Resume

I am writing my resume. However, my experience is, well limited. I want a position with more reponsibility, more challenging - something a little more than simply sit behind a deck until I cant hold my eyes open anymore.

For that I need...a history which brings to face the responsibilities, character and leadership, and experience for the job Im applying for.

How do you make your resume so that it makes you stand out as...more of a leader...F.ex. I worked for an Airline as a ramp agent, handling communications with inbound/outbound aircraft, filled FAA mandatory paperwork, performed security checks, prepared weather/route/field reports, prepared end of day paperwork for the FAA and the Airline...but I was never in a supervisory or amangerial position. So, can you make yourself stand out as someone of responsibility who you could charge with more responsibility?

Just wondering as Im completing my resume, Any input would be appreciated.

Pm me and I’ll try and set you up with some links. Ciao. :slight_smile:

Use the “power words.” Try to describe what you did in the most “responsible” way possible. Shoot what you’ve got to me in a PM (or get my e-mail addy by PM) and I’ll see what I can do to work it over.

Utilize the thesaurus.

Diesel, just curious… how old are you?

I’ve been looking over resumes for possible new hires lately at work, and I can tell you that it’s possible to overdo it. It really turns me off when people say things like “I have outstanding interpersonal skills.” Maybe that’s just me, though.

Diesel - I’ve critiqued a ton of resumes, as this was one of my jobs in college. PM me and you can send it my way and I’ll jazz it up a bit then send it back. You can take all personal info off, if you would like.

I totally disagree with the utilizing the thesaurus comment. You should never say things in any document if you wouldn’t say them usually.

So simply don’t try to act smarter than you really are by trying to impress someone with a higher level of educated vocabulary.

Building a really effective cover letter and r?sum? take some time. I would never use those templates in word or publisher. You can use publisher to make your r?sum?, but don’t use the templates. Remember, you trying to fight for space, and word doesn’t utilize space very well.

If you want some pointers, I’ve taken a very indepth business communications course at my university. I’d be more than happy to tell you how one should set a r?sum? and cover letter up.

Basically make yourself look as good as possible. Make it seem like when you cleaned those toilet bowls, you made the bathroom a safer place and you had such a great responsility to keep people’s asses clean. Just jokin’ but you get the point.

diesel I thought u were going away to boot camp? What happend to that?

Thanx for all the help.

Char, Im 23.

I do have experience preparing resumes. Thing is, I want a job with more responsibility and one that is more challenging. The last 2 years Ive held 4 jobs. That should say something.

Im no specifically trying to pretty up my resume with expensive words per se - although I apreciate the point that you should never overdo it. You never know what I mightve end up doing.
My point is more how do I pick up my responsibilities at my previous jobs and twist them just so in order to come across as a good candidate for a position which requires more responsibility.

I have to say I have an extreme aversion to anything that’s a store: it’s my biggest nightmare. I cannot work in a store, supermarket, Dunkin Donuts, etc.
I do however want at least a chance to grow up to a more supervisory position where I can develop LEADERSHIP skills which I can use to further improve my resume. See, I want to be a pilot in the future - not just any pilot, I want to be the chief pilot for a major airline. Now, itll be a long haul there. Other things Im doing will help me get there: my Air Force service (no Marines after all my preaching), the fact Im majoring in Aerospace Management; the fact Ill minor in ROTC and get comissioned in the Air Force as a Second Lieutenant; the fact Ill be a C-5 crew chief in the Air Force (the c-5 is the biggest aircraft in the US, and the nobody knows the aircraft inside and out better than the crew chief - he identifies and fixes any problems be it electrical, engine, airframe, hidraulic…). Still I want something which will build me up a little more. I dont want to just do what someone tells me to do and never being able to move up to a supervisory position - I want to be able to show I can lead others. However, my resume needs to be top notch for it.

All those in management position, what skills does one need to perfrm at a supervisory or managerial position in general? I have computer skills with MS Word, Internet (duh), Adobe acrobat, Excell and outlook are lacking, I have experience with Powerpoint and a bit with Website editors such as Macromedia DreamWeaver.
 Any Gym owners here? Im looking into getting a job at a Gym possibly, as I know Ill enjoy that. Thanx for hearing my plight, lol.

