T Nation

Results With the Velocity Diet?

Curiosity kills the cat, so be easy.

What was your results after the Velocity Diet?

Pros/Cons?

Thanks,

Law

It works. It will rip the fat off you quite quickly!

However, as a drastic diet is does have some issues to be ready for.

It is quite possible to be negatively affected mood wise. I think this could be due to low carbohydrate levels. If you don't regularly have to deal with situations that test your patience, then you may not notice this.

An extreme drop in calories of this nature has your body making adjustments. If you are exposed to cold and flu containing environments I think you are less able to resist. Take your vitamins, get lots of sleep and do what you can to minimize your exposure.

When you finish, due to low carbs and low calories, your body is very ready to put weight back on. Luckily, this is balanced by another strong plus -- your eating habits and mental viewpoints towards food can be greatly affected in a positive way.

However, if you found it necessarily to bail out of the diet before adjusting your habits, you would want to do so in a controlled way.

That's all I can think of off the cuff. I did it last year and might do it again this year if I find summer approaching faster than my goals.

Oh, one final note, do use the supplements and guidelines as outlined by Chris. They are vital in helping to preserve muscle mass and help control appetite. A lot of people make huge changes and then expect to get the same results as the velocity diet.

If you want the results of the velocity diet, do the actual diet! :wink:

Oh, and numbers wise, I lost about 13 pounds in two weeks while maintaining strength in my lifts. I only did about half the full diet as my work environment was mentally trying... and I needed to get back to a higher carb level to stay sane.

I lost about 15 lbs the first time I did the V-Diet last year. After a 2-month bulking period, I started the V-Diet in mid-February of this year. Work required me to take in more solid meals than the diet allows, but in the end I still expect to lose about 12 lbs.

Overall, I think that anyone whose bodyfat is relatively high will need to run through the V-Diet a couple of times in order to achieve a decent state of being lean (i.e. reaching the 10% bodyfat level). In fact, I'd suggest doing the V-Diet no more frequently than twice a year, preferrably only once a year. In between, you can go on a bulking cycle to put on some mass. In this regard, remember that you'll gain more mass if you start out leaner.

Consequently, the V-Diet is a great way to get your bodyfat down so as to maximize muscle gain, while minimizing bodyfat gain. For example, someone who is at the 5% bodyfat level will gain 70% muscle and 30% fat, whereas someone who is at the 10% bodyfat level will gain 50% muscle and 50% fat. So the leaner you are, the better.

Wow, is that true? I've never heard that before.

No. You'll gain more muscle mass if you bulk, then maintain for a month or two so your body gets used to the weight. THEN, cutting.

IF you bulk, then cut right away (not to mention a diet as drastic as the V-diet) youre going to lose quite a bit of muscle mass.

Where the shit did you get those percentages? I'm pretty sure anyone at 5% bf will gain more fat than muscle if all they eat is shit. Then, take someone at 15% bf and ate clean, they'd gain more muscle than fat.

Also, I'm pretty sure you meant anyone with 5% bf would gain 70.7519% muscle and 29.2481% fat.

Haven't been on the V-Diet, but I just had to say that your avatar gets thumbs up!

I personally haven't been on the diet, but my workout partner and his wife both tried it and after about two weeks they were ready to kill each other. They notice a difference on the scale though.

The general idea is true. I think he was just using those numbers as an example. Anyways Berardi has written about it here (at the bottom) http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_jul272001.htm

I didn't get it from John Berardi, but rather from someone who learned it from him:

http://tinyurl.com/z6wsx

Also, here are some interesting blurbs from Dan Duchaine on the topic:

"However, let me assume you're in a bodybuilding mode. It wouldn't be wise for you to start a weight-gain program, which includes eating more and lessening your aerobics (as being aerobically fit interferes with acquiring muscle), if you're already fat."

"Let me further assume your metabolism isn't astounding (if it were, you wouldn't be writing me for advice). For gaining weight, I use a very narrow fat window. I suggest that you start your weight-gain program when your bodyfat is 9% or lower. Needless to say, many individuals who'd like to gain weight will be disappointed to learn that they should actually go on a weight-loss diet before embarking on a bulking phase. The fat window slams shut (in my opinion) at 12% bodyfat. At this point, you should either hold your bodyfat at the 12% mark for a while or diet back down to 9% for another bulking phase. Many of you might have another question after reading this advice: is it better to stay at the 12% for a while, or should I immediately diet down? I think the term is "solidifying" the mass--somewhat like curing concrete--rather than "dieting down." And I have no answer on this. Personally, I think you'll find that your metabolism will be at its highest, in terms of! body temperature, during a bulking phase (unless you're eating high amounts of saturated fats), and this is a very nice time to start a weight-loss regimen, when your metabolism is optimum."

"I'm afraid there's no textbook in which to look up magic answers on how many weeks you should be bulking up. Some individuals with enormous appetites and very poor eating habits could go from 9% to 12% within a few weeks. But everybody would like some hard numbers. The average 200-pound bodybuilder would have a fat window of 3% about 6 pounds. If you plan your bulk program over 8 weeks, this would allow a weekly fat accumulation of 3/4 of a pound. This seems workable to me. And most weight-loss diets stop working after about 5 or so weeks, so a bodybuilder at 12% should be able to diet down to a 9% bulk phase again after about 6 weeks of dieting."

Pros:

Lost 16 pounds in 28 days.

Have more control of my eating habits.

Cons:

Felt like crap after the first two weeks.

Lost substantial strength in many lifts and am still working on regaining the strength.

I think overall it was a positve experience but as with anything extreem it can me mentally and physically exhausting.

I stayed on the diet for three weeks: went from 185 to 171/172. I have maintained that.

I can confirm the extreme irritation at wanting carbs: I refer to it as the "I will rip that donut out of your mouth" phase. Very distressing for me. Others did not have that affect.

It is harder to eat. Trying to get to 2000 cal a day is hard to do. I am too used to being full on a shake. I sat down to a chicken with salad/cottage cheese dinner and could only get the chicken down....the rest sat on the plate.

Do youknow if you lost any muscle?

I would say that I must have lost some muscle, otherwise my strength would have come back since I started eating again. It has just beemn about 3 weeks since I finished and still am not eating a lot. What the poster above said about not being able to eat much now is very true. I have to force myself now.

I think muscle loss was minimal really. One more thing I am happy about is that I can run for 30 minutes and not have shin pain. Prior to the diet I could not do cardio for more than 3 minutes without my shins to really start hurting. The main exercize I lost strength on was my bench. Lost about 40 pounds on flat BP and about 15 on incline DB. Squats, deads, shoulders all stayed the same pretty much. I did notice that I did not lose the chest strength till after I finished the diet. Weird but that is what happened.

Still a positive experience I would say, but not easy.