T Nation

Revamping My Training/My Life!

I am a 22 year old female I have been powerlifting for a year and a half with the 5 3 1 program. I have always been pretty steady with my training, but I was just training to train and didnâ??t really have any goals in mind. At this point I have goals and am ready to step up my training, and start getting the maximum benefits that I can out of my training.

I have started playing soccer with my community college and I am striving to play for a womenâ??s semi-pro league in about 2 years. I donâ??t want to be an average athlete I want to be 3 steps ahead of everyone else. I want to continue lifting and working a program geared towards soccer.  Iâ??m having a hard time decided what that program should look like. Iâ??m finding myself in a place where Iâ??m ready to change things up and dedicate to a nutrition and training program that will push me and provide elite athlete results.

As much as I want to do this I find myself unable to make decisions on what to do because I donâ??t trust myself. I need help building a nutrition and training program that will best suit my goals and get me better than average results!

I am using the 5 3 1 program with the deadlift, back squat, floor press and military press and I have 3 2 hour soccer practices each week, I also walk 30 minutes before breakfast every morning, and usually end up running a couple miles 1 day per week. I am eating about 2lbs of meat every day (mostly grass fed), veggies, eggs, low carb Metabolic Drive, peanut and almond butter, at breakfast or peri-workout I eat rice or potatoes sometimes, I take fish oil, and try to stay away from sugar at all costs.

If someone is willing to help me out with this I can get a lot more detailed. I used to use Metabolic Drive bars, Finibars, and Surge. I am looking to get back using those and Iâ??m considering HOT-ROX. I just donâ??t want to waste money, by not doing it right. I need to know how much I should be doing to make it worth using the sups.

Iâ??m going to school full time and I work part time and I spend every other second I have training, or foam rolling or whatever it takes. I want to train hard and do what it takes, but I need guidance!!!!

This is an awesome mindset. Remind yourself of this often, and you shouldn't run into too many major hurdles.

When you say you "just started" is that like, you've never played organized soccer before? Or is it like you have played before (throughout high school or something) and recently decided to go at it full throttle?

Just checking, because, not to be a buzzkill, but if it's the former, I'm not sure how likely it'll be to go from newbie to semi-pro in just two years. I could very well be wrong on that, though.

Cool. 5/3/1 is a very solid general template, but since you have a concrete athletic goal in mind, I think it'd be better to choose a program that's more geared specifically towards athletes. Something along the lines of Eric Cressey's Off-Season Program might work (um, ignore that whole "regular guy" part. :wink:

It's still a solid plan for increasing strength and lean muscle in an athlete. That kinda sounds like what we'd want, right? Also, female athletes need to pay extra attention to hip and knee health, and I feel that a program which includes regular single leg work (lunges, step-ups, 1-leg RDLs, etc.) plays a key role in this.

What days are these done, and what days do you lift?

Also, how far out of the season (and having regular weekly games) are you? Meaning, are you solidly in the off-season or is it more immediately pre-season?

I'm not asking to be a dick, just asking to make sure you're doing the right things for the right reasons.

Again, why? There's a good chance that the six hours of soccer practice are sufficient "cardio" for now, depending on your actual conditioning and bodyfat/"in shape-edness".

There are some 200+ pound guys on this site that don't eat that much meat daily, especially on top of eggs and other protein sources. At your current weight (140, as per your profile), you might be able to scale back on that a bit. But really, it depends on the progress you've been seeing.

If this is a typical day, you're eating pretty low carb (practically no carb). There's nothing at all wrong with having carbs during everyday as long as you do "work them off" with intense training ("earning your carbs", as the saying goes).

Check out this article, The Athlete Diet:

It's got some great general concepts about designing a "functional" and well-balanced performance nutrition plan.

HOT-ROX is a fat burner. Unless your training and diet are 100% geared towards dropping maximum fat, rather than improving athletic performance, there's no need for this right now.

Edit: Your gingerbread squatter shirt is just about as awesome as it is random. Ha.

Since my advice will pale in comparison to Colluci's I will say best of luck and take in all the information possible this glorious site has to offer!

I played soccer in junior high, and 1 year in High school. I'm playing now with school and when I transfer to WSU spokane in two years I want to try to play for a womens league while finishing school and then try semi pro, so looking more like 4 years. The team I'm playing with is very chill, and not very serious at all, but it's all I've got, there are people who offer me a chance to learn a lot of soccer skills, but conditioning and so fourth I'm on my own, so let's consider it off season. I lift Monday, tuesday, thursday, friday right now with practice on mon,wed,fri. It's a shitty schedule. I walk before breakfast because it starts my metabolism and wakes me up, gets my head sraight for the day.

The running because even though I know it isn't really helping I end up doing it, I know I shouldn't. I'm really open minded and reading to change things up and do what works, so don't think your being a dick by telling me something I'm doing is retarded. That's why I'm here. I want to change to a sport specific progam, I will look into the one you sudgested. And my diet well, it's a fucking mess, I ate the exact same way for 2 years and then I moved from california to middle of nowhere washington and i can't find the food i used to eat and i'm just kinda a mess with that. Looking for a new approach there too. HOT-ROX because i'm a girl, and used to be married to a man who was obsessed with lifting and figure and I freak out about having fat on my body, turns out his obssession has been passed on to me and I'm working on getting over that, once again....I'm here for help.

How are you not fatigued at practice? A 2 hour soccer practice will, conservatively, need about 1000 calories for a person of your size. Most of those calories SHOULD come from carbs. This will also save you money as carbs are WAY cheaper than protein in general.

Ditch the morning walks. Sleep more - it'll be better for your recovery.

The best way to judge your progress is to note down the way you feel. Everyone is an individual - what works for some won't for others. So if you're serious, keep a journal of what you've eaten, how much you sleep and quality of sleep and how you feel (feeling at morning and at night + perceived energy level for the day + how practice/lifting feelt). When you're doing things right, you will feel it. Then you can look back on what made you feel that way. Then it's just a matter of repeating those inputs.

i have tried to pay attention to what i eat and how i feel, and i wasn't finding a good pattern. So i think i will keep a journal, that will help me keep track better. I will keep you updated.

i like you t-shirt

Check out the Powerful Women forum on this site. There are lots of ladies over there (at least one soccer player that I know of) who would be more than willing to help you out.

You're getting good advice in here from Chris but the powerful women section would be great for you IMO

It's definitely not an ideal schedule, but we have to work around the soccer practices, so it'll do. Be sure to have a workout shake before and/or during your lifting sessions to improve recovery.

Gotcha. Definitely not the worst thing in the world, getting fresh air and starting your day with a clear head. I'd just want to make sure you're having a decent breakfast afterwards.

Yeah, um, knock it off. It's one of those things where, under some circumstances, an easy run might improve recovery, but in your situation (lots of training volume and nutrition that needs tweaking) you'd be better off ditching this extra run.

Just try focusing on the foods mentioned in the Athlete Diet article and use most of those as the foundation of your next shopping list. Changes don't have to happen overnight, but eventually you do want to get into some kind of basic, well-rounded "breakfast, lunch, workout shake, dinner" type of routine. It doesn't have to get super-complicated.

Again, I get ya, but just trust that a hard training athlete (especially a soccer player) who's eating the right foods to fuel her workouts and practices will rarely need a dedicated fat loss phase. Focus on getting those basic pieces in line, and you'll get closer to the Brandi Chastain abs. :wink:

Also, like Greg said, you might want to have this thread moved into the Powerful Women forum because there are some gals with more direct experience there. Either way though, I'll keep chiming in my two cents.