T Nation

Results After 6 Months of JB & CW

Hi guys,

Long time lurker on T-Nation, guess it’s time to come out of the shadows.

I am 25 years old, 6ft and when I started weightlifting about 1.5 years ago I was around 176lbs. While I am not an extreme ectomorph, I have always been quite skinny and look a lot lighter than I weigh - heavy bones are not a myth!! :wink:

In the beginning I followed a diet with lots of carbs and protein and little fat. Probably around 3500 calories a day. This, coupled with mostly compound lifts, led to quite a bit of progress - I gained about 15 lbs during the first half year. Unfortunately a lot of it was fat and while was stronger I was not happy with my looks.

After 6 months, about 190 lbs:

(The above picture is a current one and should have been last - I can’t edit it for some reason)

Then came spring 07 and I had a motorcycle crash during a track day. I got quite beat up and also had a complicated break in my arm. This kept me out of the gym for 6 months during which I lost all my previous gains. I was back to 175 lbs and now had a permanent wrist problem as well.

Unfortunately no pics from this time.

While I was injured I came across John Berardi and his Precision Nutrition package. It looked good and I was keen on getting my nutrition under control as soon as I was ready to work out again.

I have now been working out again for 6 months, mostly following Chad Waterbury’s programs (ABBH, BBB, ABBH II). I usually do cardio 1-2 times and hit the weight 3 times a week.

I think my progress is ok but I know that it could be much better if I was more consistant with my nutrition. I don’t have a problem with eating the right stuff, but I do miss meals far too frequently.

Current weight is around ~194lbs and I have no idea about BF:

My goal is to gain another 10lbs or so while lowering my bodyfat. I do quite a lot of sports where the additional weight is a disadvantage (climbing, running) so I am definitely not shooting for bodybuilder big.

And I really need to get some ARMS! Any good programs you guys can recommend?

Very nice work man, great stuff! for arms, since you need to be strong in relation to your bodyweight, try hitting up weighted chin ups/pull ups and dips.

There is an arm specialization program by CT, I think it’s called war-room guns, search it

[quote]Lukas wrote:
My goal is to gain another 10lbs or so while lowering my bodyfat. I do quite a lot of sports where the additional weight is a disadvantage (climbing, running) so I am definitely not shooting for bodybuilder big.

And I really need to get some ARMS! Any good programs you guys can recommend?[/quote]

You look good. You’ve made some good progress and at least have an idea of how to eat and train. If you’re a climber and you want guns, then chin-ups and pull-ups need to added.

When I first started lifting, I had good results from doing 21’s with an arm blaster, concentration curls, and preacher curls. But hey, to each his own.

You know what, skip the arm routines. You don’t want “size” then do just the chin-ups. It will help with your climbing. Of course, if you want bigger arms, you are going to have to gain weight some how.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have been doing lots of chins and dips, they are 2 of the main upper body exercises the Waterbury programs focus on. Chad doesn’t believe in direct arm work though, so I have almost not done any.

In total my arms have grown about 3/4 of an inch, so definitely not enough for a 20lb gain in lean body mass.

I found the “gun show” program by Thib that Novagreg mentioned above and will be following it for a month. Let’s see if some direct arm work can finally stimulate some growth! Then I’ll be going back to the basics to get those Bench, DL and Squat numbers to a respectable level.

Cheers,
L