Retail vs E-tail Spending

This year we out spent retail 10 to 1 . I have read several articles saying Retail had a dismal year even though they fucked over their employees . Just curious were other households like mine

My mother got almost all her gifts online. I guess as this continues, fewer people will be needed on sales floors. That’ll of course lead to lay offs and pay cuts and there will be some people hurtin’ 'cause of it.

I would say most of my family’s holiday spending’s were not online this year.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
My mother got almost all her gifts online. I guess as this continues, fewer people will be needed on sales floors. That’ll of course lead to lay offs and pay cuts and there will be some people hurtin’ 'cause of it. [/quote]

In which case their prices will go down or qualty of service goes up.

Or, Obama will “save” them, which means prices will go up and quality of services will go down, and union thugs will skim a bunch off the top.

I personally think the majority of stores could go way of the buggy whip . If you need a product now you could pay a premium and get it now . Other wise you could use brick and mortar stores for sizing and the advantage of now .

Most retail jobs suck . Fed Ex , trucking and DC jobs are better IMO :slight_smile:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
My mother got almost all her gifts online. I guess as this continues, fewer people will be needed on sales floors. That’ll of course lead to lay offs and pay cuts and there will be some people hurtin’ 'cause of it. [/quote]

Naw…the government will just hire them. Does anyone know how many in our work force work for the Federal, State, County or City government?

My guess is about 50%.

I just lost an employee to a state job. It’s difficult for private enterprise to compete with what the government can pay them including benefits and retirement.

I wonder what happens when the various government agencies deplete business to the point where we can no longer afford all these needless government employees?

What a freaking mess they are creating. Obama is certainly getting his wish…fundamental transformation!

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

Most retail jobs suck .[/quote]

Have you ever read a balance sheet and income statement in your entire life? Go check out what JC Penny, Sears and others bring to the bottom line.

Keep raising taxes on business and those retail jobs will suck even more.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

Most retail jobs suck .[/quote]

Have you ever read a balance sheet and income statement in your entire life? Go check out what JC Penny, Sears and others bring to the bottom line.

Keep raising taxes on business and those retail jobs will suck even more.
[/quote]

Yes I have read a balance sheet and an income statement.

I do not raise any one’s taxes

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Naw…the government will just hire them. Does anyone know how many in our work force work for the Federal, State, County or City government?[/quote]

About 4% last I heard.

90% or more of all retail stores fail to deliver a compelling reason to buy there versus online.
I can go to Best Buy and get it NOW at a 50% (or more) mark up, or use my Amazon Prime membership and have it in 2 days and save a ton. I pay sales tax either way now, so that doesn’t even enter the equation now.

What do I get at BB? Hard sales for crap I don’t want, higher prices, salespeople that know jack shit 9 times out of 10…unless it is a dire emergency why would I buy there? I would be willing to pay a slight premium for instant gratification, and a slight premium for sales staff that know WTF they’re doing when it comes to electronics, firearms, workout equipment etc. But most stores don’t deliver that at all. And even if they do, I’d pay maybe at most 10-15% more than I would online, because that’s how much I value those things. Yet these stores frequently charge absurd prices–20 dollar USB cables and 70 dollar HDMI cables, Blu-Ray movies for 30% more than I can buy them online, etc.

Clothing retailers have an edge–most people, me included, like to try stuff on before buying it. Food of course. Anyone that sales anything that’s so heavy shipping is cost prohibitive. But for stores like Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, or others like that? They’re going to suffer, badly unless they adapt. That’s the joy of capitalism.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Naw…the government will just hire them. Does anyone know how many in our work force work for the Federal, State, County or City government?[/quote]

About 4% last I heard.[/quote]

Not even close. Nearly 18% actually (17.77%).

We have a population of over 311,000,000.

Our employment rate (percentage of working age population that is employed) is 58.7 percent.

Working age population is 239,616,000.

This means that we have 140,655,766 people that are of working age and are employed.

The total number of Federal, State, and local (public sector) workers is 25,000,000.

It also means that 115,655,766 people are driving the real economy while 195,344,234 are not.

Seems legit. Surely nothing bad could happen in a system like that.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Our employment rate (percentage of working age population that is employed) is 58.7 percent.

This means that we have 140,655,766 people that are of working age and are employed.

The total number of Federal, State, and local (public sector) workers is 25,000,000.

It also means that 115,655,766 people are driving the real economy while 195,344,234 are not.

Seems legit. Surely nothing bad could happen in a system like that. [/quote]

Can you show me where you go those numbers from?

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Seems legit. Surely nothing bad could happen in a system like that. [/quote]

Can you show me where you go those numbers from?[/quote]

All were simple google searches using two or more sources for verification. The only one that had any statistical variance was public sector numbers. Sources varied by about 800,000 so I just averaged.