T Nation

Returning to Iron

Missed my lifts. I’ll catch them Monday. Took first in sparring and kata for my age/skill division. A satisfying day, but enough CNS load I couldn’t lift. Won the gold in overtime.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:
Missed my lifts. I’ll catch them Monday. Took first in sparring and kata for my age/skill division. A satisfying day, but enough CNS load I couldn’t lift. Won the gold in overtime.[/quote]

Hey Congrats E! Did they break the comp out by belt and weight divisions or just beginner/intermediate/Advanced? What Kyu have you achieved now?

In Wado I’m just 7th kyu, I’ve a long way to go to get back to 1st kyu.

No weight classes, just below brown belt, brown belt, black belt. I was in the below brown belt group (no brown belts showed up in the 35 and over). The AAU state championship was more fun, since they merged the beginner and intermediate categories together and it basically was a brown belt division that I won.

Funny, I’ve competed in a lot of tournaments in my life, but only two where I entered anything less than the brown belt division and only one so far where I’ve actually fought matches below the brown belt division. I didn’t start competition until I was graduated from law school …

On the other hand, I’ve been out of it a long time. It is fun to have it start coming together again.

I may start competing against the 18-34 age group. I may be 53, but they are usually a bigger crowd and the competition looks like more fun. Now that I’m getting endurance back.

Congrats on the win.

Nice work E! Competing against the sub-35 year olds will keep you young (or it’ll kill you). I wouldn’t want to get you angry. You’d kick my ass.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Nice work E! Competing against the sub-35 year olds will keep you young (or it’ll kill you). I wouldn’t want to get you angry. You’d kick my ass.[/quote]

Unlike most of them, I know how to trigger an adrenalin burn. Back when I wrestled it would boost my peak strength to the point where I could clean and jerk other guys off the floor by their biceps when tying up with them.

I’ve been working a little on my conditioning, which is slowly getting better, since I can only do 2-3 matches and a round of kata like that before I collapse.

But, you are right that competing against younger opponents is good for me.

Damn fine work E, now start whooping on the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/v/afLicUihE9I&hl=en&fs=1&

Lets see if that worked. I’ve got a clip from me at the tournament.

I’m very pleased with that particular sequence.

Neat video clip! good work.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:

I’m very pleased with that particular sequence.[/quote]

Nice! did you get that point?

[quote]soldog wrote:
Elaikases wrote:

I’m very pleased with that particular sequence.

Nice! did you get that point?[/quote]

Alas, not from all the judges, but I was still pleased with it.

The problem is that if you missed the angle on it, or weren’t prepared to see it, the throw is easy to miss.

It is part of the sequence I posted at http://adrr.com/bengoshi/judo3.htm – which dates to more than twenty years ago.

Still, it made me happy to have executed it so cleanly.

Otherwise, I saw a lot of technique I need to improve. I’m glad I got the video I did, I’ve got things to work on, learned a lot from seeing it. I’ve gotten old and out of shape :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

Great counter. Glad to see you’re out there competing.

10/24/2009, time for a retrospective, new cycle:

Change from 5/24/2009

Hip Adduction (opening) 350/17 – finally back up to where I was. Any layoff really hurts these numbers.
Hip Abduction (squeezing) 250/16 – up six repetitions. In March I had plateaued and was having trouble moving forward. Losing ground and then building up broke through that.

Shoulder Cable Fly (rotator cuff rehab exercise, one armed, done both sides).
72.5/12 up ten pounds. I lost some in the lay off, but have gotten it back and more. I’m at my PR

Dip Machine. 230/8. Down ten pounds, but better form.

Seated Row. 230/9. Down five pounds, better form.

Body Weight Dip. 11. Same. This fluctuates depending on how the dip machine series went. Just hitting the same muscles again, a little different speed and angles.

Cable Curl. 172.5/9 Up twenty pounds. That is some real progress.

Face Pull Cable Row. 182.5/9. Up 2.5 lbs. Of course it was down to 160 after the layoff and then back up again.

Rotary (the other rehab exercise) 67.5/12 each direction, each arm. Up ten pounds. The rotator cuffs are doing better.

Abdominal board. 50/8 – up five pounds, though I miss it sometimes when the CNS fatigue is strong.

Otherwise, Wado Ryu karate is going well. Flexibility improvements are slow. I need more work-outs and more time in the morning stretching and doing kata. I know, it was a twelve year layoff and now I’ve changed styles, but I want to get better now. I’ll get there a day at a time.

Good day, all in all. Now, off to do some bodyweight squats (I’m doing them for mobility improvement a set of 20 and another set of 30 in a good day).

Great work! mixin it up with the kids will keep you young forever.

Suziki cup tournament this coming November 7. Already paid my registration fees.

Any Wado Ryu karateka interested in training with Suzuki or the seminars, or the tournament:

http://www.wikf.com/Suzuki%20Cup%202009.htm

Grats looking Bad Ass!

Speaking of functional training, the item of furniture at this link is 77" long. I got it out of the truck by myself and into the house without damaging it. I could not have done that without the lifting.

Yeah, a different way to spend a vacation, but worthwhile.

Hey nice work in that tourney…

I like those wheels!!!

Well, getting ready for the tournament derailed this weeks lifting, but … I won my division in kata and kumite.

I’ll be moving up a division, next tournament.

Fought the same guy for first place as the last tournament. He was significantly better, he has had several months of kick boxing to go with his karate. I won 3-1 and no overtime match this time, I was doing a bit better as well.

Dang, though, the real significant things were:

(a) I watched video and saw how sloppy a lot of my technique was, and tightened it up
(b) I had a coach in the corner who made all the difference.

By nature I’m a counterfighter, I even tend to attack like a counterfighter. Every time I started to get narrowed in, he would give me clear, direct instructions and break me out of it (and I’d score again). He was the same guy I had coaching in my corner for the AAU state championship when I beat that seven foot brown belt.

Other note, I deleted the weight lifting videos I had on youtube, since the technique was bad … I now lift the way Capacity told me to.

However, I ran into people at the tournament who had watched those and wanted to let me know. That was strange, made me glad I deleted them – and that I’m lifting better now.

Good day, especially since I was in meetings at 7:00 a.m., had a campout in the back yard in a tent with my daughter last night, and had to run errands this morning.

Back to lifting next week.