Restoring Glycogen?

After a period of low-carb dieting, how long does it take to fully replenish/restore glycogen stores?

Approximately 3 days.

Does the type of carb consumed during a “refeed” increase the speed upon which glycogen can be replenished?

I couldn’t imagine a refeed would hinder or slow down the restoration process. If anything it will help.

It can be done it in 48 hours but its complicated like CaliforniaLaw said 3 days

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Does the type of carb consumed during a “refeed” increase the speed upon which glycogen can be replenished?[/quote]

This is debatable but I think so. I like Dan Duchaines carb ups because I’ve had success with his methods.

No science behind my theory, but id have thought high GI foods would increase it quicker than lower GI foods…

[quote]sjfou wrote:
No science behind my theory, but id have thought high GI foods would increase it quicker than lower GI foods…[/quote]

Yes, high GI foods can speed up the process. We could literally discuss this for hours. Here is a great starting point:
http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/mcdonald/carb-up-and-ketogenic-diet.htm

Just know there is a debate (imagine that!) over whether high GI carbs should be used, whether fats and carbs are OK to mix while carbing up, whether a “glycogen depletion workout” should be done before the carb-up, whether and to what extent carb-loaded meals should be times, etc.

There are a lot of very smart people on every side of those issues. There are a lot of strong arguments on both sides. I have my own opinion, but it’s only relevant to me; others would consider my truth to be heresy. So the only way to answer the question is (again, imagine that) by experimenting and listening to your body.

That, by the way, is pretty much the answer to just about any bodybuilding-related question.

thanks CLaw, great post