T Nation

Resting Position Between Sets

Does how you keep the muscle that is being worked in between sets effect anything, like how fast blood can get to it and how fast it can recover?

For example, let’s say you were doing bicep curls. After a set, would you want to keep your arms fully extended, fully bent, or somewhere in between?
It would get a bit more complex for compound movements, I’d guess.

Stretching the antagonist muscle (tricep in your example) actually improves the performance of the targeted muscle.

Don’t know if that helps, but stretching the antagonist is a position.

I think you’re overthinking things.

Train. Eat. Rest. Repeat.

That’s all you need.

Yea, it’s a minute detail, but if people can have discussions on how certain types of plastic shake mixers might slightly lower T, then I think it’s ok to ask this. :slight_smile:

I’d say stretch the antagonist like stated above…but that could get tricky if u then want to use that same antagonist later on in working sets…stretching right before some sets will take some power out of it. i just hold my hands over my head, or jump rope lightly.

for upper body whether it’s pulling or pushing i just let my arms hang by my sides

for lower body i get up and walk around slowly while drinking water

I just stand over the weight rack looking at my next set of victims ie the 110lbers

Wait, I thought you were supposed to lift your shirt up and check out your rippt abz in the mirror after each set of curls… ?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Wait, I thought you were supposed to lift your shirt up and check out your rippt abz in the mirror after each set of curls… ?[/quote]

Or pull down your pants. Either way.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Wait, I thought you were supposed to lift your shirt up and check out your rippt abz in the mirror after each set of curls… ?[/quote]

I’m amazed at how many people actually do this. It’s always the skinny kids my age or a bit older that lift their shirts and rub their abs a bit after each set. Honestly, nobody wants to see your shaven chest and the chicks doing cardio are facing the other way. Keep your damn top on.

Good question. Stretching the muscle in between sets will help because you’ll lengthen the (fascia) and in turn be able to create bigger muscles…

Just don’t overstretch the work muscles and you’ll be fine.

So… stretch the muscle being worked a bit and stretch the antagonist a bit, but not too much if you’re working it that same day?

[quote]Artem wrote:
Yea, it’s a minute detail, but if people can have discussions on how certain types of plastic shake mixers might slightly lower T, then I think it’s ok to ask this. :)[/quote]

It’s not okay to have plastic shaker discussions.

Don’t worry about your resting position. Get a drink, take some breaths, and walk around.

[quote]Artem wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Wait, I thought you were supposed to lift your shirt up and check out your rippt abz in the mirror after each set of curls… ?

I’m amazed at how many people actually do this. It’s always the skinny kids my age or a bit older that lift their shirts and rub their abs a bit after each set. Honestly, nobody wants to see your shaven chest and the chicks doing cardio are facing the other way. Keep your damn top on.[/quote]

In my area too brother, I really don’t get it. Usually their visible abs are the only additional muscle they carry on their frame.