triceps workout to add mass and size :slight_smile: I’ve gotten up to 225 PR for reps but even at 135 done strictly they pump the triceps… From another post on the site I recall someone saying they were safer for your shoulders (?)

• People look at me funny but whatever
  • I find it helps build wrist (tendon?) strength in holding the bar in this manner
    -You do feel it in your chest quite a bit (wide stretching sensation)
    -I feel more triceps activation when I arch the bar over my face in a natural arc as I press up through a rep

What a fucking horrible exercise…just because your humerus can drift back that far does’nt mean you should apply load to it…generally speaking, although everyone is different your humerus should be at nomore than a 15 degree angle behind your body…the amount of strain you put on your shoulder capsule is ridiulous, there are much safer alternatives, these are just as bad as bench dips.

These are great for the tris but be careful about dumping the bar in your face. If you bench with a shirt, IT’S REALLY EASY to dump the bar in your face.

** Public Service Announcement **

[quote]4est wrote:
These are great for the tris but be careful about dumping the bar in your face. If you bench with a shirt, IT’S REALLY EASY to dump the bar in your face.

** Public Service Announcement **[/quote]

Sounds like you learned this from personal experience. My face is ugly enough already no need to beat it with a metal bar.

Do you a shoulder width grip or lightly wider? Keep the elbows tight to your sides?