Return of the Marine - CDMac's WTF to do next log

C1/W2/D3 - Thursday 11/16/2017

Weight: 173.0

Warmup:

• Defranco’s Nimble 11
  • 100 singles jump rope
  • Hang / deep squat / hang (30-60 seconds each)
  • 100 singles jump rope
  • Band pulls, shoulder mobility to loosen up/strengthen my right shoulder
  • 3x10 20# bent over med ball slam to floor w/ chest pass explosion

Bench Press:
140x3
160x3
180x10

Superset assistance lifts
DB Bench 5x15 @40
DB Rows 5x10 @60

Notes:

• Decided to forego high-rep rows until I get my working weights up some and can then benefit from the Krocs
  • DB Bench - Body not used to doing higher rep schemes (beyond 6-8) so keeping weight light until I start feeling endurance come up
  • Was worried because R shoulder was very sore/stiff this am but good mobility work helped and felt strong on 3+ PR set
3 Likes

C1/W1/D4 - Friday 11/17/2017

Weight: 172.6

Warmup:

• Defranco’s Nimble 11
  • Hang / deep squat / hang (30-60 seconds each)
  • Band pulls / shoulder mobility
  • 3x5 box jumps

Squat:
185x3
210x3
235x15

Superset assistance lifts
Leg Curl on Star Trac machine 3x15 @50 / 2X15 @20 single leg
Leg Press 5x10 @270

NOTES:

• last 2 sets on leg curls went single leg @20 because I noticed my L hammy/glute working harder than R
  • noticed that R ankle has less flexibility than L so heel wanting to come off platform at bottom of leg press
  • Will need to add in some ankle mobility work over the course of the week
2 Likes

Hey man, pretty random question but has anyone ever told you that you look like john cena?

No, not recently but I used to get that once and a while a few years ago before I stopped hitting the gym regularly. My son’s friends have said that a few times.

I’ll take that as a compliment (even if it wasn’t) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think I am going to post some more pics here in a few once my breakfast digests some and before lunch.

I was just reading your story about the bullying and you about to pound that dude.

1 Like

Cool man go right ahead with the pics! Its a good way to get constructive criticism and see how much you really look like john cena. :wink::wink:I bet if i looked like john cena there would be no bullies lol…

2 Likes

Man, from what I can see, you’ve got a great work ethic and you’re going to be a beast.

It doesn’t happen overnight but use the gym as your sanctuary when you need it to be.

Get your satisfaction and self esteem from knowing YOU are in control of your own destiny and that you are taking the steps to long term health/strength.

It won’t hurt that you’ll soon find that your bullies turn to haters because they’re jealous of what you have achieved. God speed brother; we’re all in your corner!

2 Likes

Thankyou! I really appreciate that my friend.

1 Like

PHOTOS

I was originally not going to show pics until down the road when we needed to submit for the T-ransformation2018 challenge but I figured it would help give context to where I am right now.

This first set of pics is what I looked like prior to 5 weeks on the Velocity Diet

This is after the 5 weeks
VelocityDiet_AfterWeek5

This is today, 2 weeks into my 5/3/1 Triumvirate program, relaxed

This is today trying to slightly flex but without mirror to see what I’m doing

This is today for the brosef pic with good overhead bathroom lighting and ability to exhale and flex

So, I’ve got a ton of work to do to put on the kind of size/mass I want to have but at least I got rid of some of the excess weight and going through the V-Diet for 5 weeks really showed me what I could accomplish in that timeframe.

8 Likes

Also, I have no idea what I’m doing for posing so I may have to read up on some logs to get tips for that.

Nice work with that diet! Big changes. That ink is rad my man :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks man! Yeah I have other tattoos I’ve collected over the years but the sleeve is new (started it in March, finished in June).

The mermaid back piece was already there but the sleeve is new.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve been wanting to add something to my inner left arm and get my chest touched up, but I keep spending that money on other stuff. Came out nice!

1 Like

Yeah time and money for the tattoo… I hear ya.

Ironically, the tattoo was the indirect catalyst for me to start eating better and cleaning up my diet (eventually getting on these boards and the Biotest board and finding the V-diet)

I had a pic of me that my tattoo artist took after a session on my sleeve and I looked at my gut and was like, oh man, I’ve got “dad bod”!!!

In all actuality, I’m a grandpa (3x over)!

Anyway, after seeing that pic I quit eating all the fast food and crap I had been eating the last 3 or so years and made it a goal to get into the best shape of my life by the time I’m 48.

1 Like

Great work so far man! Love the triumvirate template. It’s straight to the point! The diet definitely changed your look. I feel like I need to look into diet now too lol.

1 Like

Ya man, getting leaned out was priority number one even though I wanted to start training hard again. Doing the V-Diet was the best thing for me at the time and the workouts got me back into a gym routine and ramped up with lighter weights so I didn’t overdo it right out of the gate.

I’m really liking the triumvirate so far!

Plan is to run back to back 7 week protocols and in the “deload” on the final 7th week I’ll actually do a prep week of Beach Body challenge and then crank that up the following week.

You have any experience with the Beach Body Challenge?

I can’t really speak about it because I only did it for 2 weeks. It is fun though. Will get you really good at squatting and cleaning. So nothing wrong with that! I might want to do it in May just to try to lean out for the summer.

2 Likes

Definitely john cena! You’ve Got a great starting point for the Transformation 2018 challenge.

1 Like

Great work! That’s an admirable turnaround right there. Keep it up!

I glanced at this tonight for a bit of guidance.

I’m planning to be down to 215 when I start gaining again and it appears I can gain 0.5 to 1.0 lbs per month. Looks like my T-ransformation might be tough to see if I’m successful. I’m not sure if four or five pounds is going to stand out much. I might have to look further down the road to the year to year challenge.

1 Like

C1/W2/D5 - Saturday 11/18/2017

Weight: 173.0

Conditioning:

• 5 circuits of:

• Trap Bar loaded carry (60m @225)
    • Swiss ball crunches (10-12 reps)
    • Jump Rope (200 singles)
    • 90 seconds rest
  • Total Time: ~ 28:00

Notes:

• Need to increase loaded carry weight
  • Not sure I was doing swiss ball correctly - Will look at videos online to assess
2 Likes

Well, I think @Frank_C and I are going to be in the same boat. I think my before’s are going to look decent come Jan 1st and adding 3-5ish pounds of LBM may not show up as much of a “transformation” compared to someone who starts heavier and gets lean. Not that it matters, I just want to be better in June than I am now and I am really enjoying the 5/3/1 so far.

2 Likes