T Nation

Resveratrol Questions

I'm wondering if anyone takes resveratrol to inhibit aromatase? If so, what brand and dosage?

Does anyone have any testimonials as to whether this actually works?

Resveratrol works. I’d go with REZ-V from here personally…also take Zinc (additional) and you should be ok with limiting Aromatase or whatever.
From your user name, I’m going to assume you are a vegetarian - which explains the concern? if so, you might want to throw in some creatine, beta-alanine and a source of arachidionic acid (sp?)

Also FWIW i believe eating a clove of fresh garlic after every meal (with a glass of water) - so 5-6 a day - raises testosterone levels substantially over time. The team of dominican powerlifters I have been training with since the last few weeks SWEARS by this for significant strength increases within 2 weeks. I saw good gains in the basic lifts myself without significantly chabging my diet and training.

I am not a believer in resveratrol as an AI. At least, for me, I did not notice anything and I took it for a couple of months.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Resveratrol works. I’d go with REZ-V from here personally…also take Zinc (additional) and you should be ok with limiting Aromatase or whatever.
From your user name, I’m going to assume you are a vegetarian - which explains the concern? if so, you might want to throw in some creatine, beta-alanine and a source of arachidionic acid (sp?)

Also FWIW i believe eating a clove of fresh garlic after every meal (with a glass of water) - so 5-6 a day - raises testosterone levels substantially over time. The team of dominican powerlifters I have been training with since the last few weeks SWEARS by this for significant strength increases within 2 weeks. I saw good gains in the basic lifts myself without significantly chabging my diet and training.[/quote]

Well you are correct, I am a vegetarian, although I do have alot of dairy, vegetables, legumes, and quinoa. I consume alot of whey as well. I’m 181 lbs, and my tanita scale says I’m around 19-20% bodyfat at 56% water level. I’m taking a break from the weight training for 7 days and just doing cardio to see if this helps get the body fat number down.

I started (as of maybe a week and a half ago) taking ZMA before bed. I would actually like to try taking some creatine (I have some creatine monohydrate at home), but I’m not exactly sure how to take the monohydrate to make sure it actually works, everything I’ve seen requires me to take alot of carbs. I am very much an endomorph so this makes the creatine difficult. I’ll definitely look into the beta-alanine and arachidionic acid, those are things I currently don’t take.

With REZ-V, I guess a few people on this board have said that it was ineffective for them, so I’m kind of concerned about it being a waste of money. I’m all for spending, on products that work. Maybe I will give it a try anyway, I’ll have to check on the price again and think it over.

Does the garlic need to be fresh for sure? That would be tricky to take in the office :slight_smile:

Be careful. If you are Indian and gain fat easily, you are likely an ecto-endomorph (skinny fat build) rather than straight endo or endo-meso. You will need to approach training and diet in a different way.
if you are pakistani, then you may well be an endo or endomeso bodytype.

[quote]letshavepaneer wrote:
I am pretty much an endomorph
[/quote]

Hold on, resveratrol has more important benefits other than the claim of it being a good AI.

I firmly believe in resveratrol as an anti-viral and anti-oxidant. When I am taking it regularly and have a few consecutive sleepless nights, I’m able to ward off illness which usually hits me hard if I don’t get my sleep.

That’s just what I’ve observed. Nothing scientific. And this is at a dose of 200 mg per day.

Be careful. If you are Indian and gain fat easily, you are likely an ecto-endomorph (skinny fat build) rather than straight endo or endo-meso. You will need to approach training and diet in a different way.

letshavepaneer wrote:

[/quote]

hey man, I have to say, you pretty much figured out everything about me from my username :slight_smile: My parents are indian actually (north indian). Can you tell me what you meant by training and dieting in a different way? I would be grateful if you can give me any pointers, I’m interested in trying new things and mixing it up.

letshavepaneer wrote:

[/quote]

Hi TD, firstly I want to thank you for raising this interesting subject, I’m delighted to finally read anything on this topic, for the first time ever - but I have to disagree somewhat, in my experience as an NRI.

I agree that Pakistani’s tend to add muscle more easily than Indians, but this is largely due to the preponderance of meat in their diets, and the large amounts of antioxidants (garlic, onions, ginger) found in their cuisine, all of which promote the development of LMT prior to adulthood. Contrast this with hindu diets, which are notoriously low in protein and antioxidants, whilst being as high, or usually higher, in sugars and other empty calories. Lower caste hindus, raised overseas on higher meat-content or western diets, are noticeably more muscular than their average NRI peers who still eat protein-poor diets at home.

Ecto/Meso/Endomorphism are all purely genetic differences, which explains why you see some huge brahmins stuffing their faces with Ladu, and some scrawny Pakistanis who eat large amounts of beef/lamb but never make it above Welterweight.

All that said, I still think it’s important to lay down a good mass base during childhood. I’m convinced that higher protein during this times builds potential for future gains in the gym, although how much is unquantifiable without some studies, hence why I’m saying that bodytype is more important than past childhood diet. On a personal note, I am dead against enforcing vegetarianism on children.

And once again, I want to thank you for having raised the topic.

:slight_smile:

Jaybee.

Interesting discussion. I’d just point out, that the lines between high-protein/low-protein diets aren’t really drawn on the political borders between India and Pakistan, but more-so along the dietary preferences (and perhaps even the genetic differences) found in different parts of the sub-continent.

As one example, Punjabi Sikhs and Hindus living in Northern India pack on muscle as easily as their Punjabi Muslim brethren in Pakistan. This has more to do with them being Punjabi, having “Punjabi genes”, and the Punjabi diet (which can also be fattening, along with being protein-rich), irrespective of whether they live in India or Pakistan.

Another example would be Kashmiris living in Northern India - who tend to have sturdier builds than many Indians hailing from southern states.