Fitone:

After much thought I decided to join the Air Force Resevre. That’s right. The earliest Boot Camp my recruiter could get me for the position of C-5 crew chief was March of next year much to both his and my dismay. There is still a chance someone will drop out at the last minute and open up an earlier date for me. If you stop noticing posts from me, thats what happened.

See, my goal is this: be a pilot for a major Airline like Delta or United. Not just a pilot but a captain in the biggest muthafuckin jet the Airline has. I want to move up to eventually become a chief Pilot for my particular branch. After weighing my choices - being gung ho for 4 years and return with my pilot licenses still unfinished, or gain extensive knowledge fixing and trouble shooting the biggest plane in the world, followed by a stint as a flight engineer in the C-5…all while finishing a 4 year degree in Aerospace Management with my GI Bill, finishing my pilot licenses, getting a minor degree in AFROTC which allows me to become a comssioned Officer as a 2nd lieutenant…and after a couple years fixing a C-5 getting a job with a major airline as a mechanic only to move up to a pilot position in the future, which with my solid history of leadership, working under pressure, reputation for bein an AF Officer, and my Aerospace Management degree, should give me a great edge in moving up to chief pilot in the future…

Especially with a childhood history of asthma triggered by allergies im not happy with march at all. July would be PERFECT in spite of the heat, and that was the date my recruiter had tried for, only to find out Crew Chiefs are not going to boot camp prior to March 04, unlike civil engineers who are leaving in October even though I signed up before they did…Im actually considering possibly changing my career field into Airfield Management, but Im only looking into it so far.

Excel takes practice to learn how to use - there’s so much you can do with it. I suggest getting a book or taking a night class on it. Out look is extremely easy to use - it’s basically a calendar and email. Management is not so much as to what skills you have, but what you can do for the people under you. Are you a good motivator? Can you establish guidelines and principles for everyone to live by? Are you fair and just? Can you delegate responsibility? Things like that are key in management.

If you’re 23, you’re not going to get a manager position. I’m 25, and I just had my first team lead role on a small security and data privacy team for a global client, and I’ve been working for the client for 1 year, and worked for the same company for 2 years. You job-hopped 4 times already, which doesn’t help you, and your lack of experience is not going to get you what you think you want.

If I were you, I’d express the desire for more resonsibilities, etc. to your supervisor or someone who’s hiring you and beef up the resume w/ powerful action words. For example “prepared reports” sound boring.

For example, I was an end-to-end integration test scenario owner, which meant that I was in charge of executing 7 test scenarios that involved over 40 interfaces to test across 35 different countries. I could’ve made the resume sound really boring by stating the following:

Tested CRM and ERP systems. Logged defects. Reported status in status meetings.

Instead I wrote:

Identified, analyzed, tracked, and prioritized issues and followed up for resolutions. Managed supporting testers and IT team resources to resolve defects. Executed end-to-end integration test scenarios involving Oracle, SAP, and other boundary applications interfaces. Communicated daily status to the senior management and the IT team leads and escalated issues accordingly.

Anyways, good luck. the job market’s not the best, it’s not going to be easy, but I’m quite sure you’ll find something you like.

Diesel.
When I look to employ someone,then I like to look at a resume that is honest regarding a persons past.
I never like it when people try and “dress” their previous jobs up,which seems to be quite popular these days.
An example of this is when College graduates put down that they were a stock control operative,when it really means they stacked shelves at WalMart!.

Do not worry about having four jobs in two years,that is really quite common now,particulary as you are only 23.
Look at it as gaining experience in different areas.

Airforce Wtf? You will learn more about the aircraft in the Marines then the Airforce.

Do you want a cronological or a skills based resume? What I mean by skills based is it doesn’t just list your jobs and what you did. It shows what skills you have and what you can do. Then after that it lists where you worked. Also since your are(or will be) mechanically/electrically trained why not get a job in a similar field? Or utilizing those skills?

www.brassring.com

Jobs suck. I’ll never take one again.

ArcaneCocaine, that is very interesting - thanx!! Ill be checking out those links.

-Solo,

He could learn a lot about aircraft, but nothing bigger than a KC130. If he wants big planes the airfarce is the way to go.

Seems like a well thought out plan, hope things go well.