Returning to Iron

Congrats on the wins E! Good show!

Nice work all around E

Got my lifts in Saturday. I’ve lost about a week’s worth of progress from the lifting I missed, not as bad as I’d feared. Feeling good today.

Happy Thanksgiving, hope you and your family are doing well.

Got my lifts today. Managed not to loose too much from last time I lifted, even though I was out a week with family issues. Did burn some Adrenalin though. I hadn’t thought of running a burn while lifting. I’ll have to think about that.

I was sick on 12/12 and only finished half the lifts, but got out today and did everything. Realized I have never been this sick in my life before and was grateful. A little flu, a little cold, all on top of each other, so I’ve had a rough week, mostly needing bed rest and only able to put in about 24 hours of work.

I’m blessed. I expect more progress next week, but was glad not to lose ground.

Now, if I can just get completely healthy by Monday.

Though, since it is my birthday, and I get to do what I want for it, I went out and lifted.

Happy B-Day! Hope you feel better, getting sick sucks.

Hope all those viruses have left your system. Have a great Christmas E-man.

Have a great Christmas.

Merry Christmas, E!

Merry Christmas!

I’ve been lifting, but haphazardly. I think next week I’m going to start a new cycle at a different outlet of the City with different equipment (and with my wife).

Will see how that goes. If I can just knock all these colds out. Darn, what a season.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:
I’ve been lifting, but haphazardly. I think next week I’m going to start a new cycle at a different outlet of the City with different equipment (and with my wife).

Will see how that goes. If I can just knock all these colds out. Darn, what a season.[/quote]

A nice change of gym venue always gets the juices flowing. Working out with your wife would be great once you get the “harmony” going. I would love to do that because it means we would both be hurting, craving the same foods, etc. Hopefully you can be patient and make it work for both of you.

Y’all keep posting on your travels. We need more old dudes to shore one another up. We are breathing rare air ya know.

I have just not gotten back into lifting. From December 26 to February 16 is always a bad time for me. On the other hand, my mom has sold her house and is moving to be with my brother. She felt that she really could not stay in the house my wife and I helped her and my dad put together, now that he has died. I help her with the moving Friday and Saturday and then I’m hoping things will come together for my mind. My wife’s schedule just isn’t working out to let us lift together.

In addition, I’ve been doing sets of push-ups twice a week, and sets of pull-ups (neutral grip) twice a week.

I realized that my rotator cuffs had no pain at all, suddenly.

The first times I did push-ups I just had hate in my heart for the guy doing them as a part of the warm-ups in karate. I’ve had to drop that to deal with the special needs my daughter has, but for the time I did karate and won three tournaments, my shoulders had less and less pain with push-ups. Just realized that I haven’t had any pain for a while.

The push-ups appear to have worked.

I’m glad for the break, such as it was, now I need to get out to the new gym location, get my routine back together and start lifting again.

About a month in.

Finally not so sore I can barely walk after lifting. Different equipment (the new Cybex stuff, though I’m not using the electronic book keeping that they have set up to go with it that times your lifts for you, etc.).

Hits some muscles differently, some changes.

Also doing sets of push-ups twice a week and some short sets of chin-ups (neutral grip) twice a week. I’m now elevating my feet on the couch/love-seat and using a set of push-up grip things for the push-ups. I’m surprised how much I like them.

More later, been terribly busy.

Glad you’re still at it. Push ups can become addictive.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Glad you’re still at it. Push ups can become addictive. [/quote]

I’ve been surprised. I was never into push-ups. I knocked off 75 once (in 10th grade we had a how many can you do in sixty seconds) and did some one hand push-ups once, but the rotator cuff issues left me really weak there.

I’m amazed at the progress I’m making. On vacation I got my standard push-up set up to 45 a set. Now I’ve switched to elevating my feet and such and I’m at 22-23 a set (I try to get four sets in a day for the two days a week I do them).

http://www.planotx.org/Departments/parksandrecreation/recenters/Pages/muehlenbeck_center.aspx

City recreation center, switched centers because of moving. Different equipment.

