T Nation

Retarded EnviroNazi's Botch Eco-Terrorism

Dumbasses. “Spiking” trees has been a (dangerous) method enviros used to deter clear cuts in some forests. These idiots guaranteed a complete cut.

Vandals Destroy Forest near Backus

Someone drove six-inch nails into hundreds of trees in Minnesota destroying a forest as well as a source of revenue for schools and communities.

Investigators think the vandals might have thought they were saving the trees. But if that was the case, their plan backfired.

The lot, which was planted and maintained by Cass County as a source of revenue, was scheduled to be thinned out this month. The lot is thinned every ten to 15 years. About 100 of the 600 trees were slated to be cut down and sold.

The money raised would benefit the community and school district.

But, before the thinning process could begin workers found pole barn nails pounded into more than 500 of the trees.

One tree bore a sign on which someone wrote “two in every tree” and drew a smiley face.

Now the entire forest must be cut down due to safety concerns.

Mike Diekmann of the Cass Co. Sheriff’s Office said, “If a saw would hit one of these nails it would explode like a gun going off.”

The trees will likely be taken down this winter and replanted this spring. But community members and loggers who rely on the resource call the loss of 600 trees a huge waste.

Last year nearly $300,000 was distributed to school districts from land like the forest and communities received $150,000.

So why don’t they just leave the trees alone then? No, that would be the vandals winning. They must be shown their actions had no effect and in fact caused the powers that be to be even more vicious to teach a lesson.

What safety concerns?

A nail in a fucking tree?

[quote]orion wrote:
What safety concerns?

A nail in a fucking tree?

[/quote]

Obviously your reading comprehension isn’t very good, because the article clearly stated the danger.

"Mike Diekmann of the Cass Co. Sheriff’s Office said, “If a saw would hit one of these nails it would explode like a gun going off.”

[quote]Sifu wrote:
orion wrote:
What safety concerns?

A nail in a fucking tree?

Obviously your reading comprehension isn’t very good, because the article clearly stated the danger.

"Mike Diekmann of the Cass Co. Sheriff’s Office said, “If a saw would hit one of these nails it would explode like a gun going off.”

[/quote]

But they did cut them down, did they not?

Plus, if I were them a simple magnetic device would tell them where the nails are, if they can find copper wires in the wall they should be able to detect a nail in a tree.

[quote]orion wrote:
Sifu wrote:
orion wrote:
What safety concerns?

A nail in a fucking tree?

Obviously your reading comprehension isn’t very good, because the article clearly stated the danger.

"Mike Diekmann of the Cass Co. Sheriff’s Office said, “If a saw would hit one of these nails it would explode like a gun going off.”

But they did cut them down, did they not?

Plus, if I were them a simple magnetic device would tell them where the nails are, if they can find copper wires in the wall they should be able to detect a nail in a tree.

[/quote]

Wrong, mainly because you don’t have all day to check trees for nails. A wall is what 7’ -10’ high? Trees are thicker and taller. It’s not practical.

[quote]orion wrote:
Plus, if I were them a simple magnetic device would tell them where the nails are, if they can find copper wires in the wall they should be able to detect a nail in a tree.

[/quote]

How has the logging industry overlooked you?!

[quote]tom63 wrote:
orion wrote:
Sifu wrote:
orion wrote:
What safety concerns?

A nail in a fucking tree?

Obviously your reading comprehension isn’t very good, because the article clearly stated the danger.

"Mike Diekmann of the Cass Co. Sheriff’s Office said, “If a saw would hit one of these nails it would explode like a gun going off.”

But they did cut them down, did they not?

Plus, if I were them a simple magnetic device would tell them where the nails are, if they can find copper wires in the wall they should be able to detect a nail in a tree.

Wrong, mainly because you don’t have all day to check trees for nails. A wall is what 7’ -10’ high? Trees are thicker and taller. It’s not practical.[/quote]

But you do not have to check the whole tree, only the part where you intend to cut?

[quote]orion wrote:
tom63 wrote:
orion wrote:
Sifu wrote:
orion wrote:
What safety concerns?

A nail in a fucking tree?

Obviously your reading comprehension isn’t very good, because the article clearly stated the danger.

"Mike Diekmann of the Cass Co. Sheriff’s Office said, “If a saw would hit one of these nails it would explode like a gun going off.”

