Return to Lifting Post-Vasectomy

Got snipped today. Advice seems to vary, mostly on the conservative side (as much traditional medical care seems to do) of avoiding pretty much all strenuous exercise, though exactly why seems unclear. Some comments seem more concerned about the possibility of direct trauma to the wound area - I definitely get why I might not want to go for a long run, with all the bouncing and chafing, or go play hockey tomorrow - while other comments seem more related to the possibility of “pressure” and resultant bleeding or hematoma if you engage in strenuoius activity like heavy lifting.

It seems far fetched that doing things like some light upper body work in the first few days would really be that high-risk, though I do understand why I may not want to do heavy box squats or deadlifts for a little while yet. I was planning to do some light upper body stuff with dumbbells for a week or so, but maybe I’ll hold off for two weeks before really going back to heavy barbells. If I regularly deadlift 400+ pounds, I should be on reasonably safe ground curling a few 20-pound dumbbells, right?

Anyways, curious what anyone else did and how it went for them if they’ve gotten snipped.

1 Like

As long as they aren’t Ballsack Curls, I dont think this would be an issue.

Play it safe would be a smart call too; you’re not losing any progress in the next 2 weeks, and with light dumbbells only, i imagine very little (if any) progress would be made. Bad risk:reward investment IMO.

No one knows how your balls feel like you do, I think you could trust your gut either way and come out on the better side of this.

DISCLAIMER:
Not snipped

1 Like

Lol, I agree, it’s not really about expecting ‘progress’ to be gained or lost in the next 2 weeks. I’m a regular-joe garage gym lifter, not a competitor. It’s actually about my mental health as much as anything - I have some personal satisfaction in doing something active or a ‘workout’ every day, which is kind of a silly vanity goal but is just how I feel. I’ll feel better, mentally, if I do my silly litle 15-minute round-robin of a couple curls, presses, and raises, which really doesn’t put enough stress or strain on anything that I can imagine it being an issue…I’m happy to take a few weeks off deadlifts and squats to allow full recovery.

2 Likes

I just remember being a little achy for like two days maybe. I can’t really think of any kind of hernia risk or anything you’d be taking. Plus, curls are always the medicine, never the poison - curl away!

1 Like

Yeah - I am really not in any pain moment to moment. Yesterday it was kinda like I got kicked in the balls but milder; today even less than that. I’ve been dutifully icing on and off as directed to keep swelling down, but haven’t needed any pain meds. It’s not that I feel I can’t do more, but the doc’s instructions are all so grave (“don’t lift more than 15 pounds for at least a week!”) that I wondered if that’s just an over-over-abundance of caution or if there’s a real risk from doing (low impact!) activity in the day or two afterwards. I did a little light kettlebell pressing workout today and feel totally fine; I just don’t want to get some dumb bleeding or complication because I was too impatient. I’ll stay away from barbells or anything I’d have to grind for a week or two just to be safe.

1 Like

Achy for a day or two and then got back to it. I just wore tight undies or compression shorts to stop them bouncing about.

2 Likes

My woman brought this idea up last week. Would you guys recommend this procedure? Any regrets?

1 Like

Have 4 kids, got snipped after the 4th one, my procedure was unusually painful for some reason but life was totally normal within a couple days. Just take a deload week, do everything you normally do but lighter and less volume, and the following week you’re 100%.
I don’t actually remember if thats what i did. I probably took 2 weeks very light. Its really not a big deal.

2 Likes

I have three kids and 100% didn’t want to have any more. Other than a bit of soreness for a few days there has been no other impact. Not sure recommend is the right phrase but I deff do not regret having it done.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about getting this done recently but just can’t face the idea of going back into a hospital to have someone cut me again. I need to get it done though as 2 kids is enough for me.

On the lifting front my mate squatted the evening of the day he had it done and really regretted it. I’d just rest for 2 days.

I ended up just doing some easy kettlebell workouts for the first few days (no heavy squats or deadlifts for a week) but was back to full activity a week or so later. It took another week or two until it felt like my scar had FULLY healed but I have no lingering issues. 10/10, would do it again