There is one closer, but I don’t really like it. This one has open swim at the same time I want to lift so I can have my kid swimming and I can lift (rather than letting her veg out – and she loves swimming).

This one, instead of having a sixteen year age minimum, has specialty equipment for younger kids. “Youth-sized weight resistance equipment is available for ages 10 and older with adult supervision” My kid has been wanting to try some lifting.

Interesting leg press – you move, rather than your feet pushing something. Kind of like a sitting hip squat.

Cybex makes too much stuff, and too many different things, haven’t found it yet on line or I’d have a link.

Anyway, it is good to be back.

I need to really make a return. The confluence of competing time sinks, a lack of application (without the martial arts competitions, where does strength fit in my life?) and the distance to a place to work out since the move all fit together in a bad way.

Well, I restarted and am about a month in. I’ll post a log, all my lifting has lost a lot of ground.

I had two things happen. First, I was pain free, no more muscle knots in my shoulder. Second, with my daughter’s Tourette’s and her needs, I ended up dropping out of karate last year – she would cry when I left to work out, even when I was going only twice a week. She is really bright, but the neuro disorder plays havoc with her social life. As a ten year old, that is an issue.

So, without a strength application, and without the pain palliative care, and the gym so far away (relatively speaking) from our new house, I started to let things slide.

So, I’m kissing two hundred pounds, my shoulder is starting to give me a lot of pain and I realize I need to do something.

I’ve got about a month in, shoulder is worlds better, daughter doing better too. I’ve lost about six pounds of fat (well, about six pounds, I don’t think I’ve gained any real muscle yet). Walked over thirty miles last week with my wife, twenty this week already, and a fair amount the week before last.

Added a leg press

355/9 (a Cybex V13).
Adductor 155/14 (down from 350)
Abductor 155/10 (down from 350 lbs also)

I was asked why the focus on those two exercises and kind of faded the answer. The truth is that I used techniques like hip check Osoto Gari, except more of a thigh check version. The strength really made a difference. At my height I could clash and then throw with that technique where most people would just get separated by the refs.

Row 175/8 (down from 232)

Pull Down 150/8
Rope Curl 150/8 (down from 177.5)
Rotary (the rotator cuff rehab motions) x4way 35/12 on the cable machine (down from 60)
Shoulder Fly 40/12 (down from 75lb on the cable machine)
Rotary Torso 115/8 (down from about 300 last time I was doing it).
Back machine 195/12
Face Pull
Cable Row 150/10 (down from 185)

The lay off hurt, obviously, but I’m glad I’m back. The cable row was enough weight to make the muscle knots all pop. You could hear my shoulder for some distance. But afterwards, the knots were gone. Sore the next day, but much, much better.

Push-ups I’m up to three sets of 21 a day, three days a week. Adding a rep every day. Should be back to 40 or 50 before long.

Neutral grip pull-ups. I’m doing them three times a week, at least two sets a day, but I’m doing them from standing, not from hanging. I need to lose weight or get stronger.

Guess that health alone might be enough to keep me motivated :wink:

welcome back. since you’re an old-timer, I can’t threaten to kill and eat you for not adopting our 5/3/1 religion.

However.

I do recommend it very highly. Its great to see you back. Try to not to focus too much on the strength you have lost. It has been my experience after many layoffs myself, that it is only a matter of time before your lifts come back. Also, if you haven’t already, check the sticky mobility thread for all kinds of great shoulder rehab/prehab.

do you still have time to play Judo?

Also, I know its not the same, but one of Dave Tate’s kids is autistic, and the doc recommended taking him to they gym and let him push on stuff, nothing too structured. I wonder pushing some stuff around like that might help your little girl? just thinking out loud…

great to see and hear you again
old lardass