But they did cut them down, did they not?

Plus, if I were them a simple magnetic device would tell them where the nails are, if they can find copper wires in the wall they should be able to detect a nail in a tree.

Wrong, mainly because you don’t have all day to check trees for nails. A wall is what 7’ -10’ high? Trees are thicker and taller. It’s not practical.

But you do not have to check the whole tree, only the part where you intend to cut?

[/quote]

I think you are missing the point. They can cut them down, what they can’t do is run a band saw through them to turn them into planks or whatever. The wood will be used but has lost a lot of its value. Also, they need to cut them down to clear space to plant new trees.

What a lot of so called environmentalists miss out on is the fact that growing trees as a crop is good for the environment. Young trees actually take more C02 out of the air than older trees.

Cockney- On this we can agree. Logging is renewable, sustainable, and ‘steward friendly’. The eco-terrorists miss the point and think that every tree is sacred, when, in reality, good forest management is not only beneficial to the local ecosystem, but also benefits the community and economy (eg. as stated in the article).

Maine is a forestry state and we see this kind of dickery all the time (I pulled the article from a local forestry forum).

Orion-- “Spiking” trees has resulted in many deaths. These aren’t small nails, these are big spikes spread in such numbers and in odd places on the trees that no one could ever find them all. When power equipement hits them, it creates shrapnel, more like a grenade than how the article explained it. No company will risk that and would rather leave a cut to rot than to try to process that wood.

It’s completely retarded.

Eco-Whackos Wail for fallen trees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFB7bGCAgc&feature=player_embedded

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Cockney- On this we can agree. Logging is renewable, sustainable, and ‘steward friendly’. The eco-terrorists miss the point and think that every tree is sacred, when, in reality, good forest management is not only beneficial to the local ecosystem, but also benefits the community and economy (eg. as stated in the article).

Maine is a forestry state and we see this kind of dickery all the time (I pulled the article from a local forestry forum).

Orion-- “Spiking” trees has resulted in many deaths. These aren’t small nails, these are big spikes spread in such numbers and in odd places on the trees that no one could ever find them all. When power equipement hits them, it creates shrapnel, more like a grenade than how the article explained it. No company will risk that and would rather leave a cut to rot than to try to process that wood.

It’s completely retarded.[/quote]

Basically like hiding mines that are triggered by chainsaws?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Cockney- On this we can agree. Logging is renewable, sustainable, and ‘steward friendly’. The eco-terrorists miss the point and think that every tree is sacred, when, in reality, good forest management is not only beneficial to the local ecosystem, but also benefits the community and economy (eg. as stated in the article).

Maine is a forestry state and we see this kind of dickery all the time (I pulled the article from a local forestry forum).

Orion-- “Spiking” trees has resulted in many deaths. These aren’t small nails, these are big spikes spread in such numbers and in odd places on the trees that no one could ever find them all. When power equipement hits them, it creates shrapnel, more like a grenade than how the article explained it. No company will risk that and would rather leave a cut to rot than to try to process that wood.

It’s completely retarded.[/quote]

The negative to logging is when you take an area that has a wide range of flora and fauna and replace it with a gigantic mono-culture. Modern logging however has in most areas moved on from this.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Eco-Whackos Wail for fallen trees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFB7bGCAgc&feature=player_embedded

[/quote]

That video made me want to punch something.

[quote]JLu wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Eco-Whackos Wail for fallen trees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFB7bGCAgc&feature=player_embedded

That video made me want to punch something.[/quote]

Like a tree?

I don’t think every cutting action made on the forest is thinning 100/600 for the community

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Eco-Whackos Wail for fallen trees:

I was in stitches watching that. Thanks for posting it.

Makes me realize that relatively speaking, some of the people I disagree with on PWI aren’t that crazy.

[/quote]

Adds some perspective, don’t it? :wink:

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
<<< I think you are missing the point. They can cut them down, what they can’t do is run a band saw through them to turn them into planks or whatever. The wood will be used but has lost a lot of its value. Also, they need to cut them down to clear space to plant new trees.

What a lot of so called environmentalists miss out on is the fact that growing trees as a crop is good for the environment. Young trees actually take more C02 out of the air than older trees.[/quote]

My respectometer for you was just raised a notch (but only one).

Definitely WACKO