Resting Glucose Came Back as 101 with a Normal Range of 70-99

Maybe we can salvage this! What are you doing now?

More movement and reduced carbs/ calories seems to show up well.

Intermittent fasting is an interesting one. I’ve read a couple studies that show fasting blood sugar reductions of 3-6% following 8-12 weeks of IF. Acutely, though, blood sugar levels can be higher after longer fasts and folks are likely to overeat after deprivation, which may then lead to hyperglycemia.

On the other hand, if you’re a grazer, you may maintain steady blood sugar levels. What seems to happen practically, though, is folks eat too much or too frequently and end up elevating throughout the day. I’d shy away from this strategy, because it just seems logical that it’s going to be easier to create insulin resistance since your pancreas is working all day.

What seems to make the most sense to me is to eat your carbs primarily peri workout/ before bed (if you need them to sleep) and go low carb and relatively infrequent meals otherwise.

Really we should start a thread and ask @mertdawg because he has an incredible working knowledge of all things insulin.

1 Like

I was doing some obvious things that weren’t helping before which mostly boiled down to too frequently eating things with sugar in them. I was never having large servings of sweets but I was having them too frequently. I changed that though I’ve slipped a bit recently.

I also tried keeping most of my carbs on my weight lifting days for a while. I’d say I did this for about 3-4 months, which led to losing ~7 pounds. I brought carbs back on my non-lifting days but have focused on better carb sources.

Supplement wise, I am taking apple cider vinegar before bed. I used a couple of fiber supplements for several months but had to stop after a bout of Covid messed up my GI tract and I was no longer able to tolerate them.

I need to go get my fasting glucose tested again to see if any of this has made a difference. I’m also going to make sure the next time I test it that I do it on a day that doesn’t fall after a training day to make sure the cortisol from the lifting isn’t impacting the numbers (yes, I realize this is probably wishful thinking on my part).

1 Like

Sounds like you’re doing smart things. I’d definitely be curious to see what impact it has had on your numbers

1 Like

I really need to pull the trigger and get the test done. It’s only thirty bucks via direct labs. Maybe later this week.

1 Like

Fuck you. Why don’t you call the 300 or so employers that I applied for jobs at and let them know to hire me?

You’re a moron. You’re “out” because you have no real argument and just want to bitch at someone. In short, you’re an asshole. Did you parents ever help you get a vehicle? did anyone ever help you at all with anything like this? I was never handed a damn thing growing up and if you would have paid attention to my earlier post, I stated that I’m saving up for a motorcycle. I’ve been to countless interviews that told me to my face they don’t hire someone without their own vehicle, including a security job that I had to wait in 90 degree heat for over two hours just to have a 2 minute interview for them to turn me down because I don’t have a vehicle.

Here’s the thing man- When sorting through the options you wiggled out of everything suggested.

Mind you, this is to help you with a problem you presented. So all of that wiggle room you allow yourself is you screwing yourself out of the help you asked for.

No job but saving money?

:thinking: You gotta tell us how that works.

2 Likes

Cool thread.
This weekend we bought a glucose meter and strips and tested the whole family. It was kinda fun. We were worried because one of the kids was acting out and it seemed to correlate with consumption of Halloween candy lol.
Turns out he was in the normal range (less than 140 after eating, less than 100 2 hours later).

But surprisingly, my superfit wife was just above! Around 144 and 108 respectively.

She runs 3 miles 5 days per week, walks and does occasional calisthenics, chases kids and dogs, has very low bodyfat.

She does eat a lot of carbs, and drinks a Dr Pepper daily.
Do you guys think those numbers are concerning enough to merit a Dr visit or just “the way she is”?

Absent the test, we would not have suspected any issues.

1 Like

If she isn’t already getting annual blood work, I’d do that. Not because of the test you did, but just because I think getting annual blood work religiously is a good idea. Or at least every other year.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Not to mention, @jdm135, that lets you put the blood sugar number in a more holistic context. Some slightly out of range numbers make more sense in light of the rest of your bloodwork.

So - no panic, just schedule physicals annually.

2 Likes

Commercial glucose monitors have a pretty wide error range. + 8 is nothing

As others have said, getting blood work done by the doctors is best

2 Likes

Precisely what blood tests are you basing this on and what were the results?

based on that, I will have several additional questions.

Just the typical fasting glucose test that is included in the metabolic panel my doctor runs for me as part of my yearly physical. Over the last couple of years the I’ve gone from the low 90s to the last test at 99 mg/dl.

In terms of lab work, the most valuable test to track long-term trends in blood glucose levels is an A1c. It’s a 3-month snapshot of average blood glucose levels. If that number is out of range or increases every time it’s measured, it’s concerning. If it doesn’t, or if it decreases, things are all good.

@jdm135 If I were your wife, I’d get that measured now and then rechecked at least annually. That’ll tell her if she needs to fire “Dr. Pepper” and hire his wife “Diet Dr. Pepper”. :wink:

3 Likes

So first off, would you say that you eat a lower carb, higher fat diet, or a higher carb, lower fat diet. Lower carb I’d say would be 40% or less of calories with more calories from fat than from carbs. Higher carb would be 45%+ carbs, and definitely more carbs that fat in terms of calories.

Higher fat, lower carb diets tend to raise fasting blood sugar a little bit, especially in the early morning because of something called the “dawn” effect and also “physiological insulin resistance” which is not pathological, but the body’s natural tendency to try to keep fasting blood sugar a little higher when you aren’t eating many carbs.

3 Likes

At the time of my last test, which was back in February, I was eating a higher carb diet.

OK, did you have an HbA1C test? It is a much better gauge of around the clock blood sugar than morning fasting blood sugar. Most labs will do it for an out of pocket cost of <$20, although it might have been done on your last round of tests. With a fasting of 99 your doctor might be likely to prescribe it anyway. A level of <5.7 is considered normal. 5.7-6.4 is considered problematic.

2 Likes

I didn’t. My last A1C test was in 2019. I’m going to order one through Direct Labs. Do you think it is worth repeating the fasting glucose test too?

No, I wouldn’t repeat the fasting glucose.

1 Like

I finally got this done. A1C came back at 4.8, which is the same as it was in 2019 the only other time I’ve had it tested.

2 Likes