Reverse Band Deadlifts to Avoid Low Back Pain?

I recently have hit numbers on my deadlift that make it painful to get the weight moving without pain in the lower back, (bulging disc related), would reverse banding serve as a full time training tool, or would it be considered a crutch? also, would training from a deficit be more helpful in sucking it up and overcoming this?

Don’t train through painful ROM if your have a bulging disc. Squat University has an excellent article on bulging discs, diagnosing movement issues and how to address them.

2 Likes

Just read the article, what stood out to me is the fact that it said how common it is for a bulging disc to not be symptomatic. my back was relatively stable until my deads got over 400 lbs. so basically I wouldn’t think its necessarily a ROM issue, but a lack of stability, form ect.

Do you deadlift with a rounded back? If so, consider fixing that. If you can’t set up for conventional with a neutral spine then try sumo. A 500lb deadlift isn’t worth breaking your back.

no rounding, if anything I suspect its bracing or not enough glute drive. I was thinking the reverse banding would help make this cues more obvious, I will try that next workout. overall my back has improved with training, I just want to take the precautions before another flair up, and God forbid, sciatica.

sumo is a good tip, I wont take a crazy wide stance, but go a little wider than shoulder width and see if I can overload with less pain. Thanks!

post a video

1 Like