T Nation

Returning To Training After Layoff

Abit of background. I have been training for the last 4 years pretty much non-stop until I had to stop training because I went into the army. I always had a proper nutrition plan and training plan, always counted calories and I suppose I progressed well throughout the whole period..

Anyway I stopped training and basically the last 4 months I haven't been able to train regulary. I trained for 8 weeks 2 times a week on the weekends and managed to get my strength levels back but not the musclemass.

Then I had to take another break for 3 weeks. However now that I finished my army traningI should be able to get back to the gym and train, hopefully 4 times a week.

Now the question is, how should I start out? I was considering to do Full body training for several weeks to get back in shape and then start some sort of westside routine or perhaps one of the popular routines on this site. Before I stopped training I used to train very frequently with a periodization type of split with a rather high volume.

Thanks in advance.
If you can suggest a specific routine/article on this site please do. Any help will be appriciated!

PS: I am a regular reader of this site I just rarely post on the forums.

Don't really think you could go wrong with TBT from Chad Waterbury

Do you think that full body type of training is a good idea for someone returning to training after a layoff?

It's probably the best. And not only for the first couple of weeks.

I don't think you'd have many problems, you were only gone 4 months and not exactly sitting on your ass all that time.

You could probably pick any routine just cut back on the workload for the first week and see how you go. So instead of doing 4 sets, do 2 sets (as an example) just for 1-2 weeks and see what happens.

You might find you get back to full strength really quickly.

What you do not want to do is launch yourself into something at full workload, and do fine, for a week or two, then after a few weeks realise you are really overloading without realising it, and burn out.

After a break, sometimes you come back and you have tonnes of energy and go overboard, even if your poundages are not as high.

At least, this is my experience.

Thanks for the replies guys. And you are right there about overmotivation! Better start out slowly and catch up the workload gradually.