T Nation

Return to PL After 6wks, -15 Pounds

Let me preface this by saying that I don’t really have a question, per say, or even any advice. I doubt that you will get anything out of reading this. I’m just kind of posting this to help myself process it.

In early March I decided that I wanted to train for triathlons again (something I’d given up a year ago before I started powerlifting). I quit lifting completely, except for some very light assistance movements once per week, and started swimming, biking, and running 2-4 hours a day. I also cut way back on carbs to drop weight (which worked, getting me down from 165 to 150).
A few days ago as I was heading to the pool I asked myself what the hell I was trying to prove by going back to triathlons. I didn’t want to give up powerlifting or martial arts, the sports I’d taken up during my year off. So I decided that I’d just try to balance all three, by golly.

The plan is to lift 4x/week, swim 2x, bike 2x, run 2x, and go to judo or jiu jitsu 2-3x/week. The biggest adjustment will be to the volume of the triathlon stuff- I’m not going to try and mix powerlifting with 4 hour bike rides and 15 mile runs. Instead I’ll probably just stick with shorter, intense interval stuff that can be finished in less than an hour.

I understand that I’m not going to achieve maximal performance in any of these sports by trying to train in all three, and that what I’m describing sounds dangerously similar to the lifting antichrist (i.e., Crossfit), but f**k it, I just want to be able to enjoy powerlifting, martial arts, and triathlons at the same damn time.
And that’s about it.

Thats good man. With strength and conditioning, sometimes we get so caught up in always pushing ourself that we forget that we do this stuff because we love it. If training that way will make you happy, then do it. You’re right, you may sacrifice performance a bit in each one of those categories, but as long as you constantly focus on getting better, who cares? You will improve, you will be happy, and you will probably be a kickass overall athlete. Nothing wrong with that.

How old are you?

Edit: I just read your profile. You are 19. I did something similar when I was 19 except with the addition of a couple more sports I was interested in. It was a good learning experience, LOL. When do you study for classes?

[quote]smallmike wrote:
How old are you?

Edit: I just read your profile. You are 19. I did something similar when I was 19 except with the addition of a couple more sports I was interested in. It was a good learning experience, LOL. When do you study for classes?[/quote]

I just make sure I pay attention in lecture. Its amazing how much you can absorb when you decide to actually focus on what the teacher’s saying and take good notes. I only probably spend 1-2 hours a day studying outside class, unless I have to write a paper or something.
College life is good.